Need help troubleshooting problems between UMS and my PS4?

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
Octomyde

Need help troubleshooting problems between UMS and my PS4?

Post by Octomyde »

Hi!

I'd like to stream videos from my PC (office) to my PS4 in the living room.

I've been trying all day. Music works just fine. No problem at all... But videos won't work! At first I thought the file format was the problem... I copied a test video on a USB key and it worked perfectly in the PS4. But when I try to play the SAME file over the network, it says the file cannot be read!

I don't understand. Why would music work but not videos?

Please help, this is driving me crazy :P
Attachments
ums_dbg.zip
(64.42 KiB) Downloaded 422 times
Octomyde

Re: Need help troubleshooting problems between UMS and my PS4?

Post by Octomyde »

Still not working, but I think I made some progress.

I have a MKV that plays (its the only file that even works over wifi... :( ). I tried many different files / formats but this is the only one that plays right now.

When I start the playback, it takes a long time (~2 min 30 sec) before it even starts. In the log it shows UMS sending data but theres nothing on the TV screen. Then after that, theres something going on in the log (not sure), like UMS is changing format or something... then it starts on the PS4. However it is VERY choppy. As I am typing this its been 5 minutes to have ~10 seconds of video.
Attachments
ums_dbg2.zip
(59.28 KiB) Downloaded 405 times
Octomyde

Post by Octomyde »

Tried to bring the PS4 next to my computer and use a wired connection. Interesting things happened.

The test video still takes a while (~2 or 3 minutes) to launch (as if UMS was searching for the right format, or something) , and then stutters badly. It seems we can rule out wifi / networks problem ?

Pausing the video for a bit fixed the stuttering temporarily (Pause for 5 seconds, get 5 seconds of smooth playing). I think the problem is the transcoding! Its like it cant transcode fast enough for the video to play smoothly. However in the task manager, the CPU cpu utilization was very low (0-10%, with only a few spikes to 20%) !!

I also did a few tests with other videos. I found a video that required no transcoding and worked well. YES! Over wifi, however, says the file cannot be read. The video wont even start.

What the hell is going on?
Wolfgan

Post by Wolfgan »

If you're over wifi that may be the issue. Just for testing, why don't you move the PS4 close to the PC/router and connect it via cable?
-- UMS serving PS3, WDTV, Samsung H6400 + J5500 and Kalemsoft renderers! (no video transcoding but remuxing accepted :D )
Octomyde

Post by Octomyde »

Wolfgan wrote:If you're over wifi that may be the issue. Just for testing, why don't you move the PS4 close to the PC/router and connect it via cable?
Thanks. I did try that. See post #3. It still runs super slow / choppy.
Oxhorn

Post by Oxhorn »

Is it possible that the codec of your video file is not compatible? If so, you need to use some 3rd conversion program to transcode it to MP4 (H264/AAC). Then try it again. Hope it works.
Last edited by Oxhorn on Thu May 25, 2017 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Octomyde

Post by Octomyde »

Oxhorn wrote:Is it possible that the codec of your video file is not compatible? If so, you need to use some 3rd free conversion software to transcode it to MP4 (H264/AAC). Then try it again. Hope it works.
I used handbrake to make my first "test" video. That video played fine on USB (so i guess the codecs were OK) but not over wifi.
Octomyde

Post by Octomyde »

Could it be some setting with my router / windows ? I'm about to give up here. Thinking about buying an external HDD and just transfer files to it :cry:
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

I think there's multiple issues going on here. First of all, the 2:30 wait before starting playback sounds like a file with internal subtitles attempted transcoded with FFmpeg. FFmpeg will take a very long time before starting to transcode such files (it seems to extract the subtitles from the file first). The option "Defer to Mencoder for problematic subtitles" should be enabled to avoid this problem.

I also see that you use the latest Java version in the second debug file, but there's trouble we haven't been able to figure out with any version after 1.8.0_60. You should downgrade to 1.8.0_60 for now. I also see that you're running 32 bit Java on a 64 bit Windows. I don't know if it causes any trouble, but it's an unusual configuration and I'd try the 64 bit version of 1.8.0_60.

That a file will play from USB doesn't mean it will play over DLNA. There's probably different software in the PS4 doing the playback (I don't have a PS4, but there are files the PS3 will play locally but not over DLNA).

The stuttering is strange though, it seems like it can't deliver fast enough yes. Since the CPU isn't working hard, it could be something else. What about the transfer speed from the media? Is the playback from a local harddrive, and is that harddrive working properly/performing normally?

When a file is streamed UMS doesn't process the file at all, but simply forwards it to the renderer. When streaming doesn't work over Wifi there has to be some performance problems with your Wifi, assuming you use 802.11n (54 mbps) or faster Wifi and the file doesn't have a very high bitrate. If the bitrate is too high, Wifi simply cannot deliver. In any case, problems with streaming very likely is found outside UMS.