Some folders randomly give "access error" on my Yamaha RX-A730

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
mik_s

Re: Some folders randomly give "access error" on my Yamaha RX-A730

Post by mik_s »

I think it may be that wav file that is not playing is not supported by your receiver, It may be using lossless or another wav codec.
As that conf is saying to just send all your audio files without transcoding it cannot be played as is.

It would be possible to set up the conf perfectly to only transcode what cannot be played but will take a lot of time and experimentation on your part to get it right. It might be easier to convert the few files that cannot play manually yourself.

If you want the conf to be set up right then see if you can find the specs of what formats it can play, and I will need to see logs of you attempting to play those problem files.
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
boss

Post by boss »

I have a Yamaha RX 685.
I have not played around with it that much with UMS but I did a bit of work on the conf file.
Maybe it is worth trying.
Cheers

#----------------------------------------------------------------------------
# Profile for Yamaha RX-V685.
# See DefaultRenderer.conf for descriptions of all the available options.
#

RendererName = Yamaha RX-V685
RendererIcon = yamaharxv671.png
UserAgentSearch = RX-V685
UpnpDetailsSearch = Yamaha , RX-V685

Image = false
Video = false
TranscodeFastStart = true
MediaInfo = true

# Supported audio formats:
Supported = f:aac m:audio/x-m4a
Supported = f:aiff m:audio/L16
Supported = f:m4a m:audio/mp4 a:(?!alac).+
Supported = f:dff m:audio/x-dff
Supported = f:dsf m:audio/x-dsf
Supported = f:flac m:audio/flac
Supported = f:mp3 m:audio/mpeg
Supported = f:wav m:audio/L16 a:atmos|ac3|dts|dtshd|eac3|lpcm|truehd
Supported = f:wma m:audio/x-ms-wma
8bit_coder

Post by 8bit_coder »

mik_s wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 2:21 pm I think it may be that wav file that is not playing is not supported by your receiver, It may be using lossless or another wav codec.
As that conf is saying to just send all your audio files without transcoding it cannot be played as is.

It would be possible to set up the conf perfectly to only transcode what cannot be played but will take a lot of time and experimentation on your part to get it right. It might be easier to convert the few files that cannot play manually yourself.

If you want the conf to be set up right then see if you can find the specs of what formats it can play, and I will need to see logs of you attempting to play those problem files.
Well actually, I've tried playing them back directly on the receiver from a USB drive and the receiver plays them fine. it's still a UMS-specific issue. Also, it appears that the mimetype being L16 weirdly causes the files not to work, whereas WAV seems to fix it. This is getting stranger and stranger.
8bit_coder

Post by 8bit_coder »

boss wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 2:48 pm I have a Yamaha RX 685.
I have not played around with it that much with UMS but I did a bit of work on the conf file.
Maybe it is worth trying.
Cheers

#----------------------------------------------------------------------------
# Profile for Yamaha RX-V685.
# See DefaultRenderer.conf for descriptions of all the available options.
#

RendererName = Yamaha RX-V685
RendererIcon = yamaharxv671.png
UserAgentSearch = RX-V685
UpnpDetailsSearch = Yamaha , RX-V685

Image = false
Video = false
TranscodeFastStart = true
MediaInfo = true

# Supported audio formats:
Supported = f:aac m:audio/x-m4a
Supported = f:aiff m:audio/L16
Supported = f:m4a m:audio/mp4 a:(?!alac).+
Supported = f:dff m:audio/x-dff
Supported = f:dsf m:audio/x-dsf
Supported = f:flac m:audio/flac
Supported = f:mp3 m:audio/mpeg
Supported = f:wav m:audio/L16 a:atmos|ac3|dts|dtshd|eac3|lpcm|truehd
Supported = f:wma m:audio/x-ms-wma
I tried these settings already and they basically did nothing. Unfortunately, these settings also caused similar issues to what I initially posted about. I'm starting to think this might be generation-specific, as any receiver from generation RX-AXX00 to RX-AXX40 seem to all use a similar system for handling server-streamed content.
mik_s

Post by mik_s »

8bit_coder wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:26 pm Well actually, I've tried playing them back directly on the receiver from a USB drive and the receiver plays them fine. it's still a UMS-specific issue. Also, it appears that the mimetype being L16 weirdly causes the files not to work, whereas WAV seems to fix it. This is getting stranger and stranger.
It might be a limitation of the renderer too. I know for some TV's (like my Samsung series F) they disable some features when playing over the network that work fine with USB.
Or maybe the bitrate is too high for the network port on the receiver, it is fairly common for companies to get the cheapest LAN port available which could be limited to 100mb/s

It is possible it could be that UMS is sending the wrong mimetype but I know very little about them. Only way to find out would be to see logs trying to play those files and posting the mediainfo of them too to see if they have anything in common.
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
8bit_coder

Post by 8bit_coder »

Most likely it's UMS sending the wrong filetype. Also, I've ruled out it being different from network and USB because when I used to use Windows Media Player as my streamer, all the files played fine without issues. I just wanted less lag on playback and also more flexibility on how the server's folder structure appeared. Also, WMP was pretty laggy in comparison to UMS and it used up a lot more system resources than I'd liked.

On the topic of network jacks, I tested the receiver with a WAV file encoded at 384 KHz sampling rate at a bit depth of 32 bits. This made a 4:54 song balloon up to a filesize of over 880 megabytes, translating to roughly 24.5 megabits per second of bandwidth. Even at this insanely large file size, the receiver played it back no problem. This eliminates network bandwidth being a limitation for some of the WAV files.

At this point, the logs are really inconsistent. I can't figure out why it keeps messing up regular old .WAV files. I've found that it can play one 44.1 KHz 16bit file fine, and yet another one just fails to work. It's strange and very random. I've confirmed that the files themselves aren't corrupted or that the receiver doesn't support them by using the Windows 10 "Cast to Device" feature and picking Yamaha RX-A730 as the destination. It plays the file that UMS has issues with perfectly fine.
8bit_coder

Post by 8bit_coder »

Sooo I upgraded to an RX-A2010 and this is STILL an issue on the latest UMS version. How is this possible? WAV files work perfectly fine when casted to the receiver from the windows Cast To menu yet when they're through UMS, they fail to work!
mik_s

Post by mik_s »

Its been a while so will have to re-read this thread to catch up. It would help if you could post new logs with your new receiver as it may be different and I'll see if anything has changed on UMS's side.