[Solved] Disconnects while playing

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
jamesws70

[Solved] Disconnects while playing

Post by jamesws70 »

Hi all, I'm looking for some assistance in troubleshooting why my TV appears to disconnect regularly from the media server when playing videos.

I'm using a Samsung UN55ES6100 on a wired connection. I seem to be able to play about 15 min sometimes a little more of a show and I get a pop up saying media server disconnected.

I've looked at the logs on the UMS server (posted below) and just see a disconnect.

Afterwards, the TV can no longer see the UMS in the source menu, however it is still pingable from other network devices and things like Netflix work without a problem.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

EDIT:

I would also like to add that I've run a continuous ping from my UMS machine and there are no ping interruptions when I get the disconnect error and ping results are only 1-2ms, so its not dropping off the network or experiencing any lag.

Thanks,
James
Attachments
ums_dbg.zip
(50.44 KiB) Downloaded 437 times
Nadahar

Re: Disconnects while playing

Post by Nadahar »

I see something fishy, but I'm not sure if it's the cause of the problems. At the start of the playback the renderer is recognized as "Samsung E+ Series", but after a while this happens:

Code: Select all

DEBUG 2015-12-12 10:48:21.158 [cling-19] net.pms.network.UPNPHelper Switching to preferred renderer: Samsung C/D Series
At times it is also known as "[TV]UN55ES6100". From what I can understand, this is all the same device (a Samsung TV). The playback goes like this:

Code: Select all

INFO  2015-12-12 10:35:22.832 [StartPlaying Event] net.pms.dlna.DLNAResource Started playing The.Flash.2014.S02E09.720p.HDTV.X264-DIMENSION.mkv on your Samsung E+ Series
DEBUG 2015-12-12 10:48:21.158 [cling-19] net.pms.network.UPNPHelper Switching to preferred renderer: Samsung C/D Series
INFO  2015-12-12 10:53:39.090 [StopPlaying Event] net.pms.dlna.DLNAResource Stopped playing The.Flash.2014.S02E09.720p.HDTV.X264-DIMENSION.mkv on your [TV]UN55ES6100
It seems like UMS is switching the renderer profile 5 minutes before playback stops. I've never seen that happen before and don't know if that can cause issues. Neither am I sure if "[TV]UN55ES6100" and "Samsung C/D Series" is one and the same, or if we're talking three different renderer profiles in use.

It could be that the original renderer profile (E+) behaves correctly, but after the switch UMS starts behaving in a way that the renderer doesn't like which eventually results in the TV "banning" UMS as non-conforming. I'm just guessing here, but I'd like to call the attention of others that understand this logic better to this issue.
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

Could you try to disable the "Samsung C/D Series" to avoid the profile switch and see if that helps? I don't mean it's a permanent fix, but it would help diagnose the problem by showing if the profile switch is causing the problem.

To disable it, go to the "General Configuration" tab, click "Select Renderers", browse to "Samsung" and then deselect "C/D Series". Restart UMS.

I've created an issue about the case, and we'd appreciate if you would report back if disabling the "Samsung C/D Series" renderer profile fixes the disconnects.
jamesws70

Post by jamesws70 »

I re-did the "test" after removing the C/D renderer and restarting UMS. I managed to get thru a 45m episode and when I started another it bombed out within 3-4m tops.

Attached is the logs from the last drop.
Attachments
ums_dbg2.zip
(98.7 KiB) Downloaded 428 times
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

Was this a first for watching a whole episode? I'm just trying to figure out if the misidentified renderer is at all related to the problem.
jamesws70

Post by jamesws70 »

This was the first time in a while (months) being able to actually watch anything in its entirety yes. I was previously able to watch tv shows and movies in their entirety but not for a few months at least.
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

It might be helpful if you could install older versions and find out when the bug first appeared, so we can look at what changed
jamesws70

Post by jamesws70 »

Silly question, where can I get older versions :) I'm happy to go back a few versions and test it as my kids let me have my own TV :)
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

You can find them all here. Have you tried playing the same file that worked again to see if that file work consistantly now? It could be multiple issues, and that disabling that renderer profile solved one of them...
jamesws70

Post by jamesws70 »

I will try to get an older version installed shortly to test it out, just swamped with work.

Will also try to re-watch the episode that went thru completely and see how that goes.

I will keep you posted, thanks.