PS4 now support DLNA!

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
AlGrenadine

Re: PS4 now support DLNA!

Post by AlGrenadine »

mero27 wrote:Hi Guys,
so i have an issue with some video files, mainly anime, that i cannot fast forward or rewind in, and there's no timeline or minutes counter, any idea how i can fix this?
Thanks.
Yes i also have the same issue, no FF/RW on transcoded files, and non-transcoded files get A/V sync issues. Do you have this 2nd issue ?
Jbsnake

Post by Jbsnake »

I have the same issues as you AlGrenadine. Also i must set static ip on the ps4 and on the server or im getting disconnected every 20 minutes or so. Isn't transcoding kind of slow on the ps4 to? PS3 starts much faster.
Would love to be able to put away my ps3 but it's still better to use when transcoding so i can resume or fast forward files, and its also better when transcoding many times thanks to a/v sync :)
Ohh, another issue wich isn't much of a problem. I use sort on date added and it does nothing on the PS4.

Thanks for all the hard work so far though!
jobboy

Post by jobboy »

hi,
thanks to all for your great work.
I am a new ps4 owner and i use to stream videos on TV with UMS.
i read on this forum that with the latest release (5.2.1) you can now play mkv files with dts audio on ps4.
My question is, is it a true native dts sound or is it transcoded to a different format (AAC??) in order to be played on ps4?
i ask that because i thought ps4 couldn't handle dts sound natively, and i have HT so i aim for the best quality.
Thanks in advance
ExSport

Post by ExSport »

@jobboy: Yes, UMS will transcode audio automatically to AAC/AC3 etc. so it fixes no sound for PS4 from older versions.
Not sure what audio formats are supported by PS4 but you can test LPCM transcoding as it is almost same quality (lossless) as DTS but encapsulated in another container (audio is transcoded with lossless codec).
Some receivers apply different filters on DTS/PCM/... so you can hear differences but it is due to postprocessing, not by transcoding quality.
One of disadvantage is that different engines (MEncoder, FFmpeg,...) extracts DTS audio differently, also across different versions, so it can happen that audio channels can be switched.
If you will find such behavior, post more info so it can be fixed in code 8-) (I don't use it so don't know how it works now but expect that it should work correctly :mrgreen: )
Last edited by ExSport on Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jobboy

Post by jobboy »

ExSport wrote:@jobboy: Yes, UMS will transcode audio automatically to AAC/AC3 etc. so it fixes no sound for PS4 from older versions.
Not sure what audio formats are supported by PS4 but you can test LPCM transcoding as it is almost same quality (lossless) as DTS but encapsulated in another container.
Some receivers apply different filters on DTS/PCM/... so you can hear differences but it is due to postprocessing, not by transcoding quality.
One of disadvantage is that different engines (MEncoder, FFmpeg,...) extracts DTS audio differently, also across different versions, so it can happen that audio channels can be switched.
If you will find such behavior, post more info so it can be fixed in code 8-) (I don't use it so don't know how it works now but expect that it should work correctly :mrgreen: )
ok i checked "use LPCM" inside transcoding audio menu and tried a movie with DTS audio....from transcode folder i selected (Tsmuxer - AUDIO: DTS) and it works.
Sound looks good, tell me if i can check anyhing else...i am a newbie :(
Thanks
MrH

Post by MrH »

AlGrenadine wrote:
so i have an issue with some video files, mainly anime, that i cannot fast forward or rewind in, and there's no timeline or minutes counter, any idea how i can fix this?
Thanks.
Yes i also have the same issue, no FF/RW on transcoded files, and non-transcoded files get A/V sync issues. Do you have this 2nd issue ?
Currently dealing with this right now as well, it's very annoying.
Bumintrain

Post by Bumintrain »

Am wondering how much effect renderer profiles can have on core elements of program?

In regards to PS4 playing music, playlist/album support is non-functional (not due to UMS but rather Sony's terrible implementation of a protocol which I believe they were largely responsible for creating). The PS4 organizes and plays all folders/playlists into alphabetical order regardless of track info or place in playlist. This only gives you the ability to play albums/playlists alphabetically or randomly rather than sequentially, which for those of us who enjoy albums is criminal. The ability to play outside music in the background is a very nice one, and I wish that we could get Sony's half-done player to behave correctly even if we have to do an ugly hack to make it so.

I'm not much of a Java man and I don't have a great understanding of DLNA, but I did take a quick look at the code and it appears to me that UMS utilizes MediaInfo to extract the tag info out of the files in a folder, then passes along that tag info to the renderer. At this point the renderer (at least in the PS4's case) disregards most of the tag info, and then organizes alphanumerically by track-title alone. So, if we can use a profile to modify UMS's behavior only when dealing with the PS4, to prepend the track-number to the track-title UMS sends to the renderer (i.e. "02 Babe I'm Gonna Leave You" vs "Babe I'm Gonna Leave You") we can fix the sorting issue when dealing with albums. Playlists seem a little more tricky as they are treated as folders themselves, with symbolic links to music. Does UMS open the playlist file and return a folder or is this handled by the renderer? Depending on which a similar solution can be sorted out.
AlGrenadine

Post by AlGrenadine »

MrH wrote:
AlGrenadine wrote:
Thanks.
Currently dealing with this right now as well, it's very annoying.
Could we have a patch that handles FF/RW, it's barely useable like this ? :(
K.I.T.T.

Post by K.I.T.T. »

Ahoj,

nevím jak je to možný ale PS4 přes media player vůbec nevidí ani PS3 media server ani Universal media server,
dík za odpověď.
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

As far as I know, it's a limitation of the PS4 that it can't fast-forward or rewind when videos are being transcoded, only when they are streamed. Are there other servers that are doing it?