Pause/freeze on MKV files after a few minutes of watching

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
vigosxb

Pause/freeze on MKV files after a few minutes of watching

Post by vigosxb »

Hello everybody,

I am using PS3MS on a PS3 for a while, and now UMS. I have a problem with this both software since a reinstall my PC.
Every few minutes (5 or 6) the video stop (pause/freeze) and after a few second. No crash, only a "pause" oh a few seconds.

The config :

Windows 7 x64, 4gb ram, ATI HD6870, i5 750, on a Intel SSD hardrive
It's not a very recent config, but I never had problem with !

On my old Windows7 installation, it's work fine ! The mkv stream without problem !
It's a x86 installation on a HDD (not SSD).

And now with my installation in x64 I have this problemles. With this new install, it's ever the same thing, freeze after 6min.
I update the driver network card,
Update the mencoder files
Change the max transcode buffer to 400.
Look after the screensaver or equivalent.
Nothing...

And I was hoping it will work with UMS... but same problem

I don't know why it's doing this ! Here are the zip log file at the end of the post (for the debug file, you need to look between this lines, here the problem happened after a few second of watching, but later, it's after 5/6 minutes)

INFO 2014-08-31 12:37:29.811 [StartPlaying Event] Started playing Twin.Peaks.S01E06.VOSTFR.720p.BluRay.x264.DTS-KINeMA.mkv on your PlayStation 3
INFO 2014-08-31 12:38:08.561 [StopPlaying Event] Stopped playing Twin.Peaks.S01E06.VOSTFR.720p.BluRay.x264.DTS-KINeMA.mkv on your PlayStation 3

Any idea ?? It's incredible, it will be better with this new install, in x64, and it's worse.. o_O
I'm going crazy not to find why XD
For the moment I'm watching videos on my old W7 installation..

Thanks a lot for these who can respond me :)
Attachments
ums_dbg.zip
Debug log
(70.13 KiB) Downloaded 422 times
vigosxb

Re: Pause/freeze on MKV files after a few minutes of watchin

Post by vigosxb »

No ideas ? :)
Spelled

Post by Spelled »

Since you aren't getting any errors in the log, I would assume it's hardware related. I had the same issue with mine, and it turned out that one of my gigabit switches needed to be power cycled. Switch had no other symptoms except the annoying pause every 6-7 mins or so. All other traffic seemed fine.
Wolfgan

Post by Wolfgan »

Are you over a wired or wireless network?
-- UMS serving PS3, WDTV, Samsung H6400 + J5500 and Kalemsoft renderers! (no video transcoding but remuxing accepted :D )
vigosxb

Post by vigosxb »

A wired connection :)

I watched a MP4 file with UMS (the PS3 can decode MP4, so no need of mencoder, or ffmpeg or tsmuxer to decode the file) and it works fine, no pause/freeze.
I launched a MKV file, after 1min30, the video freeze for a few seconds. (with mencoder and tsmuxer)

So there is something about the decoding. The codec are updated, and buffer good (it seems)...
vigosxb

Post by vigosxb »

Something strange...

My PC is upstairs, so impossible to see what's happening on the UMS screen (with the buffer and current bitraire/Peak bitraite) when the video pause.
I install teamviewer on the PC, and on my smartphone, and launch the remote connection, and the problem happened only after 20min on a video ! (much better as 2min)
With the same video, I disabled the remote connection and try again the video on PS3, 2min after.. pause. I reconnect the remote connection between the smartphone and the PC, relaunch the video from the beginning, no pause during the 10 minutes I watch the movie.

So I think there is something (SSD drive or the network card ?) who shutdown or pause, after a few minutes of "inactivity".. I look after the standby, for the harddrive, but nothing.

Spelled, your idea is good, but on the PC, not on the switch. And idea where I could find something ? An option, or parameters ?
vigosxb

Post by vigosxb »

I used wireshark to see what happens on the network when the video freeze...here is the result

Any idea ? :) (192.168.1.17 is the PC, 192.168.1.21 is the PS3)

SuperDre

Post by SuperDre »

I think I have the same problem, that's why I'm posting in this thread instead of creating a new one.
I seem to have the same problem with a few large files (never had any problems before, but it's been a while that I watched a large file like these)
2 3D movies, 1 Maleficent (15GB) , and 1 Captain America (17GB)..
I've attached 2 logs one after maleficent, and the second (without closing UMS) after Captain america..

What I see, is that the buffer seems to quickly empty itself after which it doesn't refill.. (I deliberatly tried the ones without subtitles)

I'm using PS3 with latest version for Java 7.. buffer at 400, and 1280 heap (the one you set during setup).. (Also it would be a good thing to keep the logs from the last x-days, so we don't have to restart the movies after we closed UMS and forgot to save the logs..)
Attachments
ums_dbg(20140915_2).zip
(69.04 KiB) Downloaded 432 times
ums_dbg(20140915).zip
(50 KiB) Downloaded 403 times