Xbox One no longer locating UMS

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
25233Guyver

Re: Xbox One no longer locating UMS

Post by 25233Guyver »

jimwhat wrote:
infidel wrote:
jimwhat wrote:It took some time, but I got it to somewhat work... Sometimes, it doesn't find the renderers, other times it doesn't show to content of the folders,
Thx jimwhat :). Apologies if this is a silly question, but is it possible there was another instance of ums running? The debug version isn't that different from 5.0.1, it just logs a lot more info.
I thought the same thing.

I said that the debug version was spotty, and by that I mean that the only time it would work was after rebooting my computer. Running UMS for the first time after a reboot worked fine, but if I quit the program, and then re-launch it later, it wouldn't work. Checking the task manager showed that there was no UMS running, but there was and instance of Java running that I could not close (end process). The only way I could get rid of it was to reboot the computer.

So, this might have been the other instance you were talking about. Oddly enough, my current 5.0.1 doesn't do that for some reason. When I quit it, nothing remains in the Task Manager.

Example:

1. Run then Quit
2. Run then Quit
3. Run then Quit
4. Run then Quit

After this, Task Manager shows no UMS or Java running. When I tried the same thing in 5.02 it looked like this:

1. Run and Quit
2. Run and Quit
3. Run and Quit
4. Run and Quit

The Task Manager would show 4 instances of Java still running (and for some reason I can't force close them). This was most likely the cause of the problems, but I didn't know how to fix it, so I just reverted back to the normal UMS. Let me know if you have any other questions :)
I've tried running and ending UMS like this (With the last build given to me, UMS-1bbfc78), and Java runs and quits each time.
jimwhat

Post by jimwhat »

25233Guyver wrote: I've tried running and ending UMS like this (With the last build given to me, UMS-1bbfc78), and Java runs and quits each time.
My debug was UMS-764ce59, but it could've just been my computer. I unfortunately don't know enough to be able to figure out why though.
infidel
Developer

Post by infidel »

jimwhat wrote:The Task Manager would show 4 instances of Java still running (and for some reason I can't force close them).
25233Guyver wrote:I've tried running and ending UMS like this (With the last build given to me, UMS-1bbfc78), and Java runs and quits each time.
When it rains it pours :). I just tested in win7 also and didn't get any lingering instances, so there must be something else going on there. Unfortunately jimwhat's comparison logs seem to be compromised by this secondary issue since some of the message traffic is missing, presumably going to a phantom instance instead. Would it be possible to reboot and create logs with the first instance, assuming this may not have happened before?
jimwhat

Post by jimwhat »

infidel wrote:
jimwhat wrote:The Task Manager would show 4 instances of Java still running (and for some reason I can't force close them).
25233Guyver wrote:I've tried running and ending UMS like this (With the last build given to me, UMS-1bbfc78), and Java runs and quits each time.
When it rains it pours :). I just tested in win7 also and didn't get any lingering instances, so there must be something else going on there. Unfortunately jimwhat's comparison logs seem to be compromised by this secondary issue since some of the message traffic is missing, presumably going to a phantom instance instead. Would it be possible to reboot and create logs with the first instance, assuming this may not have happened before?
Tested some stuff, and I think I may have found my problem. I normally run UMS as an admin to avoid problems with my AntiVirus program. Turned off the AV program and ran it normally=no problems (java fully closes). My AV might have been causing the problems.

HTTPv2 still makes it act a little weird, but unchecking it made everything run the same way it did in 5.0.1.

The first attachment was running UMS right after a reboot w/ HTTPv2 turned on.
ums_dbg(Jimwhat-NoHTTP).zip
(38.89 KiB) Downloaded 415 times
The second attachment was after I had closed UMS to update the No HTTPv2 option.
ums_dbg(Jimwhat).zip
(43 KiB) Downloaded 433 times
infidel
Developer

Post by infidel »

25233Guyver wrote:I've tried running and ending UMS like this (With the last build given to me, UMS-1bbfc78)
@25233Guyver, some other things to try:
  • Your logs show a ums session that lasts a minute or so. In order to catch any 'late' events it would be good if you let it run for 5+ minutes (and send logs, HttpV2 setting doesn't matter).
  • Explicitly set your network interface to 'Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260' from the dropdown list at 'General Configuration >> Network settings (advanced) >> Force networking on interface', save, and restart ums (no need for logs unless you notice some difference).
  • if still no joy, try temporarily shutting down your 'LogMeIn Hamachi Virtual Ethernet Adapter' and restarting ums (no need for logs unless you notice some difference).
ExSport

Post by ExSport »

@infidel: I have same behavior with few last versions of UMS (last 6 months?).
First UMS instance creates javaw.exe process which is not always closed immediately (in most cases) when UMS is shutted down.
Process can't be killed and lasts for few minutes, then it disappears from running processes. Seems like some thread blocks correct javaw process.
In most cases when another UMS is started and quitted, second javaw process is immediately closed but the first one still hanged in processes.
This state is most of time behavior on my side. Funny that in most cases netstat shows there is no listener on port 5001 after UMS close but with still existing javaw process. In few cases listener exists when UMS is shutted down and javaw is still running.
Waiting for Netty 4.x if it fixes it for me. I tested MediaInfo True/False, Cache enabled/disabled with no different behavior.
When I force close javaw.exe process UMS icon disappear but javaw process runs few minutes longer until it disappear (additional try of javaw force close is ignored or it shows access denied). I hate this behavior when debugging UMS functionality because I have to wait e.g. 5mins until I can start UMS again after some configuration changes.
Using latest x64 bit of JAVA 8 (Tested v7 with same behavior)
Seems when some code is initialized in UMS it blocks immediate UMS close (javaw process), I expect it is networking code which is maybe bugy with more interfaces and forcing IP/adapter doesn't work as it should.
E.g.forcing binding to fake IP address or localhost and enabling whitelist to fake IP, UMS still detects my LG Smart TV and shows it in GUI. So maybe blockage is also connected to some special renderer or network adapter so not all users have same problem.
infidel
Developer

Post by infidel »

ExSport wrote:@infidel: I have same behavior with few last versions of UMS (last 6 months?).
It would be excellent if you could pinpoint the version (or better yet commit :-) for this, I've scanned recent changes but found nothing suspicious (to my eyes anyway). My problem is I can't reproduce the bug(s).
ExSport

Post by ExSport »

Maybe it depends on specific network interfaces or renders which affects this behavior.
It doesn't matter which version. I tested many and all had same problem from latest v4 and v5 including latest commits. Unfortunately there is nothing useful in logs or I was blind:-)
I am not at home so my tests are mainly done remotely so I can't disable the network on which renderers are present as it is the one to which I am connected:-))
Will try to disable some useless interfaces if behavior is influenced by them or not. Ehm, I have managed switch and ARP command so will troubleshoot it more later with excluding some renderers...
infidel
Developer

Post by infidel »

ExSport wrote:It doesn't matter which version. I tested many and all had same problem from latest v4 and v5
Try stepping backwards by netty version:
  • 4.3.1 - netty 3.9.5
  • 4.2.1 - netty 3.9.4
  • 4.0.3 - netty 3.9.1
ExSport

Post by ExSport »

Thx. Will give it a try after my planned tests with playing around the network interfaces first:

Code: Select all

WAN Miniport (SSTP)
WAN Miniport (IKEv2)
WAN Miniport (L2TP)
WAN Miniport (PPTP)
WAN Miniport (PPPOE)
WAN Miniport (IPv6)
WAN Miniport (Network Monitor)
NVIDIA nForce 10/100/1000 Mbps Ethernet
Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
WAN Miniport (IP)
Adaptér tunelového režimu Microsoft Teredo
RAS Async Adapter
TAP-Windows Adapter V9
Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #2
Microsoft 6to4 Adapter
Sony Ericsson Device 1039 USB Ethernet Emulation (NDIS 5)
Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
[/size]