Anyone else notice .png & .ico don't show correctly

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
MTOakey

Anyone else notice .png & .ico don't show correctly

Post by MTOakey »

I offer this only in the effort to make UMS the absolute Best it can be for everyone.
My concern is only Audio/Video/Movie folders... not files.
On my computer {everything looks and works as I expect} I have created folders to store al my A/V/M files. In each respective folder I have placed a specific .jpg or .png AND .ico that is the ICON picture I want to see before I double click on the folder to see what is inside.
So, I have a TopLevel folder that contains all my numerous STYLES of music folders. All of those INSIDE the TopLevel show correctly the specific/created folder icon. BUT, the TopLevel will not... it sees and displays a blurred-out version of it, when I click on it, it opens another tab and shows the 32x32 icon correctly - but on a 1920 x 1080 display, that's about 1/4 of what a browser tab icon looks like. All these "icon" files are saved in a manner where they contain up to 256x256 @32bit capability.
What I also see in the TopLevel folder, on UMS, is an internally sourced "placeholder" daisy pic, with the name of my icon file(s). When I click on those, they show correctly.
Only when viewed through UMS is this an "issue".
I have included captures to visualize.

At LESS than 81Kb each - this Forum only let me upload 3 ...

Screenshot 2022-06-01 185220.png
Screenshot 2022-06-01 185220.png (13.82 KiB) Viewed 1716 times
Screenshot 2022-06-01 182545.png
Screenshot 2022-06-01 182545.png (76 KiB) Viewed 1716 times
Screenshot 2022-06-01 185346.png
Screenshot 2022-06-01 185346.png (80.32 KiB) Viewed 1716 times
MTOakey

Re: Anyone else notice .png & .ico don't show correctly

Post by MTOakey »

Here are the other two screenshots I wanted to include in the above discussion ...

Screenshot 2022-06-01 182747.png
Screenshot 2022-06-01 182747.png (3.91 KiB) Viewed 1715 times
Screenshot 2022-06-01 185108.png
Screenshot 2022-06-01 185108.png (390.09 KiB) Viewed 1715 times
mik_s

Post by mik_s »

I'm not exactly sure what your problem is as it seems to be working correctly, but I have not used icon .ico files for folders myself.

From what I think you are saying about the icon that is blurry I think it has just been scaled up in that thumbnail to a standard size. If the original size is 32x32 then that would look very blocky, and one way to make this look better is to blur the transition between each pixel. I think that is standard of the function that is used to scale pictures.
When selecting the file itself it will be displayed as it actually is, since it is only 32x32 it will look tiny on a big display.

If the size of .ico files is capable of up to 256x256 then you should use that size instead. It will still be scaled up in the thumbnail but there will be more detail.

I'm not sure if all folders can have custom images, it may be just for music but not sure. I'm sure they have be be called the same name as the folder they are used for or maybe just a specific name to tell UMS that is the picture to use, and I don't know if that has to be inside the folder or in the same folder as that folder itself.
Your operating system might just be picking the first image in that folder to use as its icon so that is why it looks fine on there but UMS will be doing something differently.

Sorry I don't know much more than that but hopefully one of the devs might be able to make this more clear.
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
MTOakey

Post by MTOakey »

When You say you don't see a problem, you mean you don't understand the problem.
ALL my ".ico" files have embedded sizes up to 512x512 res. So, when it only shows at 32x32, THAT's a problem.
The other side of this same coin is that UMS doesn't show the picture of the .ico - only an internal and infernal flower placeholder with the caption of "folder.ico".
UMS also does NOT show - ON PURPOSE - any .png or .jpg in the "Media container" I don't know WHY anyone would purposely BLOCK the display of these, yet it does... but, it does show properly the embedded thumbnail of any title selected.
ANY and ALL - including System Folders - can have custom icons... that's normal since about 15 - 20 years ago.
UMS is certainly doing something differently.
This is only software - it does what we tell it to, it doesn't just do whatever it wants or feels like doing.
I have included some pics to more overtly make the point.

This shows the "placeholder" for the "folder.ico" BUT NOT the actual picture, this is an internal UMS file, and the code that goes with it ONLY shows when there is an ".ico" file present, not with any other picture types. Notice also the internally provided "Blue folder" icons to the left... UMS does that,

This shows the ACTUAL "folder.ico" file picture in the directory that UMS is parsing/reading from. Shows fine.

Image This shows the ACTUAL "folder.png" that does NOT render or show up in UMS at all.

Image This proves that it's NOT the browser that's blocking viewing the "folder.ico" file.

But when you select a Title, UMS shows the correct thumbnail for the Title in the "Media container" - it SHOULD show the correct thumbnails in front of all the Titles everywhere instead of those generic "Blue folders".

Using the most up to date UMS version, on a Windows 11 machine, with the most up to date Chrome Browser. ONLY UMS is problematic with these issues, I don't have these issues with "Abyss Server" nor "Subsonic" server.

ANY help or correction from the Developers would be greatly appreciated.

“A truth’s initial commotion
is directly proportional to how deeply the lie of it was believed ...” ~Dresden James
“The surest barrier to truth is the conviction you already have it.”