VLC streaming same mkv file, but two different sets of audio and subtitles?

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
Baelzar

VLC streaming same mkv file, but two different sets of audio and subtitles?

Post by Baelzar »

The image shows two different VLC installations. The top image is installed on my Amazon Fire TV Cube. The bottom is on an Android smart TV.

It's the same .mkv file streamed from the same media server, that has both audio tracks and subtitles. Yet the Android TV install doesn't offer the Japanese audio, nor the built-in subtitles. Not two copies of the mkv file, the very same file.

On the Fire TV Cube it worked correctly with no settings. On the Android TV, I've tried uninstalling, deleting any file I could with VLC involved, restarting, re-installing...same issue.

The weird thing is...it worked correctly at one time. Please help.

VLC for Android 3.5.1 on the TV
VLC for Fire 3.4.3 on the Fire Cube
Universal Media Server 11.4.1 on a Windows 10 desktop.
mik_s

Re: VLC streaming same mkv file, but two different sets of audio and subtitles?

Post by mik_s »

The 2 devices might have different supported formats and the Android TV might not be able to play that file natively, so UMS is transcoding it to a format that can be played.

When transcoding there can be only 1 audio track and subtitles have to be burned into the video.
The default ones used depends an your language priority in the transcoding settings.
For other combinations of audio/subs you have to play from the #--TRANSCODE--# folder where each option is listed.

It may be possible that it can be played without transcoding on the Android TV. Try playing from the #--TRANSCODE--# folder and choose "No transcoding"
(if you do not see it, enable "show the #--Transcode--# folder" in the GUI on the navigation tab)
If that works then the conf file for the Android TV can be updated to tell UMS that that format is supported and not to transcode it.
I will need to see logs to help with this though, see the section in red above on how to do them.
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.