UMS suddenly undetectable by Xbox One

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
Kumputer

UMS suddenly undetectable by Xbox One

Post by Kumputer »

I'm not sure what suddenly went wrong after I've been using UMS to render to my Xbox One for many months. A few days ago, when I start UMS, my Xbox One shows up in the list of detected media renderers, but in the XB1 media player app, UMS does not show up. It does see Plex, and the Windows 10 media streamer, but no UMS. I'm not sure if this started happening right after the last Xbox One software update or not.
Nadahar

Re: UMS suddenly undetectable by Xbox One

Post by Nadahar »

Try following the red text above, and someone might be able to figure out what is going wrong.
Kumputer

Post by Kumputer »

Sorry about that. Here it is acttached.
ums_dbg XB1 cant fint.zip
(38.34 KiB) Downloaded 432 times
Kumputer

Post by Kumputer »

I noticed the IP address in the log looks a bit odd:

TRACE 2015-11-17 10:12:22.577 [main] available addresses for eth0 is: [/169.254.80.80]
TRACE 2015-11-17 10:12:22.577 [main] non loopback/ipv4 addresses: [/169.254.80.80]

Normally when I see addresses that start with 169, it means there's a connection problem. I would expect to see a local address: 192.168.1.xxx. That said, if I point my web browser there, it works, strangely enough.
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

I see from your log that your running this on a VM, and you have defined two network adapters for this VM. The one with the "invalid" IP address is called "Hyper-V Virtual Ethernet Adapter #2", while you have a real IP address at "Hyper-V Virtual Ethernet Adapter". For some reason, UMS lists "Hyper-V Virtual Ethernet Adapter #2" as eth 0 (the first network adapter), and it might be that UMS binds to this adapter.

It's not strange that the 169.x.x.x answers, the IP adresses are real enough but IP's in this series is selected by the OS when the NIC is set to receive IP adress via DHCP but can't find any DHCP server. So, you're right that in normally means connection problems. My guess is that "Hyper-V Virtual Ethernet Adapter #2" isn't connected to anything in the Hyper-V configuration.

If I were you I'd just remove adapter #2 from the VM, since it's lack of connectivity indicates that it's not being used for anything. Alternatively, you'd have to select which NIC UMS should use on the "General Configuration" tab under "Network settings". You have to have "Hide advanced options" unchecked for this setting to be visible.
Kumputer

Post by Kumputer »

Ohhhh! Wonderful, thank you. That explains it. It's not a VM, but I did recently enable HyperV via the BIOS for some Android emulation/development I was dabbling in, so that's probably why it looks like one. I'll probably just turn it off to keep it simple when I get home today.