UMS does not show content on one of four Samsung TV's

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
daveg2

UMS does not show content on one of four Samsung TV's

Post by daveg2 »

Hi,

First I'd like to say thank you for UMS. It has been working great for me for several years and I enjoy having access to my media library anywhere in the house. I have four Samsung SmartTVs and and until the past few days it was working on all four with no issue. Now I have one TV that UMS will not display the contents / shared directories.

I have a dedicated windows 10 pc running UMS.
Windows Firewall is disabled.
In my attempt to get UMS working on this TV, I upgraded to 10.14.1 from (I believe 10.12) with no change.

The scenario I use is:
1) on the tv remote change source to the UMS
2) the result on the screen is No Content. On the systems that work it will display the Shared folders.

I've attached the log files as requested and would appreciate any input to the problem. In the log at line# 71025 is the start of the trace where problem occurs (I think) but ...

Also, please let me know if there is any other input I can provide.

Thank you & Regards,
Dave
Attachments
ums_dbg_2022-01-06-17-20.zip
(1.33 MiB) Downloaded 229 times
mik_s

Re: UMS does not show content on one of four Samsung TV's

Post by mik_s »

I think one issue is that there is no conf for that version of Samsung TV yet so it is falling back to an old conf to give some usability. A small tweak if the Samsung-UHD.conf should give better compatibility. I'm not sure there is support for dts any more as that has been removed from some models. If thats the case then all mention of dts in the new conf will need to be deleted.

I would have expected the file list to show anyway even if it was using the wrong conf
I do see the message "Unsupported action received:" when UMS sees your TV and because it does not know what to do it replies with an empty response.

Code: Select all

TRACE 2022-01-06 17:20:26.574 [HTTPv2 Request Worker 4] Matched media renderer "Samsung TU700D 50 TV" based on address 192.168.1.120
DEBUG 2022-01-06 17:20:26.574 [HTTPv2 Request Worker 4] Recognized media renderer "Samsung TU700D 50 TV"
TRACE 2022-01-06 17:20:26.574 [HTTPv2 Request Worker 4] Received a "URN:SCHEMAS-UPNP-ORG:SERVICE:CONTENTDIRECTORY:4#BROWSE"request from Samsung TU700D 50 TV [Samsung E+ Series] (192.168.1.120:46770):

POST /upnp/control/content_directory HTTP/1.1

HEADER:
  HOST: 192.168.1.17:5001
  Accept: */*
  CONTENT-LENGTH: 445
  CONTENT-TYPE: text/xml; charset="utf-8"
  USER-AGENT: DLNADOC/1.50 SEC_HHP_Samsung TU700D 50 TV/1.0 UPnP/1.0
  SOAPACTION: "urn:schemas-upnp-org:service:ContentDirectory:4#Browse"
  Connection: close
Renderer UUID=uuid:944021ff-f44a-4309-af85-d1dacf8da49a
DEBUG 2022-01-06 17:20:26.574 [HTTPv2 Request Worker 4] Unsupported action received: <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?><s:Envelope xmlns:s="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/" s:encodingStyle="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/"><s:Body><u:Browse xmlns:u="urn:schemas-upnp-org:service:ContentDirectory:4"><ObjectID>0</ObjectID><BrowseFlag>BrowseMetadata</BrowseFlag><Filter>*</Filter><StartingIndex>0</StartingIndex><RequestedCount>0</RequestedCount><SortCriteria></SortCriteria></u:Browse></s:Body></s:Envelope>
TRACE 2022-01-06 17:20:26.574 [HTTPv2 Request Worker 4] Empty response sent to Samsung TU700D 50 TV [Samsung E+ Series]:

HEADER:
  HTTP/1.1 204 No Content
  Content-Type: text/xml; charset="utf-8"
  Server: Windows_10-amd64-10.0, UPnP/1.0 DLNADOC/1.50, UMS/10.14.1
  Content-Length: 0
I don't know enough to say if this is a bug or something has not been implemented in UMS to be able to understand this request.
I don't see any other Samsung TVs connected, were they off at the time? Are they older models?
Attachments
Samsung-UHD-mod.conf
(8.7 KiB) Downloaded 287 times
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
daveg2

Post by daveg2 »

Thank you mik_s, I tried the updated conf file, UMS finds it and associates it to the TV (I should have read the FAQ as it describes this quite well!) Unfortunately the same operation occurs. As far as the other tvs in the log they were all off, I thought of this after I posted but didn't want to send the updated log if it was perhaps, something obvious. The tv that is causing issues is the newest and the only 4K the others are within 5 years (if I remember correctly).

I am attaching another log with two of the other three tvs on to see if there is something obvious there but I have not looked at the log yet. The tv that is failing is still the 192.168.1.120 (the Samsung-UHD-mod.conf).

It is interesting, I connect to the server so DLNA is working, if I stop the server the connection is broken and the tv drops the connect source. I just cannot see any content. It seems that something has changed that is restricting access to the shared folders as it was working prior to the UMS update but stopped. I updated UMS to see if it would fix the issue and no luck there. As such, it was not the UMS update that broke this function.

Is there something on the PC that could be restricting this? I must say it seems like a firewall restriction but I would think this would occur on all tvs not just one. The windows firewall is turned off and I have no other firewall protection installed. I've gone through the TV settings for network etc but I don't think these are issues since I can see and connect to UMS just can't display content.

Thanks for the great product and your continued support! Any suggestions would be great.

Dave
Attachments
ums_dbg_2022-01-08-11-31.zip
(805.93 KiB) Downloaded 235 times
mik_s

Post by mik_s »

I don't think it has anything to do with your firewall settings. When UMS is installed it sets up the correct rules to run. If something was blocked it would effect all devices, they may appear in UMS but UMS will not appear on the device.

There must be something wrong with the browse request sent by your TU700D that UMS is not understanding. I know very little about this communication, but I don't see anything that sticks out. I compared the initial Received a browse request from each of your Samsung TVs and what my PS4 uses (minus the headers).

Received a browse request from [TV]Samsung LED50 [Samsung H6203] (192.168.1.193:60558):

<s:Envelope xmlns:s="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/" s:encodingStyle="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/">
	<s:Body>
		<u:Browse xmlns:u="urn:schemas-upnp-org:service:ContentDirectory:1">
			<ObjectID>0</ObjectID>
			<BrowseFlag>BrowseDirectChildren</BrowseFlag>
			<Filter>*</Filter>
			<StartingIndex>0</StartingIndex>
			<RequestedCount>1</RequestedCount>
			<SortCriteria/>
		</u:Browse>
	</s:Body>
</s:Envelope>

Received a browse request from [TV] Samsung 7 Series (50) [Samsung LED UHD] (192.168.1.78:37699):

<s:Envelope xmlns:s="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/" s:encodingStyle="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/">
			<ObjectID>0</ObjectID>
			<BrowseFlag>BrowseMetadata</BrowseFlag>
			<Filter>*</Filter>
			<RequestedCount>0</RequestedCount>
			<SortCriteria/>
This is what my PS4 sends

Received a browse request from PlayStation 4 mod (192.168.1.67:54871):

<ObjectID>0</ObjectID>
			<BrowseFlag>BrowseDirectChildren</BrowseFlag>
			<Filter>dc:creator,dc:date,dc:title,upnp:album,upnp:albumArtURI,upnp:artist,upnp:genre,res,res@size,res@duration</Filter>
			<RequestedCount>30</RequestedCount>
			<SortCriteria/>
This is what appears in the error after I formatted it to make it easier to read

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
		<u:Browse xmlns:u="urn:schemas-upnp-org:service:ContentDirectory:4">
			<ObjectID>0</ObjectID>
			<BrowseFlag>BrowseMetadata</BrowseFlag>
			<Filter>*</Filter>
			<RequestedCount>0</RequestedCount>
			<SortCriteria></SortCriteria>
My initial guess was that UMS might not respond to BrowseMetadata as the PS4 asks for BrowseDirectChildren instead, but looking at the requests from your other TVs, both are being used. Everything else looks the same to me except the <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?> part, I don't know if there should be ?s there and that could be why. Or they could be filtered out of the other requests once they are parsed.

As I was typing this I noticed that sort criteria is slightly different, the TU700 has opening and closing tags (<SortCriteria></SortCriteria>) while the other devices have the 1 tag with a / at the end (<SortCriteria/>).

If it was working before you could try going back a few versions and see which one it was last working so the devs can track down where a bug has snuck in.
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
daveg2

Post by daveg2 »

Hi mik_s,

I went back to 9.7.2 and had the same experience. I then went to several other releases (newer than 9.7.2 and worked my way up to 10.12.0 all with the same result. After pulling my hair out, I decided to unplug the TV from power and plug it back in and everything is working as it should.

I didn't think of this earlier, I wish I had it would have saved you and me a lot of time. Not sure what happened on the TV or why and I doubt I ever will but it is good to verify it is not a UMS issue.

Thank you for the support and I learned quite a bit regarding the logs. I greatly appreciate your assistance.

Dave
mik_s

Post by mik_s »

That is very strange but is good that it was a simple fix :lol:

I would like to see how it is supposed to work if you don't mind posting some more logs, just in case something else was happening.

There is a new version about to be released (available to patreons atm) that fixed similar problems on newer TVs, it could have been caused by the same issue. If it happens again try this new one when it come out.
daveg2

Post by daveg2 »

Here is a working set of log files. When it worked, I went back to 10.14.1 and used the custom .conf file you provided for the TV.

I will keep the new release in mind if / when the problem shows up again.

Thanks again,
Dave
Attachments
ums_dbg_2022-01-09-19-25.zip
(3.4 MiB) Downloaded 250 times