Subtitle problem

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
cinephile

Subtitle problem

Post by cinephile »

Hi,

I recently switched from PS3 Media Server to UMS as the latter was rumored to be playing HD movies with subtitles more smoothly (without stutter).

But now I noticed that when trying to load a MPEG4 file with .srt subtitles, it even doesn't seem to be able to play the movie. If I disable the subs in UMS my PS3 runs the file fine. But as I was able to play the same file WITH subs using PMS, I expect to be able to do the same using UMS. Have there been other reports of files having problems playing with subs before on UMS?
cinephile

Re: Subtitle problem

Post by cinephile »

I don't know if this log helps...

I left the "forced language" and "forced tags" out and had the audio/subtitle priority changed to "eng,off;*,eng;*,und" as it first was set to Dutch. But there were only external English subtitles in the file and I thought the file couldn't be loaded because UMS didn't find any Dutch subtitles but that didn't seem the problem. Still no luck. Could it be a problem with the latest UMS update (3.4.1)?

I think it strange that with PMS the file used to play fine but with UMS it doesn't play at all with subtitles.
Attachments
ums_dbg.zip
(21.58 KiB) Downloaded 497 times
KeLLeYLeK

Post by KeLLeYLeK »

Can UMS play subtitles without transcoding?
When i write mkv extension in skip transcoding area, UMS can't play subtitles with same named mkv files in my Samsung TV and in my WD Live TV.
KeLLeYLeK

Post by KeLLeYLeK »

I can't play subtitles without transcoding with UMS ver 3.3 & 3.4.
Then i go back to ver 2.6.4 and i can play subtitles with same named mkv files in my Samsung TV.
Wolfgan

Post by Wolfgan »

KeLLeYLeK wrote:Can UMS play subtitles without transcoding?
When i write mkv extension in skip transcoding area, UMS can't play subtitles with same named mkv files in my Samsung TV and in my WD Live TV.
I observed the same. It seems srt subtitles aren't streamed if the main file is mkv somehow. I need to run some tests to try to detect when it happens.
Do anyone know if Disable Subtitles in the Transcoding Settings tab also disable srt streaming or just video transcoding ops?
Wolf
-- UMS serving PS3, WDTV, Samsung H6400 + J5500 and Kalemsoft renderers! (no video transcoding but remuxing accepted :D )
cinephile

Post by cinephile »

Wolfgan wrote:
KeLLeYLeK wrote:Do anyone know if Disable Subtitles in the Transcoding Settings tab also disable srt streaming or just video transcoding ops?
Wolf
Yes, it also disables srt streaming.

I deleted UMS version 3.4.0 and installed version 3.4.0. Now everything is fixed and UMS now perfectly plays all the files with subs. :D

With the latest update I also had problem with subtitled VIDEO_TS files that got out of sync but also that seams to be fixed by installing the previous version. I don't know if there's a bug with the latest version or if I just did a different setting. I also checked the Force FPS parsed from FFmpeg in the meta file setting.

Now that everything seams to work I also noticed that HD movies with subtitles indeed play much more smoothly. :) Haven't noticed any stuttering so far.
cinephile

Post by cinephile »

I think I found out what the problem was.

First I had "encoded passthrough on DTS and AC3" unchecked. When I checked that setting everything worked fine. When I unchecked it again I couldn't play some videos with subtitles anymore. So for some reason I have to keep it checked. I don't know why it this affects the subtitles or am I missing something?

I also wonder what the difference is if I use "encoded audio passthrough" or when I have "keep DTS stream" and "keep AC3 stream" checked as both settings light the Dolby Digital or DTS signal on my receiver. Does these settings change anything to the quality or what is the difference?
Wolfgan

Post by Wolfgan »

cinephile wrote:
Wolfgan wrote:Do anyone know if Disable Subtitles in the Transcoding Settings tab also disable srt streaming or just video transcoding ops?
Wolf
Yes, it also disables srt streaming.
Thx for the confirmation.I hope it gets changed so streaming soft subtitles is independent of re-encoding them on the fly to the main video.
Wolf
-- UMS serving PS3, WDTV, Samsung H6400 + J5500 and Kalemsoft renderers! (no video transcoding but remuxing accepted :D )