UMS.exe sometimes not starting

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
SuperDre

UMS.exe sometimes not starting

Post by SuperDre »

I don't know why, but lately it seems UMS.exe (5.2.1 java7) doesn't start no matter what I do (windows 8.1 Pro x64).. and it seems it doesn't create a log file..
While using the UMS.bat it does start..
ExSport

Re: UMS.exe sometimes not starting

Post by ExSport »

Probably you set Java HeapSize value too high. Reduce it to lower value in registry (default is 768 if I remember right):

Code: Select all

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Universal Media Server\HeapMem
SuperDre

Post by SuperDre »

Yep, that was the problem, but that means something has changed since the last (couple of) update(s), as I always used 1280 and it never was a problem until just recently
ExSport

Post by ExSport »

Maybe. But on your PC, not in UMS as Java tries to reserve contiguous memory at specified size and when it is not available it will fail. Root cause can be another installed apps, currently running apps etc...
naks

Post by naks »

Hi guys,

I'm also having the same problem on a newly-installed PC running Windows 8 x64 on i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60GHz with 16Gb RAM.

UMS (v5.2.2) shows up in the Startup program list, but it never starts. I changed the heap size back to 768Mb, but still no luck.

any ideas?
SuperDre

Post by SuperDre »

For me setting it back to 768 did the trick, but I still find it weird as I have 16GB of memory and more than enough was free. Also never had any problems in that past, but maybe it was another application which is using java that has grown in size (utorrent, dropbox?) and ofcourse UMS itself..
naks

Post by naks »

FIXED

After some intense Googling, I finally found the issue and a solution by searching for a fix for Windows 10 instead of 8.

It turns out that adding the shortcuts under the registry entry used in Win 7 does not work in Win 8 and 10.

Previously, whatever shortcut you placed as a STRING registry entry in "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run" would result in that program being started with Windows.

However, from Win 8 onward, this has now moved to the following key: "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run"

Once I added the STRING entries for SickBeard, SABNzbd, and UMS, they all ran at startup 8-)