32-bit vs 62-bit Machines and Compiling

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
counsil

32-bit vs 62-bit Machines and Compiling

Post by counsil »

It may just be dumb luck, but I have found UMS to be more stable, and use less RAM and CPU, if I compile it using the 64-bit JDK. I run UMS (and compile it) on a Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit machine.

The reason I started messing around with the 64-bit version of the JDK was because I found that the 1.30 version of UMS couldn't play any of my mp4/m4v videos (video and sound was extremely choppy) that I created with Handbrake (streaming to my PS3) any longer. When I reverted back to version 1.2.1 the video files started playing fine again. That's when I started compiling UMS myself again. And although I couldn't recreate the mp4 videos issue (because there were several commits that must have fixed the issue), I found that UMS seemed to be much more stable when I compiled against the 64-bit JDK.

Here are the things that I noticed that make me say it's more stable...
1. UMS uses less RAM (whether transcoding the files or not)
2. UMS uses less CPU (whether transcoding the files or not)
3. UMS was able to handle multiple streams (serving multiple devices) with much more ease

I'm not talking about just mp4 files either. Most of the files I stream are mkv or mkv converted to mpg using MKV2VOB.

Thoughts?
gambit

Re: 32-bit vs 62-bit Machines and Compiling

Post by gambit »

if it has those advantages it would be great to have a 64 bit ums, especially me when i am running it on a old whs 2011 dual core server
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

Hmm I'll try it :)
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

I measured the RAM usage and it was different every time but within the same boundaries whether compiled with 32-bit or 64-bit. For me it uses between about 180-280mb by default.