Xbox One not recognizing UMS anymore

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
Bebeness

Xbox One not recognizing UMS anymore

Post by Bebeness »

This is sad and frustrating and I've been trying to fix it for days so I hope someone can help (I'm not tech-savvy).

I think the problems started when I upgraded to Windows 10, but I'm not sure. I hadn't used UMS for a while in between. So I'm using Windows 10, and UMS detects the Xbox One as a media renderer, but when I get on Xbox -- UMS isn't there. My Xbox is up-to-date as of January 9th, 5:09AM.

I've tried updating Java/downloading old Java. Reinstalling UMS/a Java 7 version of UMS. Neither of those things helped. I've also been looking at alternatives to UMS, specifically streaming straight from Windows Media Player, but that isn't working either -- and me and UMS had a good thing for a while and I want it back.

Let me know if there's any other info that would help -- I would absolutely love anyone who helps me with this.

-Bebe
bryantjopplin

Re: Xbox One not recognizing UMS anymore

Post by bryantjopplin »

Bebeness wrote:This is sad and frustrating and I've been trying to fix it for days so I hope someone can help (I'm not tech-savvy).

I think the problems started when I upgraded to Windows 10, but I'm not sure. I hadn't used UMS for a while in between. So I'm using Windows 10, and UMS detects the Xbox One as a media renderer, but when I get on Xbox -- UMS isn't there. My Xbox is up-to-date as of January 9th, 5:09AM.

I've tried updating Java/downloading old Java. Reinstalling UMS/a Java 7 version of UMS. Neither of those things helped. I've also been looking at alternatives to UMS, specifically streaming straight from Windows Media Player, but that isn't working either -- and me and UMS had a good thing for a while and I want it back.

Let me know if there's any other info that would help -- I would absolutely love anyone who helps me with this.

-Bebe

Try using revo uninstaller portable and put the newest 5.5.0 after you fully uninstall it. Then restart xbone and verify that the upnp option is on if available. Not sure if my xbone has it but my ps4 does.
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

Try to disable your firewall, and if that doesn't help your anti-virus as well.
25233Guyver

Post by 25233Guyver »

Disabling the firewall seemed to work for me, but is there another way to resolve this? I've tried cycling the firewall to allow XBone to pick it up, but while the firewall is up, I cannot access anything in UMS via the XBOne.
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

25233Guyver wrote:Disabling the firewall seemed to work for me, but is there another way to resolve this? I've tried cycling the firewall to allow XBone to pick it up, but while the firewall is up, I cannot access anything in UMS via the XBOne.
You can create rules in your firewall allowing your XBox (and any other device you want to use with UMS) access to Javaw.exe on all TCP and UDP ports. In 99% of cases running a firewall on the local computer isn't needed though, as almost everybody has a router between themselves and the internet acting as a firewall.
25233Guyver

Post by 25233Guyver »

True, but there are quite a few routers that have vulnerabilities and while I'm fairly certain that mine is currently without fault, the rest of the house don't agree.