HT-J5500 won't show external subs

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
Nadahar

Re: HT-J5500 won't show external subs

Post by Nadahar »

TheDutchess wrote:Before I forget, thanks for the help so far, Nadahar.
I'm not sure if I've actually helped this far :?

I have no renderer to test this on, and I'm not very familiar with this part of the code, so I'm afraid I don't have much to add here. From what I can see from the log it does seem like UMS offers the subs to the renderer in the "Samsung" way but that the HT-J500 doesn't pick them up. I can't see any related errors on the UMS side. It's hard to guess what makes the renderer decide if the subtitle is "valid" or not. I noticed that none of the subtitle files were UTF-8 - maybe the renderer doesn't like this? Or maybe Samsung doesn't follow it's own standard for this renderer? In any case, I don't know how to get any further without having a HT-J500 to play with.

You could open the files with e.g Notepad++ and try to convert them to UTF-8 with or without BOM and see if that helps, but I'd say it's a long shot.
squadjot

Post by squadjot »

Not sure what would be the differnce, but have your tried to downlad and force this config: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4075
TheDutchess

Post by TheDutchess »

squadjot wrote:Not sure what would be the differnce, but have your tried to downlad and force this config: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4075
Aye, as I noted in 2 previous posts, I've got that config. Even tried fiddling around with it a bit, which means I managed to get it to recognize the device, but no luck with the subs yet.
TheDutchess wrote:EDIT: after making this update I found viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4075 . Downloaded the config attached there. It did not automatically recognise the device. Changed it to use that new config for unknown devices, but sadly still no subs for most files.
TheDutchess wrote:From the config I found in viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4075 I changed the UserAgentSearch to = J5500 and the UpnpDetailsSearch to = J5500, so now it does recognize the device.
Sadly still no subs.
Tried removing the # from in front of #ChunkedTransfer = true and #SubtitleHttpHeader = CaptionInfo.sec (as those were also suggested as having an effect in that thread), but again without any success.
TheDutchess

Post by TheDutchess »

Nadahar wrote:
TheDutchess wrote:Before I forget, thanks for the help so far, Nadahar.
I'm not sure if I've actually helped this far :?

I have no renderer to test this on, and I'm not very familiar with this part of the code, so I'm afraid I don't have much to add here. From what I can see from the log it does seem like UMS offers the subs to the renderer in the "Samsung" way but that the HT-J500 doesn't pick them up. I can't see any related errors on the UMS side. It's hard to guess what makes the renderer decide if the subtitle is "valid" or not. I noticed that none of the subtitle files were UTF-8 - maybe the renderer doesn't like this? Or maybe Samsung doesn't follow it's own standard for this renderer? In any case, I don't know how to get any further without having a HT-J500 to play with.

You could open the files with e.g Notepad++ and try to convert them to UTF-8 with or without BOM and see if that helps, but I'd say it's a long shot.
It always helps to understand a program better, and it's always nice when someone tries to think along with you trying to fix a problem.
I'll give the UTF-8 a shot tomorrow (really really need some sleep now), though I don't have high hopes.
Will also try different configurations of the ChunkedTransfer, SubtitleHttpHeader and CharMap tomorrow (turning them on and off one by one) to see if a certain configuration might actually work.

If anyone has a good idea before then, I'm anxious to hear it. If not I'll update here on how things turn out.
TheDutchess

Post by TheDutchess »

Another update:
*tried every single combination of on/off for the ChunkedTransfer, Subtitleheader, Charmap and UseClosedCaption, no luck.
*tried changing the subtitle file to UTF-8, UTF-8 without BOM, even tried changing the extension from .srt to .txt, nothing.
*tried changing the bottom margin for subtitles from 10 to 30 and to 0 (thinking heck, maybe they're falling off), no luck.
*tried forcing external subs, nothing.

The weird thing is that the subs are seemingly being recognized and sent by UMS, but the HT-J5500 isn't playing them.

Am I going to have to try and merge the subs into the files by hand (one by one for so many videos is not a prospect I'm thrilled by) and hope that works or does anyone still have an idea of what I could do?
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

You could transcode them so that UMS renders the subtitles in, but then there are the normal trascoding issues with missing fast forward etc.
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

From what I can understand, the "special Samsung subtitle treatment" is deducted from Samsungs own DLNA server. What you could try is to install this software and see if subtitles work there.

This software probably lacks a lot, but determining if subtitles work there could help determine if the HT-J5500 supports Samsungs own "special subtitle treatment" that UMS is trying to emulate. If it's working there and you're interested in figuring this out, you could do a wireshark capture with both that DLNA server and UMS, and I could look at the capture files and try to figure out what is different.
TheDutchess

Post by TheDutchess »

Nadahar wrote:You could transcode them so that UMS renders the subtitles in, but then there are the normal trascoding issues with missing fast forward etc.
I may be able to live without fast forward... so how would I transcode it so UMS renders the subs in?

Will try Samsung's own DLNA server at a later time, when I'm not completely fed up with things (the amount of hours spent on this so far is somewhat frustrating, especially for something that worked just fine with our previous (also Samsung) sound system).
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

TheDutchess wrote:
Nadahar wrote:You could transcode them so that UMS renders the subtitles in, but then there are the normal trascoding issues with missing fast forward etc.
I may be able to live without fast forward... so how would I transcode it so UMS renders the subs in?
This is the default behavior for most renderers. Removing the format in question (SubRip?) from

Code: Select all

SupportedExternalSubtitlesFormats
in the renderer configuration should do it. The easiest way to find the renderer configuration file is by clicking on the renderer on the "Status" tab, and then clicking on the <renderername>.conf in the top of the new window, or simply hover your mouse over it to get the location. You might need administrator privileges to edit that file depending on your system setup. Remember to restart UMS after editing the profile for it to be re-read. I don't know if the

Code: Select all

UseClosedCaption
parameter will matter when the format is removed, but to be safe you might remove the value you put there as well.
TheDutchess

Post by TheDutchess »

As soon as I remove SubRip from the SupportedExternalSubtitlesFormats, the name of the file displayed changes (extension on the HT-J5500 goes from StreamingSub to External Sub) and the file simply stops playing after a few seconds.
Tried changing the UseClosedCaption on/off, but that had no effect.
So sadly, this doesn't work either, as the file won't play with the config that way.