The last update of UMS today doesn't work

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
PunkMaister

The last update of UMS today doesn't work

Post by PunkMaister »

The last current update must have some sort of bug as it completely stopped working once the update was done. It's not even able to run at all.
mik_s

Re: The last update of UMS today doesn't work

Post by mik_s »

What version was the update? What is your system?
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
PunkMaister

Post by PunkMaister »

mik_s wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:29 am What version was the update? What is your system?
The latest version I would expect I began using this DLNA server only a few months ago at best and it has updated itself 2 times. The previous update had some issues with the media library as it could no longer read files that way and could only access folders separately. But after the one today it stopped working.
I also tried reinstall by downloading the current version on the official website as well but to no avail. There's no question there is an issue with the latest official version.

As for my system is a 2013 Windows 7 Toshiba laptop.
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

Please follow the instructions for bug reporting at viewtopic.php?f=9&t=556
mik_s

Post by mik_s »

Yes without log files there is no way to figure out what is going on, there should be some even if it does not fully start.

A full uninstall and a clean reinstall should fix most problems with it not running.
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
PunkMaister

Post by PunkMaister »

mik_s wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:37 pm Yes without log files there is no way to figure out what is going on, there should be some even if it does not fully start.

A full uninstall and a clean reinstall should fix most problems with it not running.
How can I even start any log files if the program just completely fails to start to begin with. In the link you need the program to be operational in order to go into the logs tab and start the trace logs option. This sounds as unpractical as the Keyboard Error press any key error after a fatal keyboard error happens no offense.
mik_s

Post by mik_s »

If your bug is stopping UMS from even starting, or it is otherwise preventing the creation of the log package following the steps above, you can still find the logs manually on your filesystem:

- Windows: C:/ProgramData/UMS/debug.log
- macOS: /Users/YOURUSERNAME/Library/Application Support/UMS/debug.log
- Linux: debug.log wherever your UMS is
PunkMaister

Post by PunkMaister »

mik_s wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:37 pm
I tried fully uninstalling and erasing UMS followed by a forced clean install and just as I suspected it didn't work.

It could be that this latest update is incompatible with Windows 7.
mik_s

Post by mik_s »

It is possible something has broken for win 7 but it should still work. I know someone had issues on win XP a while ago and that was not officially supported any more but was relatively easy for the devs to fix it.

Did you look for log files?