This program doesn't seem very trustworthy...

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
dib

This program doesn't seem very trustworthy...

Post by dib »

I picked it out because I'm just trying to find alternatives to streaming my video files to our devices at home. And right off I catch it attempting outbound connections to internet sites.

This needs a big fucking 'offline only' button. I'm running it this moment with internet connectivity blocked by my firewall and it works fine without phoning home or whatever the hell it was trying to do. I consider this highly suspect that it tries to connect online but doesn't require it in order to function.
Last edited by Optimus_prime on Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CardcaptorRLH85

Re: This program doesn't seem very trustworthy...

Post by CardcaptorRLH85 »

dib wrote:I picked it out because I'm just trying to find alternatives to streaming my video files to our devices at home. And right off I catch it attempting outbound connections to internet sites.

This needs a big fucking 'offline only' button. I'm running it this moment with internet connectivity blocked by my firewall and it works fine without phoning home or whatever the hell it was trying to do. I consider this highly suspect that it tries to connect online but doesn't require it in order to function.
I know that the base program connects to the internet for update checking and certain plugins also require internet access for proper operation. However, there is an offline only option. On the General Configuration tab at the bottom in the Advanced HTTP and system settings section, there's an option labeled 'Enable external network'. Uncheck that and it shouldn't be able to access the internet anymore.

Also, as a rather large number of modern programs perform automatic update checks, I don't consider a program attempting to connect to the internet to be a sign of an untrustworthy program without a bit more evidence concerning what data is being transmitted.
DeFlanko

Post by DeFlanko »

The Source code resides in GitHub -- you're more than welcome to analyze the code there if you suspect something.

I can personally assure you there is no "conspiracy malware" in the code. :)

please keep in mind too, one day soon (you can check out the "Web" Branch in Github) that we will be offering a web interface piece.
dib

Post by dib »

I have neither the time or inclination. If it seems suspect I'll find something else. There's no reason for it to be connecting to anything outside my home network unless I say so.

It doesn't matter anyway because the program barely works. 90% of the files all gave a message saying it could not be parsed and will be hidden. Maybe it just doesn't support long file names or who knows what, but out of hundreds of files it only worked with a few directories.
Optimus_prime

Post by Optimus_prime »

If you don't trust us then don't use it. I have no reason to doubt it. I've used this for years, if you don't want it checking outside your network then block it, as you did. Maybe something maybe put it for future versions but it maybe well down the implementation list.
How Ask For Support
Remember, Debug Log's Can/Will Help and Explain your issues, we're not mind reader's but here to help
OS's I Use And Can Assist With: Windows 7/8, Mac OS-X 10.8 & 10.9
Mac OS-X Java 7 Builds Mac OS-X Java 7 Forum