10.15.0 audio problem on VLC for Android.

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
FranSiseuko

10.15.0 audio problem on VLC for Android.

Post by FranSiseuko »

Hi, today i reinstalled UMS (becasuse Windows problems), i usually use 9.8.1 or 9.8.3 of UMS, i changed between this 2 because 8.1 doesn't transcode to PS4 and directly pass the file and 8.3 transcoded the video and audio but it worked on an old tv, so i used those.
But, today i made the jump to 10.15.0 version and in VLC for android i don't have audio, i've tried some MKV and AVI files and doesn't work, i made some changes to transcode the audio and i was getting the same problem, in VLC showed me that there was audio but it was "0 channels", in UMS i changed to transcode or maintain AC3 or DTS but i got the same.

Now that i restarted the UMS in trace mode i detected some little jumps on the video, like it was transcoding, but VLC can play those files without a need of transcode.
VLC appeared like "VLC for Desktop" in the logs, so, in case that reading the log appears like that, well, it appears like Desktop.

When i used 9.8.X version while watching an MKV file or AVI or Flacs i got up to 200 MB of memory used, right now i got more than 600 MB or even more with the same files.

The VLC version is 3.4.3 (the latest), in an Xperia XA, Xperia X5 and in a Xiaomi Note 10 Pro.
Attachments
ums_dbg_2022-01-18-22-49.zip
(1.5 MiB) Downloaded 198 times
mik_s

Re: 10.15.0 audio problem on VLC for Android.

Post by mik_s »

I see a few things that could cause issues for you.
The main one for playing videos is that your network speed is too low (2mb/s) and UMS is trying to transcode at a low quality so you can at least watch it

Code: Select all

net.pms.network.SpeedStats Renderer VLC for desktop has an estimated network speed of 2.449161102442822 Mb/s
net.pms.configuration.RendererConfiguration Using video bitrate limit from VLC for desktop configuration (2 Mb/s) because it is lower than the general configuration bitrate limit (90 Mb/s)
net.pms.dlna.DLNAResource File "AP349PA.mkv" will not be streamed because the bitrate (4075499 b/s) is too high (2000000 b/s).
There seems to be missing any definition for .MP3 files so all of them will be transcoded to .WAV I have not used VLC but it should be a given that it supports mp3.
Some files have a high resolution too and since none is defined in the conf, anything higher than 1080p will be transcoded.

I have made a modified conf including parts from the VLC for Iphone conf which should work better for those files.

Also try playing from the #--TRANSCODE--# folder and choose "No transcoding" (if you do not see it, enable "show the #--Transcode--# folder" in the GUI on the navigation tab)
to see if any files there are being transcoded can be streamed instead.
Attachments
VLC-for-desktop-mod.conf
(2.04 KiB) Downloaded 231 times
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

VLC supports pretty much everything, it supports everything FFmpeg supports (it uses the same libs internally) and then some. I doubt (only guessing though) that VLC supports sending subtitles separately, so everything with external subtitles must probably be transcoded. Except for that, it's hard to think of anything that must.
FranSiseuko

Post by FranSiseuko »

mik_s wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:57 am I see a few things that could cause issues for you.
The main one for playing videos is that your network speed is too low (2mb/s) and UMS is trying to transcode at a low quality so you can at least watch it

Code: Select all

net.pms.network.SpeedStats Renderer VLC for desktop has an estimated network speed of 2.449161102442822 Mb/s
net.pms.configuration.RendererConfiguration Using video bitrate limit from VLC for desktop configuration (2 Mb/s) because it is lower than the general configuration bitrate limit (90 Mb/s)
net.pms.dlna.DLNAResource File "AP349PA.mkv" will not be streamed because the bitrate (4075499 b/s) is too high (2000000 b/s).
There seems to be missing any definition for .MP3 files so all of them will be transcoded to .WAV I have not used VLC but it should be a given that it supports mp3.
Some files have a high resolution too and since none is defined in the conf, anything higher than 1080p will be transcoded.

I have made a modified conf including parts from the VLC for Iphone conf which should work better for those files.

Also try playing from the #--TRANSCODE--# folder and choose "No transcoding" (if you do not see it, enable "show the #--Transcode--# folder" in the GUI on the navigation tab)
to see if any files there are being transcoded can be streamed instead.
Thank You!, i will try this in a couple of hours if i have a break, maybe i will remote desktop to my pc so i can test it quickly.
I didn't knew about the estimated network speed, for example, i use the "hotspot" feature in a laptop and i didn't had any problems with it (2.4GHZ or 5GHZ), then i tried in a wired connection and it happened, so maybe it could the the transcode thing, i will try to trace with the 9.8.3 which i used to use so maybe i can detect some changes too.

Some of those MKV are 4K, others 1080P (a lot of them with embedded subs), in the case of MP3 it was another thing that i was seeing, but the flacs where fine.

I just have a question, if i want to stream the file i need to enable the Transcode folder and play it from that folder? or that's decided by bandwith or by renderer?.
From what i've been seeing, if i play something outside from the Transcode UMS/Renderer decides automatically?.

It's a documentation available for the renderers? i will love to know the sintaxis so i can make some tests. (and maybe in the process help with a renderer, i have a Sony tv that detects UMS but it doesn´t play anything but MPEG2 videos using a Vizio renderer and lowering the resolution)

Thank you so much for the conf, immediately after the test i will reply if this fix the problem, or if it was the bandwith.
Nadahar wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:31 am VLC supports pretty much everything, it supports everything FFmpeg supports (it uses the same libs internally) and then some. I doubt (only guessing though) that VLC supports sending subtitles separately, so everything with external subtitles must probably be transcoded. Except for that, it's hard to think of anything that must.
I didn't thought on that but i tried with files that had sparate subs and those who don't, this first files didn't had separated subs, they where embbeded, and i didn't saw at first but they didn't appear too. The other thing was, the MKV some of them had 2 audio options and it´s showing 1 option but "0 channels" 0 in bitrate and so.
At that point i wasn't using Transcode manually and i didn't selected the option to deactivate the subs while transcoding.
Maybe it was the bandwith.
Thank You for the reply.
mik_s

Post by mik_s »

FranSiseuko wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:13 am I just have a question, if i want to stream the file i need to enable the Transcode folder and play it from that folder? or that's decided by bandwith or by renderer?.
From what i've been seeing, if i play something outside from the Transcode UMS/Renderer decides automatically?.
Playing anything leaves UMS to decide on how to serve it depending on the devices .conf file, using the #--Transcode--# forces UMS to transcode a certain way or not to transcode at all and stream that file. This is a good way of testing if your device can actually play that file natively and helps when updating the conf.

As your network speed to that device was too slow to play those files, its only option was to try and transcode at a lower bitrate. In this case playing with "no transcoding" might have failed too. Try and see if you can improve your network speed by using a wired connection (at least to your access point).
FranSiseuko wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:13 am I didn't thought on that but i tried with files that had sparate subs and those who don't, this first files didn't had separated subs, they where embbeded, and i didn't saw at first but they didn't appear too. The other thing was, the MKV some of them had 2 audio options and it´s showing 1 option but "0 channels" 0 in bitrate and so.
I think that because most things were transcoding you would lose all other audio tracks/subs unless you specifically chose that option from the transcode folder.
FranSiseuko wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:13 am It's a documentation available for the renderers? i will love to know the sintaxis so i can make some tests.
There is various info on creating a conf for devices on the wiki and on this forum. Also have a look at the DefaultRenderer.conf which explains what all the options mean.
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
FranSiseuko

Post by FranSiseuko »

Hi, i've been testing the conf and other things (bandwith, etc), and it seems that it was the bandwith, for some reason it never go more than 5Mbps, in a wired connection goes up to 11.X Mbps, unless i put 0 on the bandwith section. i tested in the No Transcode section and in the other folders and it worked fine after i wrote 0.

I use the CONF and i still had some Mp3's being unrecognized, "could not be parsed. It will be hidden", i tested the files to see if are corrupted, broken, etc, and they were fine, but it maybe a file problem rather than a conf problem, i put other mp3's and didn't had a problem.

It detects the subs (embedded), the multiple audio, 99% of the mp'3 works, i think my problem is fixed fixed, it even fixed the "Unseakable file" message from VLC.

Thanks to mik_s for the support.
mik_s

Post by mik_s »

FranSiseuko wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:59 pm I use the CONF and i still had some Mp3's being unrecognized, "could not be parsed. It will be hidden"
I noticed that too for one of your mp3's but it is likely a problem with that file. Maybe one of the tags is corrupt or has data that UMS does not recognise, but still allows it to be played on other players.
FranSiseuko

Post by FranSiseuko »

Yep, that file works in different devices, but sometimes it cuts at the end, maybe there it is where the problem is, i will try making a copy, usually that can fix the problem or well, at least it ends the copy where the problem is and then that file is fine, i will try that before making another backup of that CD. In Mp3Tag appears all in place, but i completely assume that is the file.

But right now im tracing why UMS doesn't show up in an Xbox 360 :D it appears in the "Status" frame/window, well, at least appears in gray, but it doesn't show up in the Xbox 360, and i think that's going to be more work from my side :D :D firewall or Windows settings.