Xbox one wont transcode.

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
charlie5467

Xbox one wont transcode.

Post by charlie5467 »

Recently I got a new router from tmobile which is pretty much the asus ac68u. Well i switched out my old ac66r which used to be my main router to my room and made it a media bridge. But ever since I have done this my xbox wont transcode anything when before it would only my pc and xbox wasnt connected to a media bridge but just used in built in wireless. To clarify my old router (ac66r) is being used in media bridge mode with pc and xbox both connected them. That same media bridge(ac66r) is connected to my new router (ac68u) via the 5ghz channel. Is there a reason why it wont transcode now while still using the same files. Hopefully I was clear. All help would be appreciated.
Nadahar

Re: Xbox one wont transcode.

Post by Nadahar »

I don't know how the "media bridge" functionality works on a network level, but from what I can read on the internet it requires some software to be installed on the PC that's going to use the "media bridge". That tells me that this isn't supporting standard network functions and require special software drivers to work. Do you have this software available for the xbox?

Also, from what I understand, the "media brige" is meant to use a wireless router-to-router connection to bridge a wired network. That means that you'd have to use a wired network on the other side of the bridge. Is that what you're doing?

In any case, this doesn't seem to be an UMS issue. For UMS to work the underlying network must work properly. You'll have to investigate network connectivity and latency to get a better understanding of how this is working. I'd like to add that even in ideal circumstances this "media bridge" can't deliver more than halv the bandwidth of a single ethernet cable, and the latency is probably much worse.