Need help when using multiple routers on same network

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
saarp

Need help when using multiple routers on same network

Post by saarp »

Hello.
I recently bought a new Xiaomi Mini router.
My network connection is cable modem/router, called "FiberBox" in Israel (it's a Saegem device).
This fiberbox is also a media center (renderer).
My infrastructure is as followed:

1. Cable line
2. Fiberbox (functions as router, DHCP, media center) on IP 192.168.1.1/255.255.255.0
2.1 Network printer (connected to fiberbox) on 192.168.1.20/255.255.255.0
2.2 Xiaomi Router on LAN IP 192.168.31.1/255.255.255.0 static and also WAN IP 192.168.1.12/255.255.255.0 assigned by Fiberbox (functions as Wifi router + USB Storage server + DHCP)
2.2.1 Laptop computer connected to Wifi on IP 192.168.31.163/255.255.255.0 (assigned by DHCP of Xiaomi)

the laptop (2.2.1) is running UMS.
I can access both http://192.168.1.1 , http://192.168.1.12 and also http://192.168.31.1 from the computer.
I can also access the printer (2.1) from the laptop (2.2.1) as printer and as scanner.

The only problem I experience is that the Fiberbox (renderer) doesn't detect the UMS.

If I set the Xiaomi (2.2) as a repeater, then my laptop gets IP From the Fiberbox (192.168.1.16/255.255.255.0) and then the fiberbox detects the UMS and everything works.

But I prefer to use the Xiaomi as a router and not as a repeater, and still want to be able to use the UMS with the Fiberbox.

Please advise what else can I do.

Thank you
Madoka

Re: Need help when using multiple routers on same network

Post by Madoka »

As I understand it, and I'm not as knowledgeable as the other people on this forum, but your current set-up has your computer and your fiberbox on different network addresses, 192.168.31.x vs 192.168.1.x. It works with Xaiomi as a repeater as they are then both on the same network, 192.168.1.x. Your computer gets the .31. address from the DHCP from the Xaiomi when it is a router. I don't know if this will work, but have you tried giving your laptop a static 192.168.1.x address?
saarp

Post by saarp »

Yes, I tried to give static IP to my computer, but it doesn't connect to the network - looks like the Xiaomi doesn't allow it.
Another weird thing - on my Android phone, I have an app called "Hot Remote" which is a Remote-On-LAN from the cable provider.
My phone gets IP in the Xiaomi range (31.x) and the remote works (which means that it "sees" the Fiberbox).
Arrrrgggggghhhh!!!
it's driving me crazy.
Wolfgan

Post by Wolfgan »

Chain the 2nd router to avoid segmenting the network. Don't use the WAN port of the Xiaomi router, use the LAN port and disable DHCP on this one (http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id- ... -wifi.html).
-- UMS serving PS3, WDTV, Samsung H6400 + J5500 and Kalemsoft renderers! (no video transcoding but remuxing accepted :D )
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

The problem is within the UPnP standard that DLNA is build on. It relies on multicast for discovery. Most routers doesn't forward multicast.

There's basicly two options:
  • The server and the renderers have to be on the same subnet (run your router bridged/as repeater/transparent) so that multicast packets will be forwarded.
  • Figure out how to get your router to route multicast (239.255.255.250 for IPv4). Further reading is available here.
This limitation is not with UMS but within the DLNA standard.
saarp

Post by saarp »

Wolfgan, I tried this but then the Xiaomi router claims there's no internet connection - it's probably not planned to work this way as a chained-wireless-hub :)

Nadahar,
Can you please elaborate on this?
I can set a static IP to my computer through the Xiaomi DHCP, and then set port forwarding. The question is will it work, and which ports should I forward?

Thank you
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

saarp wrote: Nadahar,
Can you please elaborate on this?
I can set a static IP to my computer through the Xiaomi DHCP, and then set port forwarding. The question is will it work, and which ports should I forward?

Thank you
Read the link I gave you, or read about multicast in general. Port forwarding doesn't cut it, it's still unicast. You have to make sure that multicast traffic for the UPnP address flows both ways across the router. I'm guessing that only advanced routers can even do this. The only easy route is to make sure the server and the renderers are on the same subnet.
saarp

Post by saarp »

what do you mean by "same subnet" ?
same IP class (192.168.1.x) or same subnet (255.255.255.0) ?
as I said before, when I set the Xiaomi router as a network extender (repeater mode) it delegates the DHCP to the FiberBox and then everything works (except for some functions of the router).
I prefer to use the Xiaomi as a router and not the FiberBox, but if I won't find any other solution I will not have any other chance than setting it that way :(
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

saarp wrote:what do you mean by "same subnet" ?
same IP class (192.168.1.x) or same subnet (255.255.255.0) ?
as I said before, when I set the Xiaomi router as a network extender (repeater mode) it delegates the DHCP to the FiberBox and then everything works (except for some functions of the router).
I prefer to use the Xiaomi as a router and not the FiberBox, but if I won't find any other solution I will not have any other chance than setting it that way :(
Same subnet. A subnet is defined by the combination of the two. 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0 means 192.168.1.1-192.168.1.254 and that is the subnet. It won't help trying to assign the same subnet on both sides of the router either (nor will it work), since the problem is that the router doesn't route multicast traffic.

It seems that your knowledge of networking isn't sufficient to understand this, I can't explain multicast to you here - you have to read about it if you want to understand it. In case you don't want to do that, your only option is to not separate them by a router that doesn't allow multicast traffic through, by using the router in transparent/bridge/repeater/extender mode.

If you want to go down the path of routing multicast, be prepared for some reading to understand the concepts at hand. Also, I very much doubt your router can do this with it's default firmware, so you probably have to install OpenWrt on it to make it possible.
saarp

Post by saarp »

Thank you very much for this informative answer.
I do have some basic knowledge in networking, but not much more than that.
I think that the only easy option left is to set the router as an extender.
One of the reasons I bought this router (except for the price) is that I wanted an easy setup (it has a very friendly android app for setup), so I think I will go for this solution.
Thanks again. I was very fast and informative, and I will try to use UMS now and if I experience any issues, I will let you know.
If everything works ok, I will also consider a small donation :)
Good luck in this project.