Samsung 6 Series Playback Issues

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
snipie

Samsung 6 Series Playback Issues

Post by snipie »

Hello, I have a Samsung 6 Series 4K TV and for a while now I have been having issues with it not playing certain files properly. I have a few shows and movies that have H264, X264, H265, X265 codec and my TV is capable of playing these formats but there must be something about these specific ones that causes the image to become pixelated and the video to stutter. Pretty much ANY 4K video that was taken from AppleTV source has this issue and now even on 1080P versions this is happening. Even putting these files onto a flash drive to play direct to TV it does this. I have even tried selecting different files in the #TRANSCODE folder with no success. If needed I can get a video of what is happening.
snipie

Re: Samsung 6 Series Playback Issues

Post by snipie »

Here is the file details for 1 of the videos I am trying to watch.
Video
ID : 1
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : High@L4
Format settings : CABAC / 4 Ref Frames
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, Reference frames : 4 frames
Codec ID : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Duration : 55 min 50 s
Bit rate : 9 942 kb/s
Width : 1 920 pixels
Height : 960 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 2.000
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 23.976 (24000/1001) FPS
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.225
Stream size : 3.88 GiB (93%)
Default : Yes
Forced : No
Color range : Limited
Color primaries : BT.709
Transfer characteristics : BT.709
Matrix coefficients : BT.709

Here is a 4K verison

Video
ID : 1
Format : HEVC
Format/Info : High Efficiency Video Coding
Format profile : Main 10@L5@High
Codec ID : V_MPEGH/ISO/HEVC
Duration : 55 min 50 s
Bit rate : 20.7 Mb/s
Width : 3 840 pixels
Height : 1 920 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 2.000
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 23.976 FPS
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 10 bits
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.117
Stream size : 8.07 GiB (96%)
Default : Yes
Forced : No
Color range : Limited
Color primaries : BT.709
Transfer characteristics : BT.709
Matrix coefficients : BT.709
mik_s

Post by mik_s »

Will need logs to be sure (see the section in red above) but my guess is UMS is transcoding one of those videos as it thinks it is not compatible with your TV.

UMS may be using the wrong conf, or it needs to be tweaked slightly to update what is supported.
there are several possible settings to check,

Code: Select all

MaxVideoWidth
MaxVideoHeight
SupportedVideoBitDepths
as well as if H265 is defined as supported.

Do they play if using the No Transcode option from the #--TRANSCODE--# folder?

If the same thing happens when playing direct from a flash drive then it will not have anything to do with UMS and it is likely to be an issue with those videos.
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
snipie

Post by snipie »

Some files if they do not play properly I use the NO TRANSCODE and they work. BUT these specific files play using the no transcode but the image is messed up and pixelated every 10sec or so. I will get the info and post it, I am at work atm. I will also make a short video of the image issue. I have a feeling it is an issue with the specific details of the files and the TV doesnt know what to do. The files play perfectly fine on any PC or via VLC Media Player/Kodi on Nvidia ShieldTV, its is just this TV. Thanks
snipie

Post by snipie »

So I updated UMS yesterday to the most current version to see if it would help things but I think it is making things worse. It is EXTREMELY slow, and the log file keeps saying that there was an error reading folders and they might be busy. The transcode folder is completely empty. I still have an older version of UMS 7.6.2 that works much better than current. Anyways, here is my files for the most recent version. The first file I tried to play I got NETWORK ERROR and the 2nd one played just fine and did not transcode as far as I could tell. I have another file I have to re-download that will create the issue I was first experiencing. I also included a picture of what happens. This was NO TRANSCODE via 7.6.2
Attachments
invasion.jpg
invasion.jpg (62.5 KiB) Viewed 2887 times
ums_dbg_2021-11-08-20-32.zip
(361.12 KiB) Downloaded 121 times
snipie

Post by snipie »

This should be all the supported codecs for my TV
Attachments
TV.png
TV.png (89.68 KiB) Viewed 2887 times
snipie

Post by snipie »

If I try to force transcoding I get Errors or network connection errors. This is what the video does when it doesnt transcode. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hHi_KpDP0w
mik_s

Post by mik_s »

I think this problem could be straying into areas I know little about and others may be of more help.

But I'll try with what I can see is what it could be.

One issue you are having with the latest version is that the database is not being used which is causing a lot of errors in the logs. Sometimes the database can become corrupt or updating from a early version can cause this. The easiest way to fix that is to fully quit UMS then delete C:\ProgramData\UMS\database and on next run it will be recreated when your media is scanned.

Looking at the logs I can see that the correct conf is being used and is up to date and matches the supported formats that you posted.
Out of the local files you have that are shown in the log, all but 1 have been identified as supported so would be streamed.
The 1 that is unsupported is "[HR] Invasion S01E01 [98501AB2].mkv" because it uses the audio codec "Opus" which is not one of the supported formats on the list.

Code: Select all

Video codec "h265" failed to match support line f:mkv             v:h264                                    a:ac3|lpcm|adpcm|aac-lc|he-aac|wma|eac3|mp3|dts          m:video/x-matroska   w:4096   h:2160   b:320000000
Audio codec "opus" failed to match support line f:mkv             v:h265|mjpeg                              a:ac3|lpcm|adpcm|aac-lc|he-aac|wma|eac3|mp3|dts|truehd   m:video/x-matroska   w:4096   h:2160   b:640000000
So UMS normally would try and transcode so it will play, but transcoding 4k takes a lot of processing power and network bandwidth so it will fail for most people.

Some devices can handle unsupported audio codecs differently, some will refuse to play, others may play with no audio and possibly your TV is trying to play but has no idea what to do with the audio data if it can half understand it so is causing it to glitch. I don't know though so is just a guess if it is doing this when playing from a flash drive too.

You could try and find a different version of that video or If you cannot get the video in another format you could use something like HandBrake to manually transcode it.
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
snipie

Post by snipie »

Well that 1 file I did figure the audio was the issue. The only version of that show that works is anything by McGusta. X265 HEVC is used and works natively on the tv but subs are Arabic and forced. Pretty much anything that is taken from AppleTV I have issues with. But even on normal h264 1080p I've been having issues with playback but only AppleTV rips. I broke out my old WD Live to play the ones that won't play on tv and they work fine on that. Not sure what the deal is, I never used to have issues but lately it's been crazy finding good versions