Transcoding issues

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
Nadahar

Re: Transcoding issues

Post by Nadahar »

The problem seems to lie outside of UMS. From your log I can see that UMS fails to create a named pipe (a pipe is a "channel" applications can set up to communicate with each other). All transcoding will fail since the transcoder and UMS communicates via pipes, so in other words it's not possible to estabilish a connection between UMS and the transcoding engine.

The command to create the pipe is a standard Windows API method: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/librar ... 85%29.aspx
JNA (Java Native Access) answers with: Unrecognized calling convention: 3
In other words, something in the call to the Windows library is unrecognized, although it's not clear to me if it's unrecognized by JNA or Windows (kernel32.dll). The feedback "3" gives us a lot to go on (irony), but the only thing in our call that is "3" is the dwOpenMode argument. 3 here means that the pipe should be read and write / to way and is called PIPE_ACCESS_DUPLEX. This seems to be a valid value for all Windows versions as far as I can tell, and shouldn't be "controversial" in any way.

For this to happen, something must be seriously wrong with either your Java installation or with your Windows installation as far as I can tell. I'm still running 1.8.0_60 myself, so I havn't tried 1.8.0_65. It could be a problem with this version, but I find it a bit strange as I struggle to find any similar error on google. It it were a general bug in that Java version one would think that the web would drown in similar issues.

I would deactivate Comodo while testing (you probably have already) and then try to completely uninstall Java, reboot and install Java fresh. If that doesn't help I would repeat, but install 1.8.0_60 instead. If that doesn't help, I would look for problems in Windows. Even though it's rare as far as I know, some malware replaces kernel32.dll (were the CreateNamedPipeA function resides), so a complete scan with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware or similar could also be worth an attempt to try to rule out any such cause.

If none of this helps, I don't really know. To really be able to debug this, I'd have to be able to reproduce the problem. This is for obvious reasons hard, since there's no problems creating pipes on my Windows.

There are some general troubleshooting information for named pipes that could help you resolve the issue here: http://superuser.com/questions/462443/w ... es-to-fail
ExSport

Post by ExSport »

In most cases revoked named pipes are due to Antivirus/Firewall or security policy set (e.g. on Windows).
So as Nadahar mentioned, good start is to try disable antivirus/firewall and test it again.
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

If this is a problem with jre-8u65 we haven't seen the last of it...