streaming DSD? (.dsf)

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
xenomat

streaming DSD? (.dsf)

Post by xenomat »

Hello,

i'm trying to get my A/V-Receiver (Pioneer SC-LX79) to get to list/stream DSD-Files but so far have been unsuccessful. I've also read the thread here mentioning adding the dsd and dff (?, my files are dsf...) to the Streaming Extensions, which sadly doesn't seem to have any effect. Other formats (MP3, Flac etc.) are working as expected, by default the conf file for philips streamium is used.

Does anyone have a suggestion what else i can try? According to the receivers manual the DSD64 as well as DSD128 are supported over network, so it should work. The same DSD files play without issue from an USB stick, but over network the directories containing the files are shown as empty. I'm using 6.0 Java8 version.

Thanks for any suggestions,
xenomat
Nadahar

Re: streaming DSD? (.dsf)

Post by Nadahar »

DSD is currently not supported by UMS. I've made this pull request some time ago that addressed DSD and many other audio formats, but I've never had the time to test/complete it.
xenomat

Post by xenomat »

Thanks for your response! To be honest i don't entirely understand how it works (not a developer). I'm kind of thinking in terms of a network share... the receiver just needs access to the file, nothing really needs to happen on or be done by the server. Maybe i think to much as an Administrator.
How can support be added? I thought the format just kind of has to be "known" by UMS to provide access to the files to the client (by updating the .conf file) as decoding will be done by the receiver... but it seems i was mistaken. :oops:
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

It's not quite that simple, but it's not that complicated either. UMS uses the DLNA protocol that is different from a mere file share. UMS has to give some information about a file to the renderer, so it needs to recognize the format. UMS also needs to know how to handle the file if the renderer can't play the format - to transcode it into something the renderer do understand.

But, it is actually done in the the code I linked to. What's missing is testing and some issues with some other audio formats that's added in the same pull request.

I don't know when it will be merged into UMS master. There are some details that must be sorted out, and somebody has to do it. If you're really deseprate to get it now, you could make your own build of this branch with UMSBuilder. Information about this can be found on the forum.
Dave54321

Post by Dave54321 »

I have been streaming DSD for years now. I use the freeware Logitech Media Server streaming software with DSDPlayer (v.1.07) plugin enabled, which uses the DoP protocol. DoP (DSD over PCM) is just a simple method of fooling your streamer into thinking it is receiving and streaming 24/88.2 PCM data, but your DSD-capable DAC will see it as DSD.

In my case I use a Squeezebox Touch streamer, but I believe the LMS software should work with any streamer. Obviously you MUST have a DSD-capable DAC connected.

The software version I'm using is Logitech Media Server v.8.2.0, which is the latest update at the time of writing.

ALTERNATIVELY, I'm pretty sure that if you convert your DSD files (dsf or dff) to DoP FLACs (use Foobar) you will be able to stream these with any streaming software, as it will just see the files as PCM (again, you MUST have a DSD-capable DAC).