UMSBuilderV2: build any UMS branch

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
Wolfgan

Re: UMSBuilderV2: build any UMS branch

Post by Wolfgan »

infidel wrote:
Wolfgan wrote:Question: the packing of the installer (.exe) file seems to take a lot of time and resources. Is there any way to just end the process on generating UMS.jar?
This has always been one of my pet peeves with building PMS/UMS, that there's no 'jar' target in pom.xml, tho obviously it hasn't bothered me enough to do anything about it :).
Not an expert whatsoever with makefiles, but quickly looking at latest POM.XML (https://github.com/UniversalMediaServer ... 71/pom.xml) I noticed there's a profile for "windows-jar" (line 1595). Is that profile one we can use / slightly modify to get just UMS.jar?
Wolfgan wrote:Question: the packing of the installer (.exe) file seems to take a lot of time and My own hacky solution is to just press CTRL-C and abort the build when the process enters the nsis phase, it doesn't harm anything.

EDIT: Feels like deja vu :D
CTRL-C rules, thanks!
-- UMS serving PS3, WDTV, Samsung H6400 + J5500 and Kalemsoft renderers! (no video transcoding but remuxing accepted :D )
Wolfgan

Post by Wolfgan »

I was trying to compile a test branch and found out that UMSbuilder aborts with an error.

Code: Select all

Your branch and 'origin/webdownload' have diverged,
and have 12 and 150 different commits each, respectively.
  (use "git pull" to merge the remote branch into yours)
fatal: Not possible to fast-forward, aborting.

Error: pull failed
I'm not well versed on github and this script, is there anything that I can do manually to get the branch synched again for UMSbuilder?
Thx in advance, Wolf
-- UMS serving PS3, WDTV, Samsung H6400 + J5500 and Kalemsoft renderers! (no video transcoding but remuxing accepted :D )
infidel
Developer

Post by infidel »

Wolfgan wrote:is there anything that I can do manually to get the branch synched again for UMSbuilder?
Easiest is to delete the existing branch and start over, i.e. in a console with git in your path:

Code: Select all

git branch -D webdownload
Wolfgan

Post by Wolfgan »

It worked. Thanks a lot @infidel!
Sami32

Post by Sami32 »

Hello,

+1 Thank you for your very useful and easy to use script :D

I would like use your buildv2.bat to make a build of UMS 6.0.0 and try different commits to find the culprit.
But i don't want any update, so since your script is difficult to understand for me, how do i need to proceed to modify you file for my needs ?

Regards
infidel
Developer

Post by infidel »

Sami32 wrote:I would like use your buildv2.bat to make a build of UMS 6.0.0 and try different commits to find the culprit.
Double-click buildv2.bat and follow the menus, in the second menu choose 6 ('Specify a commit or tag') and in the following menu enter at least the first 7 characters of the commit #, for example 1338a57.

If you want to quickly test different commits without building the whole UMS package each time, I recommend using a quick-compile setup. It can coexist with your default UMS installation and won't interfere with it at all. :).
Sami32

Post by Sami32 »

Thank you very much for your help :D

I just experimented to finally understand how to use it, and now that i just read your answer everything make sens :mrgreen:
I guess we cannot build with 2 or more commits/PR at the same time ? i didn't tried yet.

I really love your script, without full understanding it though :roll:
Sami32

Post by Sami32 »

@infidel i will need your advise.

I needed to increase heap space so i modified my mvn.bat file and everything was fine, but some comments on Internet say that it's better to modify the script and not mvn.bat.

So my question is: what is the more correct way to do that, modify your script or mvn.bat file ?
Sami32

Post by Sami32 »

Maybe the Git for Windows download link should be replaced by this one https://git-scm.com/download/win, as it offer 64-bit and portable version as well.
infidel
Developer

Post by infidel »

Sami32 wrote:Maybe the Git for Windows download link should be replaced by this one https://git-scm.com/download/win, as it offer 64-bit and portable version as well.
Thx for the suggestion, @Sami32, but I think I prefer the "official front page" link, so users can see/read about what we're asking them to install, then they can go to the download section if they want :).