no rendererts found UMS 10.8.2 and previous versions

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
nmharleyrider

no rendererts found UMS 10.8.2 and previous versions

Post by nmharleyrider »

I am running Windows 10Pro with 16gb of memory. For over a year now I have been forced to use Kodi and Plex to stream my PC videos to my TV. I get no renderers every time and a Java bind error that the port is already used in another program. I have tried dozens and dozens of different ports with the same result. I have used UMS for many, many years and versions but about a year ago I have been getting the "port in use" during a Java Bind command. I have Googled for hundreds and hundreds of hours looking at the problems people have described over and over. I have tried dozens of solutions people have proposed but nothing works. Today I deleted the version 10.8.2 I had installed and deleted the entire folder containing the install. I reinstalled Version 10.8.2 today in a clean install and put one shared folder in the shared folder area. I created a trace log which I am attaching in the hope that you can find something to solver my issue. I really like UMS better than both Kodi and Plex and want to be able to continue using it so please please help me find the solution. I hope this trace log will give you all the info you need to solve this. I cannot understand why I get this error because nothing like it shows up when I run Plex and Kodi. I have run the PS3 server program but I get the same error message.
Attachments
ums_dbg_2021-08-02-12-45.zip
(46.82 KiB) Downloaded 124 times
Nadahar

Re: no rendererts found UMS 10.8.2 and previous versions

Post by Nadahar »

The error message is misleading, so it's no so strange that you've gone done some dead ends.

UMS binds to 3 ports (by default): 5001, 9001 and 1900. The two first are bound "exclusively" so that no other program can bind to the same port as long as UMS is running. These are where the problem normally lies, and that's why the error message is written as it is.

For port 1900 however, the "rules" are different. It is not configurable, it's the pre-defined SSDP/UPnP port and it's used for multicast. That means that nothing should bind to it in "exclusive" mode and an unlimited number of different applications and services is supposed to be bound to it in parallel. In short, it should be "impossible" to get a bind error for port 1900.

I have seen it before though, and it "must" be caused by some other software running on the computer. That can either be another applications that binds to port 1900 in a way that makes it exclusive, which should not happen, or it can be an "antivirus", "firewall" or other "security software" that think it's "unsafe" to let UMS bind to it.

Either way, you should try to stop as much other software and services as possible until it works, and then try to enable them one by one until you find the culprit. I don't know how Plex gets around this, unless you use Plex in some way that doesn't rely on UPnP. The fact that PS3 Media Server also fails makes sense, the problem should apply to any UPnP software that you try to run on your computer as long as port 1900 is "blocked".

If you have an antivirus software that also "protects" your network, either with a firewall function or some other kind of "monitoring", I would start by disabling that and try. This problem isn't with UMS itself, so you could try to remember what other software you installed or updated around the time the problem started.
mik_s

Post by mik_s »

There are ways of finding out which program is using a particular port like this which should help you trace what program is using port 1900. If the culprit is an antivirus program there might be an option to free that port.
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

@mik_s If some other software somehow managed to reserve the port exclusively, it would probably show up there. If there's some kind of "security" software preventing the bind, I doubt it will show as this software wouldn't actually be listening to the port itself, it would just interfere with the bind request and make sure it was rejected.