Another Samsung thread "An error occurred"

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
Mavrik347

Another Samsung thread "An error occurred"

Post by Mavrik347 »

Hi guys, I've been getting really frustrated with this yesterday. I've been trying to migrate our media collection to UMS but I'm just having no luck. I had this working on our 8 series TV after disabling dts support but after updating from UMS 9.7 even that's stopped working.

I've read through loads of posts mentioning DTS etc. and I can't see it in the config file.
When I enable the TRANSCODE folder and use the no transcoding stream it works, but there is no audio support.

The TV is a 2021 model QN95A.
The documentation for this TV is here and the codec spec sheet is on page 160.
https://downloadcenter.samsung.com/cont ... 0609.0.pdf

Would really appreciate some help here, literally bought a QLED cinema setup for the Mrs and none of the media works unless we get all the discs out and start pissing about like it's the 90's...
Attachments
ums_dbg_2021-08-13-11-33.zip
(96.88 KiB) Downloaded 228 times
mik_s

Re: Another Samsung thread "An error occurred"

Post by mik_s »

I've seen quite a few TVs no longer supporting DTS, I think its a licensing issue and is just cheaper for companies to not support it.
This seems to be confirmed that your TV does not since you have tried to play with the no transcoding option but getting no audio.

There are a few ways around this. UMS will detect if a file uses DTS and will transcode it on the fly. This has some downsides though, some renderers like Samsung TVs are not great with transcoded video, like being unable to seek. So Transcoding should be avoided whenever possible. If your video is 4K then this will push even powerful computers so is not recommended.

If you have an external sound bar then it is possible that it will support DTS and you can pass though the audio using ARC. You would have to add 'dts' into the lines for mp4 and mkv (at least) in the supported formats section of the conf so that UMS won't transcode.

If you cannot get the video in another format you could use something like HandBrake to manually transcode it.

I see in your logs that you have forced transcoding of .mkv files, its best to leave that blank and let UMS detect if it needs to transcode or not. That option is in the transcoding settings tab.
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
Mavrik347

Post by Mavrik347 »

Hi mik_s, sorry for the slow reply. First chance I've had.

I have a fairly beefy PC and Cat6A infrastructure in the house so that part doesn't concern me. However Handbrake appears to lose HDR10 as it's only 8bit? Any ideas as to a decent 10bit encoder with hardware acceleration support?

I did try with the soundbar by the way and no luck :/
mik_s

Post by mik_s »

Its good you have a setup that can handle transcoded videos well, but if you are force transcoding then you lose the original encoding into something that is guaranteed to be playable, but may be at a lower quality.

Also not sure how this would with a soundbar if it is transcoding. I don't know how to go about setting up ARC though.

Sorry can't be much help with re-encoding. I have only used Handbrake a few times and just used a standard profile. It should be possible to use any format though as I believe it is basically a GUI for FFmpeg. I don't know of any other encoders though.
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

I guess there are two problems here:
1) Transcoded videos aren't being recognised by your TV
2) When we do transcode, we might lose the HDR

Let's try to fix #1 first, then we can work on #2, because I have been meaning to do that for a while.

I'll reply with a suggestion soon, just need to go out for an hour or so
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

Can you try exiting UMS and replacing the renderer config "Samsung-UHD-2019.conf" with the attached one? It will be in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Universal Media Server\renderers"
Attachments
Samsung-UHD-2019.conf
(9.7 KiB) Downloaded 291 times
Mavrik347

Post by Mavrik347 »

SubJunk wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 11:42 am Can you try exiting UMS and replacing the renderer config "Samsung-UHD-2019.conf" with the attached one? It will be in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Universal Media Server\renderers"
Hi SubJunk, so sorry for the late response and thank you for looking into this. I've been on 70hr weeks trying to complete a project.

I've replaced the file and most play now except one MKV which the TV seems to think is an AVI file, however there is a very noticeable deterioration in the quality of the video (even on 1080p).

Below I've put some information in-case it's of use to you.

MKV file the TV thinks is an AVI:

Memory and Bitrate:

The house is lined with Cat6A network cable (albeit through a 1Gb switch) and the PC running the show is:
CPU: Intel 11600K @ 4.6Ghz, 6 core, 12 threads
32GB RAM
GPU: RTX 2080 Super (Don't know if you use hardware acceleration)

Thanks again, really appreciate your time. This is driving me crazy.
mik_s

Post by mik_s »

Could you do some new logs using that conf? I don't think UMS is using the right one going by that screenshot (NotCD).
Some renderers can appear twice if they have features like second screen or have a custom name, and UMS can think they are separate devices and may pick the incorrect conf for one of them.
Mavrik347

Post by Mavrik347 »

Of course, see attached.
Attachments
ums_dbg_2021-08-31-19-22.zip
(62.38 KiB) Downloaded 196 times
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

I see the wrong renderer config was being detected there. Please try the attached one which will hopefully match your TV
Attachments
Samsung-UHD-2019.conf
(9.6 KiB) Downloaded 298 times