Confused about the identity of a renderer on my LAN

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
freemansteve

Confused about the identity of a renderer on my LAN

Post by freemansteve »

Hi,
I'm fairly new to UMS, and it works extremely well for me. I have a question about "detected media renderers" on my LAN - see attached picture.

I have a LAN running several PCs, 3 TVs, phones, iPads etc, plus a NAS/RAID unit and a Cambridge Audio Evo 75 all-in-one streaming amp (highly recommended!). The NAS/RAID contains much of my audio and video data and also has a DLNA server built in. It is an old Buffalo LS441D unit which runs a version of Twonky I believe. It all works very well.

I use UMS on a PC to serve odd bits and pieces not on the RAID/NAS/DLNA unit - audio for the Evo 75 and video clips for the TVs.

The first renderer is the Evo 75 unit, the right-most is a TV that happened to be powered on - both of these are exactly what I expected to find, correct addresses and icons. I bind all the addresses of all fixed devices on my LAN in my router within its DHCP server, but that's not important.

The middle icon shows an iPad/iPhone on 192.168.5.108. This is puzzling as it my RAID/NAS/DLNA unit. Without a config file for that unit, I assumed UMS may have shown the device as unknown somehow, and I'm confused by how the software on the RAID would be ID'd as a renderer - sure, another DLNA server, but I'm a loss to see how the RAID unit can be a renderer.

Any explanations as to why the RAID appears not only as a renderer, but also as an Apple device, would be appreciated!

I know it's a bit OCD, but either the right icon or not having one at all for the RAID/NAS/DLNA unit would make me happy - how to I do this?
ums.JPG
ums.JPG (93.19 KiB) Viewed 1687 times
Attachments
ums.JPG
ums.JPG (93.19 KiB) Viewed 1687 times
mik_s

Re: Confused about the identity of a renderer on my LAN

Post by mik_s »

Can't be sure without seeing logs but it might be using a similar identifier to an apple device so thats what UMS thinks it is.

Also the software on Apple devices can use different headers so there are a lot of things listed in the apple-iDevice.conf that could match what your NAS is sending.

As you say it is using a version of Twonky I think that may be why as it is one of the things listed in the conf

Code: Select all

UserAgentSearch = AppleCoreMedia|nPlayer|Twonky|8player|yxplayer2|MPlayer |NSPlayer/4|AirAV|AcePlayer|Skifta|AirVideoFree
If you create a new conf for your NAS you can limit the matching criteria and give it a higher priority by setting

LoadingPriority = 2
so that will be used instead of the apple one
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
freemansteve

Post by freemansteve »

Thanks for the rapid response!
I have included the "trace" file as an attachment in case this helps pinpoint why my RAID unit looks like an iPad renderer !

You said "As you say it is using a version of Twonky I think that may be why as it is one of the things listed in the conf .......... If you create a new conf for your NAS you can limit the matching criteria and give it a higher priority by setting "

Can you point me in the direction of how to create a new config to suit my RAID unit?

Thanks
ums_dbg_2022-06-07-15-26.zip
(374.57 KiB) Downloaded 81 times
mik_s

Post by mik_s »

What you could do is copy another conf from the renderers directory usually in C:\Program Files (x86)\Universal Media Server\renderers (the apple one will do) and change UserAgentSearch to what is sent by your NAS

Mozilla/4.0 (Compatible, Aggregation, Twonky, 7.1.1-dsd ) DLNADOC/1.50
and also add

LoadingPriority = 2
under that so it will be used first.

you can then change the name and icon using the options RendererName and RendererIcon, the Icons you can chose are listed here but I'm not sure if any is suitable for a NAS

Another option you can do if you don't want your NAS to show up is to block its access to UMS since it cannot play anything anyway.
I can't remember if there is a block list for certain IPs but there is a whitelist that will block every IP except what you configure. Might be a bit of a hassle if you have loads of renderers or they change IPs, or want to add new ones but might be easier to set up in the GUI

In the General settings tab there is the option "Use an IP filter (whitelist)" where you can list each IP for your renderers. as far as I can tell for those 2 renderers it will be

There is more information about setting up IP filters in the security section in the Knowledge base from the support dropdown at the top of the website.
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
freemansteve

Post by freemansteve »

Thanks!
I'll have a play!