Cannot play ext-subtitle on ipad but can play on Samsung TV

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
gatty

Cannot play ext-subtitle on ipad but can play on Samsung TV

Post by gatty »

Hi everyone,
I got this issue on v4.03 which is better than 4.02 when both TV and Ipad cannot play ext-subtitle. in v4.03, I can play the video on TV and it indicates "sub:SSA" while with the same file i play on ipad it says "external subtitle". UMS setup on MAC and apps that I tried on Ipad are VLC, 8player (full), Aceplayer (full).
please help if i did something wrong or it will be a bug to fix for the next release.
Thannk you
Attachments
ums_dbg.zip
(16.38 KiB) Downloaded 487 times
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Re: Cannot play ext-subtitle on ipad but can play on Samsung

Post by SubJunk »

Hi gatty, thanks for the report. We have some fixes coming in 4.0.4 and if this is still a problem after that, please let me know. Thanks
gatty

Post by gatty »

Hi SubJunk,
The issue is getting worse in this release in subtitle, both ipad and Samsung TV show up {external subtitle} and neither can play the external subtile (i both tried srt and ass files). the very bright side of this release is my Mac runs extremely smooth, no more lags and hang any more, browsing content on TV and ipad is very fast. please help us on the subtitle issue to makeit PERFECT!!! many thanks
attached is another debug
Attachments
ums_dbg.zip
(37.38 KiB) Downloaded 505 times
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

Hi gatty, the Samsung TV bug is fixed in 4.1.1 which will be released today, if the problem is still around on iPad in 4.1.1 please make new logs and I'll look at it :)
gatty

Post by gatty »

Hi Subjunk,
Thanks for the release. the subtitle issue seems to be solved in 4.1.1, subtitles are working well on both SS TV and Ipad.
However, while the streaming on SS TV is smooth, no lags at all, a new issue arises while streaming on ipad. I tried both VLC and FFmpeg and the video quality is very bad and keep lagging and sometimes crashed (both USM on MAC and renderer ipad) while SS TV at the same time has no issue while streaming. I can only try with 8player as Aceplayer does not work and VLC for IOS cannot see the shared media ( but can see USM server). one more issue in this release is that it makes the MAC slower
Attached is the log
thanks
Attachments
ums_dbg.zip
(119.83 KiB) Downloaded 485 times
Madoka

Post by Madoka »

Gatty,

I have a quick question about using VLC. When playing a video with subtitles, does it use/make a buffer like MEncoder and FFmpeg? Do you find it better than the above engines?

Thanks.
gatty

Post by gatty »

hi Madoka,
in previous releases, not talking about the subtitle issue above, I can see neither Vlc,FFmpeg nor MEncoder make or use buffer to play, all can run smoothly, a bit delay to load the file but when the movie comes up, you will not see any buffer on the status. Personally I see a bit better in video quality in Vlc.

Hi Subjunk,
Madoka's question is exactly what I want to add more to the report in this release.
- SamsungTV: stream smoothly, no buffer used
- Ipad: buffer used and take a long time to load the same movie. if you try to watch other movies a few times, it crashed.
- but if I use Imediashare to browse the movie and play to SamsungTV, everything is fine like you play directly from TV
Thanks
gatty

Post by gatty »

Hi Subjunk,
UPDATE: if I remove the external subtitle from the movie (play without subtitle), ipad can stream smoothly. Again, i guess it's another issue of transcoding subtitle for ios devices
thanks
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

gatty wrote:Hi Subjunk,
Thanks for the release. the subtitle issue seems to be solved in 4.1.1, subtitles are working well on both SS TV and Ipad.
However, while the streaming on SS TV is smooth, no lags at all, a new issue arises while streaming on ipad. I tried both VLC and FFmpeg and the video quality is very bad and keep lagging and sometimes crashed (both USM on MAC and renderer ipad) while SS TV at the same time has no issue while streaming. I can only try with 8player as Aceplayer does not work and VLC for IOS cannot see the shared media ( but can see USM server). one more issue in this release is that it makes the MAC slower
Attached is the log
thanks
I looked through the log and can only see instances of videos being played with VLC, not FFmpeg. I recommend disabling VLC since they keep breaking features in the program so its stability for our purposes isn't good, and we spend almost no time working on our implementation of it.
FFmpeg is the recommended transcoder.
gatty wrote:- Ipad: buffer used and take a long time to load the same movie. if you try to watch other movies a few times, it crashed.
If you could make logs of it crashing that would be useful :) It's normal for it to take a while to load when transcoding.
Madoka

Post by Madoka »

Thanks Gatty and SJ!