HT-J5500 won't show external subs

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
TheDutchess

HT-J5500 won't show external subs

Post by TheDutchess »

Yesterday I decided to try out UMS (after having used Serviio very happily for a long time), because our new Samsung HT-J5500 sound system (which is also our smarthub downstairs as the tv isn't smart yet) refused to play nice with Serviio and I read that UMS did work with the J-series. Sadly, after having spent a good 8 hours on it, I've not yet been able to get it to work.
First off, UMS does not recognize the HT-J5500 and shows it as and unrecognized device. Tried fixing it by setting the Samsung J55xx Series as default renderer (and indeed it now shows up as such). Unfortunately the HT-J5500 refuses to see any file that has an external sub with it. They just don't show up in the list, at all. Any file that does NOT have a sub associated with it shows up and plays just fine.
The issue really seems to be with the configuration, as our Samsung E-series TV upstairs has no issues seeing and playing the files at all.

The only log I can find that seems vaguely relevant (IP blocked out for privacy reasons):
13:27:11 INFO Using the following UUID configured in UMS.conf: 5b162ab6-856b-4c18-9296-eb6b4713c260
13:27:11 INFO No IP filter specified, access granted to /*IP address*
13:27:11 INFO Media renderer was not recognized. Possible identifying HTTP headers:User-Agent: [HTS]J5500 DLNADOC/1.50

If there's any information I should be providing to help find the issue, do let me know, it was rather unclear what issue to 'reproduce' with a TRACE-log here, as I can't actually play anything because the files just aren't showing up.

I do hope someone can help out. I know there are a lot of issues with the Samsung J-series, I had just hoped to find the solution with UMS and am quite frustrated I can't get it to work.

EDIT: see further posts, as the initial problem has been (partially) solved.
Last edited by TheDutchess on Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
Nadahar

Re: HT-J5500 not recognized and won't show files with external subs

Post by Nadahar »

Follow the text in red above to produce trace logs. Even though you can't try to play the missing files, browsing the folders where they are will generate logs for them containing the decision to hide them.
TheDutchess

Post by TheDutchess »

Well, an update.
For some reason once I started the Trace and tried finding files..... They were actually there, and could be played.... BUT, now the subtitles are on for some files and not for others.

I'll include the trace log for my attempt where I tried to play:
1.file named 'Batman Begins', mp4 file, srt subs: no subs shown
2.file named 'Ice Age 2-The Meltdown', avi file, srt subs: no subs shown
3.file named 'Strictly Ballroom', mkv file, srt subs: shows the subs just fine, and hitting the 'sub' button on the remote actually gives a little menu-thingy.

As much as I'm hoping this problem will also solve itself by magic, I'm not holding my breath, so any help is appreciated.

EDIT: after making this update I found viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4075 . Downloaded the config attached there. It did not automatically recognise the device. Changed it to use that new config for unknown devices, but sadly still no subs for most files.
Attachments
ums_dbg.zip
(189.37 KiB) Downloaded 417 times
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

I see a couple of problems in the log so far. First of all, the failure to rename the old log file to .prev usually indicates that you have several instances of UMS running. The most common reason for this is if you have installed UMS as a service. If you have, please uninstall it as a service and restart the program.

If you are going to run UMS as a service, you will have to have finished all configuration first and then not start it as an application as long as the service is running. I'm planning to write some code that will make this impossible in the future, but for now it's a common cause for confusion. When you run several instances of UMS a lot of strange things will happen.
All the playbacks are there though, and I see the following line:

Code: Select all

TRACE 2015-11-17 16:06:29.934 [New I/O worker #8] net.pms.formats.FormatFactory Could not match any format to "G:\Films\Batman Begins (2005) [1080p]\Batman.Begins.2005.1080p.BluRay.x264.YIFY.srt"
I'm not sure what the cause is for this, but it's likely to have something to do with the missing subtitles. Again, if you are running UMS twice, all bets are off so I'd like to get that out of the world first.
Forget the above, I found the reason for this and it has nothing to do with the problem.

edit: If seems to have sent the subtitles to your renderer:

TRACE 2015-11-17 16:06:29.938 [New I/O worker #8] net.pms.dlna.DLNAResource Network debugger: sec:CaptionInfoEx: sec:type=srt http://192.168.2.9:5001/get/230/subtitle0000Batman.Begins.2005.1080p.BluRay.x264.YIFY.srt

TRACE 2015-11-17 16:07:16.030 [New I/O worker #8] net.pms.dlna.DLNAResource Network debugger: sec:CaptionInfoEx: sec:type=srt http://192.168.2.9:5001/get/1243/subtitle0000Ice.Age.2-The.Meltdown%5B2006%5DDvDrip.AC3%5BEng%5D-aXXo.srt

TRACE 2015-11-17 16:07:50.498 [New I/O worker #1] net.pms.dlna.DLNAResource Network debugger: sec:CaptionInfoEx: sec:type=srt http://192.168.2.9:5001/get/4050/subtitle0000Strictly+Ballroom+1992+BDRip+1080p+HighCode-+PublicHash.srt
I can see that the .mkv file also has embedded subtitle tracks, so I'm afraid those are the ones you could choose from and not the external .srt file. I don't know anything about the streaming of external subtitles, so someone else will have to step in there. From the log it seems that they are offered to the renderer at least.
TheDutchess

Post by TheDutchess »

From the config I found in viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4075 I changed the UserAgentSearch to = J5500 and the UpnpDetailsSearch to = J5500, so now it does recognize the device.
Sadly still no subs.
Tried removing the # from in front of #ChunkedTransfer = true and #SubtitleHttpHeader = CaptionInfo.sec (as those were also suggested as having an effect in that thread), but again without any success.

I'll change the title of the thread to reflect only the external sub issue, and hope someone with knowledge of those can help out.
Nadahar

Re: HT-J5500 won't show files with external subs

Post by Nadahar »

What about the two instances issue? Have you installed it as a service?

Remember to restart UMS when you make configuration changes in the renderer profiles.
TheDutchess

Re: HT-J5500 won't show files with external subs

Post by TheDutchess »

Nadahar wrote:What about the two instances issue? Have you installed it as a service?

Remember to restart UMS when you make configuration changes in the renderer profiles.
I think I probably just hit the restart too early, or clicked the close window instead of closing UMS. After so many hours I'm getting rather anxious to be done with it :). Could also be that I was trying to figure out how to save the zip file and trying to check where it had saved to etc, which resulted in saving it a few too many times.
If things persist through tomorrow a fresh restart of the computer should fix it for certain.
If I'm misunderstanding, then I guess I'm confused as to what 'running as a service' means and would need some more explanation. For now though I'll assume the issues I'm experiencing aren't caused by this.

EDIT: just noticed I had a button with 'install as a windows service' in the general configuration tab, so I guess it's safe to assume it's not currently installed 'as a windows service' if that's what you meant?
Nadahar

Re: HT-J5500 won't show external subs

Post by Nadahar »

It could very well be because of that. Running as a service is a Windows term, a service is a special kind of "program" in Windows that run without any user context and can be started as soon as the computer starts (before any user login). This makes it handy when you want to make sure it's running as soon as the computer is started without having to log in or do anything, but UMS have no GUI when run this way and confusion often arise because people don't understand how this works and starts UMS as a normal program in addition to running it as a service.

In the "General Configuration" tab there's a button "Install as a Windows Service" (or "Uninstall.." if it's already installed). If that button is clicked at one stage without knowing the consequences, the problem is there and that's the reason I'd like to make it impossible to start UMS as a normal program if it's already running as a service.

edit: Crosspost :D Yes, that's what I meant so then that's ok.
squadjot

Post by squadjot »

Is it a 2015 model?

I don't have HT-J500, but i have a 2015 model TV, and got subs working by adding/chaning this is my config

Have you tried;

UseClosedCaption = true
and

Supported = f:avi|mkv m:video/x-matroska
Not sure it will work for you, but worth a try?
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3874
TheDutchess

Post by TheDutchess »

Before I forget, thanks for the help so far, Nadahar.

squadjot wrote:Is it a 2015 model?

I don't have HT-J500, but i have a 2015 model TV, and got subs working by adding/chaning this is my config
Have you tried;

UseClosedCaption = true
and

Supported = f:avi|mkv m:video/x-matroska
Not sure it will work for you, but worth a try?
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3874
Aye it's a 2015 model, but I'm afraid the lines you mentioned are already in the config I added (see above) and it's still not working.