Mkv playback stuttering/freezing after fast forward / rewind

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Re: Mkv playback stuttering/freezing after fast forward / re

Post by SubJunk »

Freich wrote:Did some more testing with different render profiles etc.
I underestimated the importance/relevance of those. Since I noticed very different behavior and compatibility with different profiles. (Doh!).

Used to use PS3 profile for my BDV-E190. Worked ok except forwarding etc. When I used Unknow renderer it presented me with some pure MKV movies straight away.
Those played perfectly, and I could fast forward and play without any troubles. Sounds logical because no transcoding is running on my pc.
Except now the dvd iso's aren't supported for playback.

I guess my sollution will be, creating an personal conf file for my renderer. That supports pure mkv and dvd iso playback.
No idea how yet ;)
I'll try to make you a renderer config :)
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

I will need a debug.log from you to make the renderer config :) Please run the program with your device turned off, then go to the Logs tab and down the bottom select Trace in the Log Level dropdown, then turn on your device. This will give me the information I need.
Freich

Post by Freich »

SubJunk wrote:I will need a debug.log from you to make the renderer config :) Please run the program with your device turned off, then go to the Logs tab and down the bottom select Trace in the Log Level dropdown, then turn on your device. This will give me the information I need.
Thanks for the offer :)
I'm busy with it myself though, it's not completed yet. Having bit of hard time writing the correct 'supported' rules. Specially for .mkv.
I figured out that Matrokska with version 4 / version 2 in mediainfo were recognized. But Matrokska's with only version 2 were still transcoded. Don't know were that problem lies.

Here is my config so far.
For the time being I just put this line in: StreamExtensions = mkv

So I can watch mkv's without problems. I only want to use supported lines though. But I was wondering if it isn't easier to just 'hard code' everything without supported lines.
Like you did with some configs. For example the WDTVLive.con:
TranscodeExtensions=flv
StreamExtensions=avi,xvid,divx,avc,mpg,mpeg,mkv,mp4,264,ts,tp,m2t,m2ts,wmv,mp3,wav,pcm,lpcm,wma,aac,flac,mka,aif,aiff,ogg,dts"

Don't know why sometimes mediainfo is used and sometimes not at all.
Attachments
BVE-190.conf
BDV-E190 config
(4.74 KiB) Downloaded 467 times
kuroukage

Post by kuroukage »

Are you following this guide to make a custom renderer?
黒影
_______________________________________________|_._._._._._._._._._
\______________________________________________|_#_#_#_#_#_#_|
------------------------------------------------------------------|---------------------
Freich

Post by Freich »

kuroukage wrote:Are you following this guide to make a custom renderer?
No not yet, only looked at it briefly. I mainly read the PS3 example config and tried to configure it to my own needs.
When I have time again I will continue with my profile and reading the guide :)
kuroukage

Post by kuroukage »

Freich wrote:No not yet, only looked at it briefly. I mainly read the PS3 example config and tried to configure it to my own needs.
That would probably be your best bet. Using that guide to customize it exactly for your TV.
黒影
------------------------------------------------------------------|---------------------
Freich

Post by Freich »

kuroukage wrote:
Freich wrote:No not yet, only looked at it briefly. I mainly read the PS3 example config and tried to configure it to my own needs.
That would probably be your best bet. Using that guide to customize it exactly for your TV.
Well I checked the guide but it was nothing I didn't know already by just reading the PS3.conf comment instructions.
I guess I have to experiment trial and error until I found the right supported lines for my player, keeping the device specs as an example.
Berzerk

Post by Berzerk »

These are bugs related to mencoder or java, you can't even use the PS3 square button to go to a different time position, or better said, you can, but expect the movie & sounds to go desync after a couple of minutes. All of a sudden the image starts to render at multiple times the normal speed while the sound keeps playing at the "normal" speed.
kuroukage

Post by kuroukage »

Berzerk wrote:These are bugs related to mencoder or java, you can't even use the PS3 square button to go to a different time position, or better said, you can, but expect the movie & sounds to go desync after a couple of minutes. All of a sudden the image starts to render at multiple times the normal speed while the sound keeps playing at the "normal" speed.
I can chapter skip just fine with Mencoder. Even subtitled .mkv files work fine. Are you using the latest version(s) of UMS and Java? Also, have you tried playing around with the bandwidth and general transcoding setup?
黒影
Berzerk

Post by Berzerk »

I did, the more i play with them, the more things break.
It doesn't even show *any* mp4 files anymore.

Seems like UMS is one of those disappointing programs where any lower version number means a better product.