[SOLVED] Little hand with linux configuration?

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
AleAug

[SOLVED] Little hand with linux configuration?

Post by AleAug »

Hello guys,

Been using UMS since the days of PS3 Media Server, about 12 years now, never really needed help with anything so far, but now that I may need to swap to linux (pc too old for windows 11), I'm a little bit uncertain on how to proceed. I'm currently messing around a virtual box machine, just to see how it goes, and I found a guide for ubuntu daemon configuration that kinda worked on openSuSE (my distro of choice) but I can't figure out how to specify the folder I want to share, the daemon just shares my whole /home folder.

Here's the basic config I found online:

Code: Select all

[Unit]
Description=Run UMS as tecmint
DefaultDependencies=no
After=network.target

[Service]
Type=simple
User=tecmint
Group=tecmint
ExecStart=/opt/ums/UMS.sh
TimeoutStartSec=0
RemainAfterExit=yes
Environment="UMS_MAX_MEMORY=500M"

[Install]
WantedBy=default.target
Now, on my code the only thing I changed was the user name and it works, however I can't specify the one folder I actually want to share. I was wondering if there is a template similar to this, maybe with extra options, allowing me to specify the folder instead of sharing everything. It's important to mention that doing it like this it runs as a background process, I don't have a GUI to work with, if I run the UMS.sh directly than I do get to choose the folder, but different from my windows machine the choice isn't permanent, and in this way it does not start with then system, not sure why.

I'm uncertain if I'm posting this in the right place, like I said never really needed support, I would always find answers for my questions in old, already resolved, topics, but I can't quite find an answer for this. Like I said it works already, I just want to limit which folders are being shared.
Last edited by AleAug on Thu Oct 20, 2022 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mik_s

Re: Little hand with linux configuration?

Post by mik_s »

I know very little about Linux but if you have the program running then you are 90% of the way there.
The rest of the configuration should be in the UMS.conf file. There will be a copy of this in the installation folder but the one you need to change is in your user configuration folder. I can't remember where this is but maybe in the home folder if that makes any sense to you.

Look for the bit that says "folders =" to add your shared folders.

If that is no help then something that may be relevant is this guide on running UMS on Docker. It might give a clue to what is wrong.

In the upcoming V12 the Devs have been working on moving everything from the GUI to the web interface which will make it a lot easier to set up on headless systems. I don't know when but I saw mention that it is close to be at a state to release, and patreons will be the first ones to try it.
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
AleAug

Post by AleAug »

Alright, thanks for the advice. I tried editing the UMS.conf and it wouldn't accept the new config, but then I decided to run the .sh file, opened the GUI and was able to configure from there.

After doing that I closed the server and reactivated the service and it finally accepted the changes, now it's looking great. There are a few more things to configure properly, but this was the main problem I had, now the next things I need to do have to do with setting some scripts for the linux system and the devices where my stuff is stored, but that's a whole different thing, I need to unrust first.

Once again thanks for that, I had forgotten that you could configure all via text too. As I am concerned this problem is fixed, will edit the title.
Cheers man! :D
falves11

Re: [SOLVED] Little hand with linux configuration?

Post by falves11 »

Can I hire you to install it for me in Linux?
You choose what version, of the LTS ones.
I will give yo root access.
Kindly contact me on Twitter, @federicoalves
boss

Re: [SOLVED] Little hand with linux configuration?

Post by boss »

@AleAug
Do you start UMS by way of an init script in /etc/init.d/

If so, have a look at the UMS startup script attached.
Cheers
Attachments
ums.zip
(1.46 KiB) Downloaded 106 times
rhayy

Post by rhayy »

AleAug wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 5:35 pm Alright, thanks for the advice. I tried editing the UMS.conf and it wouldn't accept the new config, but then I decided to run the .sh file, opened the GUI and was able to configure from there.

After doing that I closed the server and reactivated the service and it finally accepted the changes, now it's looking great. There are a few more things to configure properly, but this was the main problem I had, now the next things I need to do have to do with setting some scripts for the linux system and the devices where my stuff is stored, but that's a whole different thing, I need to unrust first.

Once again thanks for that, I had forgotten that you could configure all via text too. As I am concerned this problem is fixed, will edit the title.
Cheers man! :D
There are actually two UMS.conf files:
- one is in the executable directory (the one which has been extracted)
- the other one should be in ~/.config/UMS directory (at least, for Ubuntu)

You should modify the latter.