Probably stupid question

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
Ybotc

Probably stupid question

Post by Ybotc »

Hello all

I have installed UMS (windows version) , I am looking for a prog which will act as a dlna controller between my dlna server (readynas) and my dlna renderer (sony blueray)

I can play files from my sony blueray via UMS , but is there a way of selecting the file on the PC and sending it to the blueray , sorry if this is a really simple question but couldn't see a way of dong this (eg through a web interface) and I'm more of a mac person.

As background my ultimate aim is to create a web interface for my movie library , which will allow you to click on a file and have it play on the blueray. The reason i am looking at UMS is most other dlna controllers wont recognise my blueray as a dlna renderer.

Cheers
Toby
DeFlanko

Re: Probably stupid question

Post by DeFlanko »

On you blu-ray player do you have the ability to see media servers? (you said sony.. so does it have the XMB menu?)

if so then when running UMS on your PC it should populate there... thats the point of UMS.
Ybotc

Post by Ybotc »

Hi

Thanks for the reply, yep as per original message I can see UMS as a server and stream media from it to the blueray player.

My question was can UMS act as a dlna controller and send media directl to the blueray e.g start a movie on the PC and direct it to play on the blueray

Cheers
Toby
DeFlanko

Post by DeFlanko »

ohh!

No i don't think that functionality is there to do that. You can submit a Issue ticket over at GitHub and see what the Dev's say =)
jorgehav

Post by jorgehav »

Very interesting request, a DLNA controller to send content from UMS to a render.

I goooooogled past months a nothing about it.

Developers can concern about ?

Regards,

Jorge
alireza

Post by alireza »

you can do this from Windows media player by "Play To" option and select the device.
but not for all file types nor removable media sources.
Wolfgan

Post by Wolfgan »

Play To works with UMS as server has little say on it (the controller instructs the renderer to pick the file from the server). I used it several times...
-- UMS serving PS3, WDTV, Samsung H6400 + J5500 and Kalemsoft renderers! (no video transcoding but remuxing accepted :D )