Movie freezes randomly on my TV (Philips|46PFL6606H/12) [SOLVED]

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
Nadahar

Re: Movie freezes randomly on my TV (Philips|46PFL6606H/12)

Post by Nadahar »

I don't know what to make of that log, I think someone with more experience with transcoding issues need to look at it. I do however see that you have a brid.srt subtitles file that might be causing trouble. You could try moving that file to somewhere else and see if playback still freezes without it. Not that it would solve it, but it could help narrow down the problem.
alargos

Post by alargos »

Nadahar wrote:I don't know what to make of that log, I think someone with more experience with transcoding issues need to look at it. I do however see that you have a brid.srt subtitles file that might be causing trouble. You could try moving that file to somewhere else and see if playback still freezes without it. Not that it would solve it, but it could help narrow down the problem.
then how i'll be able to watch the movie i''l need translation? what is the problem actually? ok you can urge to some of your friends to check up this problem...
Anyway thanks for your help
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

If you are interesting in figuring out the problem you can TRY to play it without subtitles and see if it still freezes. You don't have to watch it, or you can fast forward. The point is that it would help to know if the subtitles are relevant to the problem.

If you're not interesting in doing anything to figure out the problem, I'd suggest that you use a paid product and use paid support where people don't try to help for free on their spare time.
alargos

Post by alargos »

Nadahar wrote:If you are interesting in figuring out the problem you can TRY to play it without subtitles and see if it still freezes. You don't have to watch it, or you can fast forward. The point is that it would help to know if the subtitles are relevant to the problem.

If you're not interesting in doing anything to figure out the problem, I'd suggest that you use a paid product and use paid support where people don't try to help for free on their spare time.
Ok i'll try that option... and i'll report you again with debug files..
Tell me how is possible when i put some movie in my usb stick and i want to play it on my tv .. sometimes it isn't playable even if it's playable on my PC even if its .mp4.. ? but when i try to stream it through a program like UMS it's actually playable.. can this be some sort of problem again ? This could be another possible reason for the unexpected "stop" of the movie or not really? :roll: :?: :ugeek:

Well who wanna help will help, this is a support forum its about your reputation and your application.. if you wanna lose the patients then you are free to go. and don't offer so called "support" and don't offer the program to play "movies" where actually can't stream them well. (not on my tv) .. it has the name UNIVERSAL so it must be universal for every kind of device... if not, i suggest to change the name. :twisted:
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

UMS tries to be universal (that is support as many renderers as possible), but there are several problems. First, we are only a few developers and there's a lot of renderers. We can't possibly buy all of them to properly test them all and figure out what UMS must do to accomodate bugs and quirks for that particular renderer. Because of this, we're depending on users being willing to help diagnose problems. Second, not all renderer bugs can be compensated for by UMS. Third, there is not enough time for us to fix everything we would like.

This could also be a bug in UMS, there's no way to know up front if UMS or the renderer is to blame. For the rest of your last comment, is this the first time your on an open source (or even commercial) support forum? I suggest you go "shop around a little" before you judge. Nobody is forcing you to use UMS if you find the support intolerable.

About playing the file directly from USB stick vs PC vs UMS isn't the same thing. When you play from USB, everything is up to the TV. On the PC you can install codecs and software to interpret different formats, which makes the support almost unlimited - on the TV you're stuck with whatever capabilities the maker decided to let you have. UMS analyses each file and try to figure out if the file is playable withing the limitation of that particular renderer (TV in your case). If the file is not playable by the rules we have made for that renderer, UMS will transcode the file on-the-fly into a format that is supported by the device.
alargos

Post by alargos »

Nadahar wrote:UMS tries to be universal (that is support as many renderers as possible), but there are several problems. First, we are only a few developers and there's a lot of renderers. We can't possibly buy all of them to properly test them all and figure out what UMS must do to accomodate bugs and quirks for that particular renderer. Because of this, we're depending on users being willing to help diagnose problems. Second, not all renderer bugs can be compensated for by UMS. Third, there is not enough time for us to fix everything we would like.

This could also be a bug in UMS, there's no way to know up front if UMS or the renderer is to blame. For the rest of your last comment, is this the first time your on an open source (or even commercial) support forum? I suggest you go "shop around a little" before you judge. Nobody is forcing you to use UMS if you find the support intolerable.

About playing the file directly from USB stick vs PC vs UMS isn't the same thing. When you play from USB, everything is up to the TV. On the PC you can install codecs and software to interpret different formats, which makes the support almost unlimited - on the TV you're stuck with whatever capabilities the maker decided to let you have. UMS analyses each file and try to figure out if the file is playable withing the limitation of that particular renderer (TV in your case). If the file is not playable by the rules we have made for that renderer, UMS will transcode the file on-the-fly into a format that is supported by the device.
Chill out man , i appriciate your help.. i know cuz some tv sucks..there is always new ones and always more better... the thing is i try to figure about the problem now :cry: :P
Uppie

Post by Uppie »

Hi Alargos,

I have a Philips TV myself and some things in your log stand out. First the bandwidth is 21mb. This should be around 70-80 mb (theoretically 100mb according to TV specs), this might indicate a problem in your network. Then there are the lines about "An established connection was aborted by the software in your host machine" which looks like your TV is quitting for some reason which could be connected to the fact that you force MP4's to stream. Other lines indicate that there might be some corruption in the file itself (like suggested earlier).

You should start analyzing from the beginning: check your network, make a clean install of UMS, find yourself a good mediafile (leave out the subtitles for now) and start from there.

Another tip: don't use bold fonts, look like you are shouting at people ;)

Good luck!
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

The log is full of

Code: Select all

DEBUG 2016-01-20 00:51:57.468 [New I/O worker #1] Connection error: java.io.IOException: An established connection was aborted by the software in your host machine
This could mean that the renderer aborts the connection or it could mean a firewall/anti virus software interfering with the connetion or it could mean an unstable network connection. It's not the message we usually see when the renderer disconnects, so I would turn off firewalls/anti virus software to test, and if that doesn't help look at your network.
alargos

Post by alargos »

Uppie wrote:Hi Alargos,

I have a Philips TV myself and some things in your log stand out. First the bandwidth is 21mb. This should be around 70-80 mb (theoretically 100mb according to TV specs), this might indicate a problem in your network. Then there are the lines about "An established connection was aborted by the software in your host machine" which looks like your TV is quitting for some reason which could be connected to the fact that you force MP4's to stream. Other lines indicate that there might be some corruption in the file itself (like suggested earlier).

You should start analyzing from the beginning: check your network, make a clean install of UMS, find yourself a good mediafile (leave out the subtitles for now) and start from there.

Another tip: don't use bold fonts, look like you are shouting at people ;)

Good luck!
Well thanks i noticed that too... now the connection is stable ... thanks to the net ... and i checked the "Use automatic maximum bandwith" in the Genral Configuration tab so anything is fine now
Nadahar wrote:The log is full of

Code: Select all

DEBUG 2016-01-20 00:51:57.468 [New I/O worker #1] Connection error: java.io.IOException: An established connection was aborted by the software in your host machine
This could mean that the renderer aborts the connection or it could mean a firewall/anti virus software interfering with the connetion or it could mean an unstable network connection. It's not the message we usually see when the renderer disconnects, so I would turn off firewalls/anti virus software to test, and if that doesn't help look at your network.
I thought it was the movie... you know bad rendering of it as mp4 or mkv...
But for now it's ok!!!
Thanks for support (: :mrgreen: :o