Forcing UMS to use TsMuxer always

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
archy141

Forcing UMS to use TsMuxer always

Post by archy141 »

Even though I have moved TsMuxer to the top of the 'Video File Engine' list, some files still end up getting transcodes with Mencoder even though the PS3 can handle them with TsMuxer.
How can i force the UMS to always ONLY use TsMuxer unless i opt to manually transcode with Mencoder ?

Do i need to change the render settings as they are currently at default ?
kuroukage

Re: Forcing UMS to use TsMuxer always

Post by kuroukage »

There's an option under Transcoding Setings Tab > tsMuxeR > "Mux all audio tracks"

Do you have that checked?

Also under Mencoder do you have Remux videos with tsMuxeR when possible instead of transcoding checked as well?
黒影
_______________________________________________|_._._._._._._._._._
\______________________________________________|_#_#_#_#_#_#_|
------------------------------------------------------------------|---------------------
squadjot

Post by squadjot »

As kuroukage points out.. the "Remux videos with tsMuxeR when possible instead of transcoding" options, will transcode files with tsMuxer IF it's muxable by tsMuxer (not all files are) , and if the file is without subtitles/subtitles disbaled - atleast that's how i understand it.
Wolfgan

Post by Wolfgan »

I'm on the same boat as archy, preferring remuxing rather transcoding overall:

1-because my file server has not much processing power viewtopic.php?f=4&t=624#p4116,
2-because I believe on device renderers being optimized by manufacturers for battery life, optimal display, low cpu usage, etc; so no need to also process video on the server side (unless device doesn't support subs or similar stuff, which I hope the devices start accepting embedded soft subtitles-).

So I also put tsMuxer at the top of my video engine list, but I wonder if a more effective muxing can't be achieved with mencoder/ffmpeg (ie -acodec copy -vcodec copy)? I saw some commits on muxing lately on git (https://github.com/UniversalMediaServer ... NGELOG.txt FFmpeg supports video muxing, Made muxing more reliable) but I wonder if simplified re-muxing is the changes intention?
Thanks, Wolf.
-- UMS serving PS3, WDTV, Samsung H6400 + J5500 and Kalemsoft renderers! (no video transcoding but remuxing accepted :D )
Wolfgan

Post by Wolfgan »

Just to have the link handy in a related topic in case main remux gets replaced via ffmpeg in the future instead of tsMuxer: http://www.shortword.net/blog/2009/12/1 ... th-ffmpeg/
-- UMS serving PS3, WDTV, Samsung H6400 + J5500 and Kalemsoft renderers! (no video transcoding but remuxing accepted :D )