10.21 Subtitles not displaying in Samsung TVs but working in VLC

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
aenoti

10.21 Subtitles not displaying in Samsung TVs but working in VLC

Post by aenoti »

Newbie I'm afraid :) Just set up UMS as a replacement for Serviio on Ubuntu 20.04.
Playing a file with embedded English subtitles on two different Samsung TVs (one of them uses the Samsung-UHD-2019.conf and the other the other the Samsung-UHD.conf) and despite the subtitles showing as available on the TV menu they do not show on screen. Playing the same file on VLC on the iPad over DLNA again and they display correctly.
The conf files have :

UseClosedCaption = true
SupportedExternalSubtitlesFormats = SAMI,SUBRIP,MICRODVD,ASS,TEXT,TX3G
SupportedInternalSubtitlesFormats = DIVX,ASS,SUBRIP,VOBSUB,TX3G

Looking the debug logs I notice that :
net.pms.dlna.DLNAResource Searching for a match for audio language "eng" with audio "eng" and subtitles "off" for XXX

which suggests to me that I need to force

audio_subtitles_languages = *,* (or *,eng)

in the UMS.conf file.

When adding the line in the UMS.conf file though the file stops playing the the debug log keeps throwing a "Frame Skipped" message.
Removing the line restores playback but w/o subtitles.

I did not post full log files for clarity and brevity as they have a LOT of stuff in them - I just searched for relevant bits

Help(??)

/A
mik_s

Re: 10.21 Subtitles not displaying in Samsung TVs but working in VLC

Post by mik_s »

The logs will be more help otherwise I would just be guessing.

I would need to know if the video was streaming or transcoding.

setting audio_subtitles_languages is for when the video is transcoded and needs the subtitles to be burned in, and is used to determine which one to use as default although each sub is selectable in the #--TRANSCODE--# folder.

If the video is being streamed then it is down to your device to handle subtitles, but that also depends on if the subs format is compatible.
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.