UMS is very picky with filenames

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
NorbertK

UMS is very picky with filenames

Post by NorbertK »

Hello all,

I downloaded some videos and got errors like these:

Code: Select all

java.nio.file.InvalidPathException: Malformed input or input contains unmappable characters: /mnt/video/Filme/Allgemein/La Strada - Das Lied der Stra��e-0393509000.mp4
These ugly characters above are a german 'ß' [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%9F]].

I don't know much about Java , so I don't know how easy ist would be to make the reading routine more robust, but it would be highly desirable .
Thanks and best regards

Norbert
---------
UMS 10.19.0 runs headless in debian bullseye unter proxmox
mik_s

Re: UMS is very picky with filenames

Post by mik_s »

It should accept that as a valid character unless there is a bug somewhere. I renamed one of my files to have that character in and it worked for me but I will be using a different version. Maybe the character encoding in your text viewer or system is not set to UTF-8.

Could you post trace logs? see the section in red above.
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
NorbertK

Re: UMS is very picky with filenames

Post by NorbertK »

Unfortunately I don't have the old logs , but the line I showed above was in the log.
If I see the files on the linux prompt I have no Problems. Jellyfin handles them fine too, so I don't think it is a system problem.

I would not mind if such a file would be just ignored but unfortunately the whole folder in which the file is located is shown as empty for all clients. So the software seems to escalate this problem, which is not the best solution IMO.

Thanks for considering !
Thanks and best regards

Norbert
---------
UMS 10.19.0 runs headless in debian bullseye unter proxmox