mkv video seek (10x, 30x, 120x ) not working for mencoder...

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
sanjeev

mkv video seek (10x, 30x, 120x ) not working for mencoder...

Post by sanjeev »

Hi,

I have just moved to UMS 2.1.2 and want to compliment that it works out of the box and does not have many of the issues I see with PMS 1.7.2 (I am a long time PMS user). I have tested almost all of my video collection with various formats and things work really well. Subtitles et'al

Now to the problem:
-------------------------
I am not able to seek video at 10/30/120x when playing mkv videos. Seek works fine for 1.5x As soon as I try higher seeks, the screen just freezes and I after a very long time (1-5 minutes) video starts working but with very little seek forward. Sometimes video does not resume and I have to cancel and go back to the file listing. This only happens with mencoder and only for mkv files. tmuxer seek works just fine (but we know no subtitles with that).

If I do not seek, everything works just perfect. I am on mac osx 1.7.5

Another problem
---------------------
I keep seeing this error randomly - 800288E1 "This content cannot be played". After retrying 2-3 times the same file plays well.

Would appreciate any help on these.

[Update Dec-09]
I have observed both of the above problems more pronounced when .srt file exists along with the video.

Sanjeev
sanjeev

Re: mkv video seek (10x, 30x, 120x ) not working for mencode

Post by sanjeev »

Any updates/inputs anyone ? I also found that these issues start coming from 2.0.0 onwards. 1.6.0 works just fine. May be this is osx specific....
squadjot

Post by squadjot »

EDIT: i think you know this already.. my answer may be flawed, and not be specifically related to your problem

The reason is that your server simply cant keep up with the data you are requesting, and it's perfectly normal.

If you are streaming without subtitles, your renderer probably can read the data with UMS has to change it..so UMS is simply passing the data on to the render (*make it sound so easy ;O)

Anyways.. The key is, that you mention that it happens only when subtitles are involved,

To show external subtitles, UMS loads the srt and the video, and begins to put theese two together as one stream.
You can image that this process requires alot more power from your computer/server, especially when your constantly changing "playhead position"..when your fforwarding etc..

Instead of fast forwarding, use time, or intervals (square button i beleive, if your on ps3 that is)
sanjeev

Post by sanjeev »

Thanks. Yes, the time-based seek works. Just that this type of seek is very easy to use. Right now this is not a show stopper for me.

I would although mention that I can use seek very well in PMS 1.7.2 and well as UMS 1.6.0. UMS 2.0.0 onwards the issues for seek & "Content cannot be played" can be seen.
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

Yeah debug files would be useful, please upload one from a version where it works and one where it doesn't