“Cannot play the media.” after pausing PS4

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
scratchfury

“Cannot play the media.” after pausing PS4

Post by scratchfury »

On my PS4, whenever I pause a video and then press play, I get “Cannot play the media.” Sometimes I can continue where I left off by playing the file again, but sometimes I have issues and have to restart and forward to where I was. Is there a setting or technique I need to use to avoid this?
mik_s

Re: “Cannot play the media.” after pausing PS4

Post by mik_s »

It has been mentioned before here and here but no-one could not find a reason why it was happening.

I have found that it only happens when the video is being transcoded. There must be some interaction with the PS4 when it is paused and resumed that causes it, but it does not always happen. Usually you can just play the file again to continue even if the icon says it can't be played, but sometimes that does not work and has to start from the beginning.

The way round it is to stop the video instead of pausing, and it will continue from where it left off when restarted.
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

Please provide logs after reproducing it so we can try to see if we can fix it
mik_s

Post by mik_s »

@Subjunk I don't think anything shows up in the log when that happens, might need to use wireshark. Do you still have a PS4? Could you try to replicate it by transcoding something and pausing it, then try to resume.
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

Good idea, I'll try. I have experienced that with my Panasonic TV too when transcoding