No connection between PS3 and Windows 10 PC

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
anacche

No connection between PS3 and Windows 10 PC

Post by anacche »

Hi, just set up a new desktop.

When I run UMS, it tells me no renderer was found. Likewise, telling my PS3 to search for media servers reveals 0 servers found.

Current network looks a little something like: Desktop <===> Buffalo Airstation <===> Huawei Fibre Optic Modem/router <===> PS3.

The Buffalo Airstation is set to bridge mode, and is at the opposite end of the house from the modem. One Cat6 cable running the length of the house is enough trouble.

PC LAN side IP is 192.168.100.4
PS3 LAN side IP is 192.168.100.8

PC is running windows 10. I have tried with Windows Firewall turned off completely, as well as all other security programs.

Edit: added debug logs
Edit2: Have attempted it without the Buffalo Airstation as well, no difference to result.
Attachments
ums_dbg.zip
(20.26 KiB) Downloaded 454 times
Last edited by anacche on Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
Nadahar

Re: No connection between PS3 and Windows 10 PC

Post by Nadahar »

Firewall or network problems are the usual suspects here, but since you've turned off Windows firewall, your router is in bridge mode and it still doesn't work I guess you'll have to post debug files as described in red above.
anacche

Post by anacche »

Sorry, edited to add the logs.
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

There is no sign of any communication with other devices in that log. Did you try to find UMS with the PS3 while this log was captured? If you did, there is definitly something wrong with your network.
anacche

Post by anacche »

For some reason that I have no idea, it now works. I didn't change anything other than going into logging mode, and then quitting and exiting again. Had definitely exited and reopened many times prior with no such luck.
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

That sounds very strange. Let's hope it stays working then.
anacche

Post by anacche »

Unfortunately it didn't last.

I have re-performed the trace-logging and attached the new logs.

This is without the Airstation involved. So PC <===> Modem (Huawei HG8245T) <===> PS3 directly.
Attachments
ums_dbg2.zip
(25.32 KiB) Downloaded 427 times
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

It briefly sees a device 192.168.100.2, but no proper communication is estabilished (192.168.100.2 doesn't seem to reply). I'd say there's a network problem. I don't quite know what the modem does in the mix, but are you just using it as a switch?

Modems are usually places outside the router (or both are in one box) and only converts the signal type from ethernet to e.g DSL or Cable or whatever. Being simply a converter to the internet they usually aren't considered part of the network. My guess is that you have a combined router/modem, which a built in switch. If that's the case, and the devices are connected to different ports on the switch, the only possibility for the router to be the problem is if the internal switch malfunctions somehow. It's pretty rare I'd say. Except for that it's the network cables. Those are actually quite sensitive to a lot of things, and people often underestimates this. They are sensitive to distrubance from magnetic fields (close to PSU's, speakers or AC cables). It's also important that they aren't damaged or have been bent very sharply. The reason they are so sensitive is that the signal is very high frequency and can easily be disturbed by "itself" (one pair disturbing one or more other pairs). The type of cable is also important, they have to be twised pair (flat cables doesn't work for network) and for 100 Mbps Cat 5 is the minimum. For 1 Gbps Cat 6 or if they are very short Cat 5E is the minimum.

You might know all of this, but it seems there's a limited amount of error sources here so I just have to make sure.

Most network traffic (like web traffic) is TCP. TCP has built in error correction which means that if a packet is "damaged" on the way it will be retransmitted. A bad quality link will therefore still work, even though it will be slower due to a lot of retransmits. Still the capacity is so much greater than most internet connections and resources that it probably won't be noticable. DLNA/UPnP discovery on the other hand use UDP. UDP packages are without error control and either gets there or they don't. There's no retransmit because the sender has no way to know if the package was recieved in the other end. UMS, using DLNA, relies on UDP for discovery while the transfer of media when the discovery is over is done via TCP.
anacche

Post by anacche »

Ok, I just tried it without the modem - so something like:

PC <===> Airstation Router <===> PS3

With the modem now connected in the modem port of Airstation as well.

Still no sign of it from either end.

All devices are able to use the internet quite fully as well, indicating that network traffic is functional.
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

As I said about network traffic, regular "internet traffic" (mail, http/web etc) is TCP and has built in error connection. I'm just out of ideas, it doesn't seem like a UMS bug as UMS simply doesn't get contacted. A firewall is an obvious reason for this, but this has already been covered. The only possibility left then is network problems.