Android support is lackluster?

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
Goldfire

Re: Android support is lackluster?

Post by Goldfire »

Tyestor wrote:With that config in XBMC, I had to go into the transcode folder and manually select ffmpeg. If I don't do that (pick the file outside the transcode folder) I get not video but I do get audio. Testing BubbleUPnP and MX Player now.
Interesting, I had a chance to try it out today with this .conf:

Code: Select all

UserAgentSearch = Neptune|Platinum|XBMC

TranscodeAudio = WAV
TranscodeVideo = MPEGTS-H264-AC3
DefaultVBVBufSize = true
MuxDTSToMpeg = true
WrapDTSIntoPCM = false
H264Level41Limited = false
MaxVideoBitrateMbps = 30
MaxVideoWidth = 1280
MaxVideoHeight = 720
TranscodeExtensions = mkv,hdmov,hdm,flac,fla,dts,ogg,asf,asx,m2v,avi

# Supported subtitles formats:
SupportedExternalSubtitlesFormats = SUBRIP
SupportedInternalSubtitlesFormats = SUBRIP
And that worked fine on my end, although AAC audio was absolutely shit compared to AC3, so opted to use that instead. Your config on my tablet doesn't work, my guess is the high resolution and bitrate coupled with the TF300T old CPU just doesn't have enough power behind it.

I'm afraid I can't really help out that much more, you're getting all the problems I had when I tried to find a native Android solution. Maybe someone else here might have a proper solution though.
leroy

Post by leroy »

You guys should try the config that I wrote for my Android phones :)
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2574
Tyestor

Post by Tyestor »

Goldfire wrote:
Tyestor wrote:With that config in XBMC, I had to go into the transcode folder and manually select ffmpeg. If I don't do that (pick the file outside the transcode folder) I get not video but I do get audio. Testing BubbleUPnP and MX Player now.
Interesting, I had a chance to try it out today with this .conf:

TranscodeAudio = WAV
DefaultVBVBufSize = true
MuxDTSToMpeg = true
WrapDTSIntoPCM = false
MaxVideoBitrateMbps = 30
MaxVideoWidth = 1280
MaxVideoHeight = 720

And that worked fine on my end, although AAC audio was absolutely shit compared to AC3, so opted to use that instead. Your config on my tablet doesn't work, my guess is the high resolution and bitrate coupled with the TF300T old CPU just doesn't have enough power behind it.

I'm afraid I can't really help out that much more, you're getting all the problems I had when I tried to find a native Android solution. Maybe someone else here might have a proper solution though.
Damn, dunno why we're getting different results. Sigh, so annoying. I'll try it again later.
leroy wrote:You guys should try the config that I wrote for my Android phones :)
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2574
Nice dude, I'll check them out later and report back!

EDIT: viewtopic.php?p=13481#p13481
EDIT 2: Transcoding to XBMC plays almost perfectly using the following config on the latest version (5.0.0-b1)

#----------------------------------------------------------------------------
# Profile for Xbox Media Center.
# See DefaultRenderer.conf for descriptions of all the available options.
#

RendererName = XBMC
RendererIcon = xbmc.png

# ============================================================================
# This renderer has sent the following string/s:
#
# User-Agent: XBMC/10.0 r35648 (Mac OS X; 11.2.0 x86_64; http://www.xbmc.org)
# User-Agent: Platinum/0.5.3.0, DLNADOC/1.50
#

UpnpDetailsSearch = XBMC Media Center - Media Renderer

TranscodeAudio = WAV
DefaultVBVBufSize = true
MuxDTSToMpeg = true
WrapDTSIntoPCM = false
MaxVideoBitrateMbps = 100
MaxVideoWidth = 1920
MaxVideoHeight = 1200
TranscodeExtensions = mkv,hdmov,hdm,flac,fla,dts,ogg,asf,asx,m2v,avi,mp4,mpg,mpeg,mov,wmv

SupportedExternalSubtitlesFormats = ASS,SUBRIP
SupportedInternalSubtitlesFormats = ASS,SUBRIP
The only problem I had was that it buffered for a small period, I'm going to assume that was because video bitrate is too high/some other option? In any case, XBMC now plays well, and this is a nice stopgap until I can get BubbleUPnP/MX Player playing how I want it to.
Goldfire

Post by Goldfire »

leroy wrote:You guys should try the config that I wrote for my Android phones :)
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2574
No dice here, it's the same issues I had years back. No playback etc.
Tyestor wrote:The only problem I had was that it buffered for a small period, I'm going to assume that was because video bitrate is too high/some other option? In any case, XBMC now plays well, and this is a nice stopgap until I can get BubbleUPnP/MX Player playing how I want it to.
Yea, the bitrate you've defined as the maximum is very high (100Mbps), if you're using 2.4GHz N, you'll find that you won't always achieve those speeds, that's why I opt for 30Mbps and not get buffer issues.

I'm unsure why you're getting poor quality as you described with the settings earlier. I'm very picky about the quality I receive and found no real issues using that config for XBMC on my first post in this thread.
Would you be able to get a screenshot of a poor quality section and post it? or even the actual video itself for me to test out?
Tyestor

Post by Tyestor »

Goldfire wrote:Yea, the bitrate you've defined as the maximum is very high (100Mbps), if you're using 2.4GHz N, you'll find that you won't always achieve those speeds, that's why I opt for 30Mbps and not get buffer issues.
Yeah, 5ghz N is what I'm using. I'll scale it down to 40-50 and try it again.
Goldfire wrote:I'm unsure why you're getting poor quality as you described with the settings earlier. I'm very picky about the quality I receive and found no real issues using that config for XBMC on my first post in this thread.
Would you be able to get a screenshot of a poor quality section and post it? or even the actual video itself for me to test out?
It's not poor quality exactly, it's more like it just doesn't look as good as it could since MX Player uses better codecs than XBMC. Plus, unless your device has an IPS screen of at least 1920x1080 it's not going to look the same as mine whether you have the same file as me. But you can test it if you want though, the file I'm using to test is episode one of Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica, release done by Meguca (I think their release is hosted on UTW's site). I'll link it if you can't find it, anime fansubs can be quite troublesome to find at the best of times.
Goldfire

Post by Goldfire »

Tyestor wrote:It's not poor quality exactly, it's more like it just doesn't look as good as it could since MX Player uses better codecs than XBMC. Plus, unless your device has an IPS screen of at least 1920x1080 it's not going to look the same as mine whether you have the same file as me. But you can test it if you want though, the file I'm using to test is episode one of Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica, release done by Meguca (I think their release is hosted on UTW's site). I'll link it if you can't find it, anime fansubs can be quite troublesome to find at the best of times.
Oh okay, I tested with Steins;Gate because they're near raw, coming in at almost 3GB per episode and they do actually look fine. The screen on my TF300T is IPS LCD and res = 1280x800 (I know it isn't as high in terms of resolution as your Nexus, but it isn't too bad), UMS downscales from any res that's higher to 720p.

XBMC.conf I use should be the same as the first one I posted:

#----------------------------------------------------------------------------
# Profile for Xbox Media Center.
# See DefaultRenderer.conf for descriptions of all the available options.
#

RendererName = XBMC
RendererIcon = xbmc.png

# This renderer has sent the following string/s:
#
# User-Agent: XBMC/10.0 r35648 (Mac OS X; 11.2.0 x86_64; http://www.xbmc.org)
# User-Agent: Platinum/0.5.3.0, DLNADOC/1.50
#

TranscodeAudio = WAV
DefaultVBVBufSize = true
MuxDTSToMpeg = true
WrapDTSIntoPCM = false
MaxVideoBitrateMbps = 30
MaxVideoWidth = 1280
MaxVideoHeight = 720

As the video is playing in XBMC, tap the screen and in the top right, change the video settings. You can modify the output and add some post processing, might be worth tinkering around with that and see if it helps.

Otherwise yea, I can't really recommend anything else, sorry.
Tyestor

Post by Tyestor »

The Madoka episodes I'm using are around 2.1gb each, 11-12Mbps bitrate per episode, so they're pretty heavy too. The Steins;Gate ones are pretty good too but IIRC the BD source is upscaled so I think it's pointless getting anything higher than the 720p version (at least according to "WhyNot?" ([URL=http://whynotsubs.com/motherfucking-sci ... /#comments]comments here saying that the Steins;Gate BD looks closer too 540p)). Anyway, thanks dude. As I said in one of my previous posts, I would still prefer to use MX Player + BubbleUPnP if I can get it working but I have no problem with using XBMC for now it's just that my MAIN problem is that I really don't like the UI (the media player UI, not the media center UI but thanks for suggesting I download a skin, though, that helped with that UI problem). MX Player also seems to want to add DLNA support in the future so that should be interesting, I don't know how far away that is though.