UMS 5 causing GPU to overheat when using MEncoder to stream to PS3?

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
Henduluin

UMS 5 causing GPU to overheat when using MEncoder to stream to PS3?

Post by Henduluin »

Hello,

Earlier today I was streaming video to my PS3 using the same settings I've been using for pretty much years now, when I noticed my PC making quite the racket. After a quick check, it turned out my GPU (Radeon HD5850) was fully maxed out on load, and pulling some 85 degrees C. Now, my PC is very much in need of an upgrade, but up until the latest version of UMS, I've never had this happen.

It seems to only happen with MEncoder, which is my default renderer. When I switched the "no transcode" option, everything was fine and my GPU temp and load dropped to normal levels. However, when I tried to reproduce this issue afterwards, nothing happened and temp/load stayed at regular levels, so I'm afraid I do not have any logs to provide.

I'm mostly wondering if anyone else has ever had a similar issue, or whether this was some kind of odd fluke.
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Re: UMS 5 causing GPU to overheat when using MEncoder to stream to PS3?

Post by SubJunk »

MEncoder shouldn't use any GPU unless it's also using AviSynth
Henduluin

Post by Henduluin »

I don't think I've ever even used AviSynth. It's also completely disabled in the options.

I've checked GPU acceleration under Common Transcode Settings however, but that option's been available (and enabled) for quite a while as far as I know and has never before caused any trouble. So just a random hiccup, then?
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

Yeah I don't think it is related :)
Henduluin

Post by Henduluin »

Alright, thanks. Time to dig through my PC and figure out what in the world could've caused it then. The damn thing needs to keep it together for just a few more months :|
jj123

Post by jj123 »

Perhaps related I'm noticing that as of v5, the GUI is causing the javaw process to reach 10% CPU utilization which causes the fans on my PC to kick in.

If I minimize the GUI, CPU returns to 0% for the javaw process.
Madoka

Post by Madoka »

I've noticed something similar to jj123, I get 12% CPU use with the javaw.exe. I didn't notice if it was related to the GUI, at the time. I do notice the memory use bar jumping left and right all the time though.