Samsung Transcoding mpeg mkv

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
labi

Samsung Transcoding mpeg mkv

Post by labi »

Since around UMS 5.1 I have noticed that I am getting odd results from some of my mkv files to my Samsung TV (UN60D6420)

I had some mkv movies saying they were 9999 hours and wouldn't actually fast forward. I had some say they were 4 secs and I couldn't fast forward. Both were of course 2 hour movies.

With the latest release (5.5.0), I notice that this problem is related to mpeg mkv files and saying every one of them is 1192 hours. Files marked as avi mkv files work flawlessly. Seems to be just mpeg mkvs.

The other thing is that they are lower quality, which I assume means that UMS is transcoding them for some reason. I tried adding mkv,avi,mpeg,mpg to skip transcoding, but it doesn't make a difference.

I tried changing samsung-cd.conf by setting mediainfo to false, but then my samsung tv coudlnt find any files.

After switching mediainfo back to true, I tried changing the supported types to:
Supported = f:mpegps|mpegts m:video/mpeg
Supported = f:avi|divx m:video/x-divx
Supported = f:mp4 m:video/mp4
Supported = f:wmv m:video/x-ms-wmv
Supported = f:mkv m:video/x-matroska
Supported = f:avi m:video/avi
Supported = f:mov m:video/quicktime
Supported = f:flv m:video/x-flv

but this didn't help.

Does anyone know how to disable transcoding for mpeg mkvs? or know why Samsung TVs stopped working properly?

Any help is appreciated!

Edit: attached debug listing.. lots of ffmpeg64.exe-3-2 errors near the end it appears.
ums_dbg.zip
debug
(111.89 KiB) Downloaded 519 times
labi

Re: Samsung Transcoding mpeg mkv

Post by labi »

anyone have any ideas?
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

The inability to ff or reverse and the incorrect length are typical for transcoding. I assume the loss of quality is due to the same.

I don't know exactly which file you're referring to, but this is one cause for transcoding:

Code: Select all

DEBUG 2016-01-26 18:53:14.481 [New I/O worker #8] Reading MaxVideoBitrateMbps: "25" (default: "0")
TRACE 2016-01-26 18:53:14.481 [New I/O worker #8] File "2 Fast 2 Furious.mkv" will not be streamed because the bitrate is too high.
TRACE 2016-01-26 18:53:14.497 [New I/O worker #8] File "The Crow.mkv" will not be streamed because the bitrate is too high.
TRACE 2016-01-26 18:53:14.497 [New I/O worker #8] File "Dark Knight.mkv" will not be streamed because the bitrate is too high.
TRACE 2016-01-26 18:53:14.512 [New I/O worker #8] File "Dredd 3D.mkv" will not be streamed because the bitrate is too high.
You have restricted max bitrate to 25 mbps, which forces transcoding for some videos although the majority seems to be streamed.
labi

Post by labi »

I changed samsung-cd.conf from 25 to 0 and it made no difference for those videos (dark knight.mkv is what i've been testing). I also tried changing it to 100, still no difference.

Changing the .conf file doesn't seem to help and telling UMS to not transcode .mkv .mpeg .mpg. avi obviously makes no difference either.

Any other thoughts on what I can do?
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

Did the log file still say the same after you changed it, or was there a new error? It might be easiest if you post new debug files.

You should quit UMS before editing the file and then start it again after it's saved. Then generate new debug files so we can see what's the next problem. The question is why this limit has been set in the renderer config file, if there's a genuine reason for that or if it's a mistake.
labi

Post by labi »

I changed samsung-cd.conf to 0 and saved the trace debug logs.. see attached
Attachments
zero.zip
(97.47 KiB) Downloaded 475 times
labi

Post by labi »

Then I changed samsung-cd.conf to 100 and saved the trace debug logs
Attachments
100.zip
(118.14 KiB) Downloaded 487 times
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

Still the same... bitrate too high. I see that

Code: Select all

maximum_bitrate =75
in your UMS.conf. Try to set that to 0 and start UMS.
labi

Post by labi »

I set maximum_bitrate = 0.. still no change.. see log
Attachments
zero maximum bitrate.zip
(127.05 KiB) Downloaded 490 times
labi

Post by labi »

I appreciate the help so far, just haven't had any luck. Any more thoughts/ideas?