UMS Fails start after update

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
Yoji

UMS Fails start after update

Post by Yoji »

Hi,

Hope I not wasting people time.. but this has been happening too frequently.. I assumed "it cant be just me, so sure they will be aware and fix it next time"
but its been going on for MANY update cycles.. but is not 100% consistent.
So.. you issue a new update.. I install.. and about 40% of the time, after the update has installed.. and you get the "start UMS" at the end of th eprocesss. I say yes.. but nothing happens..
I reboot.. nothing.. it still wont start... I see nothing in task manager... its just dead.
So I dont spend much time on it.. I just uninstall, reboot, reinstall (not "clean".. just install in same place as it was before) and it works fine.
As I say.. I experience this about 40% of your updates.. and its been happening forever (since 9.x prob.... def during 10.x and I update almost every update you do).
The reason I am now opening a forum post.. is because I updated my bothers machine today.. and the experience was the same.. so it def "not just me"!!!
but I cant understand why your forum is not inundated with people with the same issue?
Both our machine are Win 10 .. me prof.. him home.. both up to date 21H1... me super up to date... him a bit more slack.
We have different AV solutions (me Kaspersky.. him AVG free).. my most recent upgrade from 10.10.0 -> 10.11.0 him 10.4.0 -> 10.11.0
I attach the logs from my attempt.. both the latest.. and the prev one.. as you can see .. the prev was from the 10.10.0 start.. and the latest from 10.11.0, but nothing from the "failed start" I describe (or both the cuurent and prev should be 10.11.0).... so dont expect it to help much... but hopefully I am wrong
SO before going into huge detail.. is this a known prob I just cant see on your forums.. or you just dont believe me? or ????

Please shout if you have questions and I will try and help (though I try not to have to get too familiar with the details of this app.. I hope it will "Just work", which it does.. nicely once I get it to
Thanks in advance and best regards

start
UMSFailStart.zip
(15.26 KiB) Downloaded 461 times
)
mik_s

Re: UMS Fails start after update

Post by mik_s »

I don't see anything unusual in the logs but that is expected if the problem is happening during installation as nothing will be logged until UMS is running.

It could be that your AV is stopping it from running until it has done it's scan.
If it does not run after installation you could start it manually from the start menu.

Your logs are very short though, UMS is shut down before being fully initialised so there is no info about your system or configuration. Its best to create logs using the option in the GUI as it will include relevant config files.

It may be better to do a clean install next time if the cause is a configuration issue.
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
Yoji

Post by Yoji »

Hi,

I did wonder about AV, but as I said - my brother had same issue and uses totally different AV solution - so unlikely (unless UMS is doing something a bit suspect?)
My AV shows nothing in its reporting to show issues.
And re your point to start via start menu.. sorry - I was not clear... I said it did not start after installation.. but once it does not start that way... it will not start at all
not from the start menu... or after a reboot and trying start from start menu.. its just dead.
At least once during all these repeats.. I have done a "clean install" from the install/upgrade option... yet it has happened again (cant recall if had issue on the update where I said clean install... or on a subsequent upgrade cycle... but it did certainly not provide a long term fix)

Do you want me to provide logs from a start now? just so you can see the configs/whatever? I suspect it will show all OK now..
the whole problem is when it does not start.. so we cant get any logging?

Anyway - thanks for your reply... please fire away if you have more questions
Cheers
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

If it does not start, there might still be logging stored in "C:\ProgramData\UMS" so please send it from there when the bug has just happened
Yoji

Post by Yoji »

OK..

I could try and do a reinstall of the current to see if I can reproduce..
But TBH.. I will just wait for it to happen at some future update.. and will post then.
The thing that confuses me... is that with it happening to me and my brother... two totally different machines/set ups...
yet we not getting ANYONE saying "me too" :?:
VERY strange

I did wonder if it related to the "Windows issue" that you dont certify the updates.. so we have to go through the PITA crap of saying yes.. I really want to keep the download...
And then say yes.. I really want to install this
But the fact it inconsistent and does not have same issue each time suggests it not as simple as that.
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

Yeah I'm not sure about it either, it might be to do with antivirus or firewall detecting when we update our internal Java versions. So when it happens for you next time we can check which version it was, and see if that was one where we bumped our Java runtime
Yoji

Post by Yoji »

Quick update.. I updated to 10.12.0
No issues.. it started fine after the update this time.
I did close my AV before the install... so dont know if that made a difference.. or it just an instance of the erratic nature of the issue
Will try again next update and keep you posted.
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

Thank you for the update :)