Problems using Windows 8

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
spida_singh

Re: Problems using Windows 8

Post by spida_singh »

Thanks Optimus

Have you tried running a move for about 30 minutes or so, to see if you get them java native thread errors?

Also, when you restart your machine, does UMS start correctly and pick up the renderers without any manual intervention? This was the issue i was having, restarting teh service or UMS fixed the issue, but only re-appeared during a restart of the machine / OS.
Optimus_prime

Post by Optimus_prime »

I'll run a movie for it's length today, and i'll take a look at the service/ UMS autostart stuff. I would like to get to the bottom of it for you guy's and hopefully get these issues your having sorted out :D
How Ask For Support
Remember, Debug Log's Can/Will Help and Explain your issues, we're not mind reader's but here to help
OS's I Use And Can Assist With: Windows 7/8, Mac OS-X 10.8 & 10.9
Mac OS-X Java 7 Builds Mac OS-X Java 7 Forum
R9deLima

Post by R9deLima »

@ Optimus

Wow!! It worked! These instructions should be carved in stone. I've come across so many people having problems with Windows 8 on the UMS and PMS forums and no one had a solution to the problem. All I did was force the correct networking interface and "Force ip of the server" with my ip address in general config as you instructed and boom, my ps3 was detected instantly. Hopefully it's a permanent fix as I mentioned before updates to the latest java would work for a day or so and then stop. I think we're good to go now. Thanks so much once again :D

*EDIT* okay, so we're not out of the woods yet. This only works if I hit save and restart each time I open up UMS. Otherwise it continues searching for a renderer. Also, when I exit out of UMS, the UMS icon does not exit from my PS3 XMB. It remains there as if i'm still logged in. Posting debug log shortly.
R9deLima

Post by R9deLima »

seems like me and spida are having the same issue of having to restart UMS manually in order to see the renderer.
Attachments
ums_dbg.zip
(20.02 KiB) Downloaded 456 times
Optimus_prime

Post by Optimus_prime »

Do me a favour R9deLima, could you goto this link and get this version of UMS and test it for me telling me what you find (a Debug log would be good too). I'm running this version and not seeing the same problems your getting. Also what type of renderer are you using, as i can't see it in the Debug log. Im just running a movie now so i'll get back with a log for that.
Also try running it as administrator, see what happens.

EDIT: Ok so i played a video for over an hour with no problems (apart from my laptop going to sleep just over the hour mark). I cant see any java exception errors and as you can see in the log, UMS does find all my renderer's (2 samsung TV's, 1 PS3 and a Yamaha Amp). Let me know how you go with testing that version, i do want to help as much as possible to get your issues fixed.
Attachments
ums_dbg_Win8_64_2.zip
(30.37 KiB) Downloaded 456 times
How Ask For Support
Remember, Debug Log's Can/Will Help and Explain your issues, we're not mind reader's but here to help
spida_singh

Post by spida_singh »

Right, so far so good

uninstalled UMS, and both javas

Reinstalled both java versions (J7UP17 X64 and X86)

Installed UMS 2.5.0 (from main page)

Forced network device of UMS in the general tab.

The program started with windows
And has been running a movie for 50 minutes now. Seems to be ok!!

The only issue i saw was when trying to install as a windows service, i got an error advising it was already installed....so for now, just letting the program start with windows.

Many thanks Prime!!!
spida_singh

Post by spida_singh »

OK so spoke to soon, hour and 20 minutes in, same java errors, ive removed the 64bit version of java.

Will restart and re-test.

CHeers
R9deLima

Post by R9deLima »

Hi Optimus,

I'm still having the same issue. Forcing the network interface and server IP only works when I hit the save and restart button. And when I exit, the UMS icon remains on the XMB of my PS3 just like before. Through normal start up I'm not even getting "renderer not found". It just stays stuck on "searching". The renderer I'm using is a PS3 and I have the latest 32 bit java installed. The debug attached looks pretty much the same as the one before. I've also included a debug of what happens when I hit save and restart, and the PS3 is found.
Attachments
ums_dbgsave and restart.zip
(22.63 KiB) Downloaded 462 times
ums_dbg.zip
(17.24 KiB) Downloaded 487 times
spida_singh

Post by spida_singh »

Just to let you know, PS3 media server service works fine on my set-up, not tested the video skipping after about an hour, will try that.

What is the difference between the two?
Optimus_prime

Post by Optimus_prime »

Ok Now for what i did to get UMS working on Windows 8.

Firstly to get the GUI working correctly you should (In the "General Settings" Tab of the GUI):
Force the network interface
Force an IP address
(And if you want the Port)
Add Universal Media Server to the Firewall Settings of Windows 8, making sure you select private/public checkboxs (or domain in my case as well)

To get the Service working correctly, launch the GUI and set this making sure you save your settings before quitting:
Force the network interface
Force an IP address
Force the Port
Go into the Firewall Settings in control panel and select "Advanced Settings"
Under "Inbound", add a rule for the Port you have forced (in my case 5002, windows 7 runs on 5001 at my joint)
Restart the service (or start it if you haven't already)
And that should fix it.

I'm currently running a movie for over an hour to see if i get any java exception errors (i haven't seen one yet in all my testing and run the latest builds with some of my own code thrown in)
If you want to see any of my logs just ask an i'll provide.
Also I've included a debug log with a run from a full movie with no problems. I've done nothing special to make this work, just the above and any info on these posts
Attachments
debug_UMS_Win8_64bit_3.zip
(32.96 KiB) Downloaded 480 times
How Ask For Support