Is there a way to ONLY transcode Hi10p and h265 files?

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
Dvvarf

Re: Is there a way to ONLY transcode Hi10p and h265 files?

Post by Dvvarf »

There are also 4:2:2 and 4:4:4 H264 profiles out there. It would be more viable to add a specific parameter to the "supported" line, solving the problem for all kind of profiles and levels once and for all. Something like "p:hi10p@5", identifying maximum level supported for corresponding profiles.

Otherwise, there should be at least 4 options then:
Already existing one:

Code: Select all

H264Level41Limited = true/false
And some new:

Code: Select all

Hi10p_Support = true/false
Hi422p_Support = true/false
Hi444p_Support = true/false
P.S. Registered just to contribute to this topic. While I'm at it, I'd like to thank all the developers of UMS for making our lives better.
Vallimar

Re: Is there a way to ONLY transcode Hi10p and h265 files?

Post by Vallimar »

I just wanted to chime in to say that all or nothing options aren't really going to work.
Most things that support h265 will support 10bit h265 encodes in hardware. Anything that
supports 4K will almost definitely have it. Anything claiming HDR support should be able
to handle 4:2:2 and 4:4:4 chroma. I don't know if anyone supports it, but h265 also specifies
12 and 16 bit color depths in later revisions.

Almost nothing in existence supports h264 10bit in hardware. So it would really be nice
to have a flag to transcode 10bit h264 but allow direct streaming of 8bit h264. This is
really the most widely needed option.