Problems using Windows 8

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
R9deLima

Re: Problems using Windows 8

Post by R9deLima »

Hey Optimus,

I tried all of the above and still no luck. The program works perfectly fine on my Vista PC so I tried to line up the firewall settings to match my Windows 8 laptop and it's still not seeing my PS3. Attached is a debug of what happens when I run the program with the jar file. It connects perfectly that way. Is there any explanation as to why the ums.jar works, but the ums.exe is struggling? Maybe there's some kind of answer in the debug. Thanks so much for all your help. Much better than those other guys who just point you to a link to FAQ ;)
Attachments
ums_jar_dbg.zip
(11.38 KiB) Downloaded 474 times
Optimus_prime

Post by Optimus_prime »

Thats Sad to hear :(

Yes there is an explanation i think, it may have to do with the fact that windows 8 add's java (java.exe and javaw.exe)(but so does windows 7 by the way) to the firewall automatically. I'm not sure why when you attempt to launch UMS via the .exe you have so many problems. You don't have another anti-virus program or firewall installed. It's just i haven't had a problem with the UMS launching as normal or (when i fixed it that is) the service. It's very strange mate and it's got me beat what the cause of your problems are.
R9deLima wrote:Thanks so much for all your help. Much better than those other guys who just point you to a link to FAQ ;)
It's no problem, mate. I've only just started to try and assist others around here and it piqued my interest when people started saying they had problems with windows 8. Not everyone around here post's debug logs on there first post when they have a problem. It's the first thing we need when we want to help out :) . I hope you get your problem sorted out and if i can think of anything(or find anything) i'll post it here.
How Ask For Support
Remember, Debug Log's Can/Will Help and Explain your issues, we're not mind reader's but here to help
OS's I Use And Can Assist With: Windows 7/8, Mac OS-X 10.8 & 10.9
Mac OS-X Java 7 Builds Mac OS-X Java 7 Forum
R9deLima

Post by R9deLima »

The antivirus i'm running is Avast Free 7 and I'm running Malwarebytes Pro as an anti-malware. I'm going to try disabling both, including the Windows firewall with your fix and see what happens. If that doesn't work I have no problem running the program off the jar file. The java jar icon just looks ugly on my desktop compared to the neat exe icon...lol. If I come across some sort of alternative fix, I will post it. Cheers!
spida_singh

Post by spida_singh »

Just to let you know, i still have issues with the service, even though i followed all instructions.

Regarding the movie skipping after about an hour, this does also happen with PS3 Media Server.

It must be something with my set-up, something is causing these java errors, and i dont know what, ill have to get over to some java specific /memory forums.

Ive tried different version of UMS, java, and it still happens, will let you know if and when i get down to the bottom of it.

Cheers for all your help Prime!
An3skmbi

Post by An3skmbi »

Hi guys,

I got my UMS windows service to work on Windows 8 x64 by simply adding a firewall rule, BUT the rule needs to allow inbound connections to ALL PROGRAMS on your port (mine is 5001 - default)

Here are my steps:
1. Go to Windows Firewall, Advanced Settings
2. Inbound Rules, New Rule
3. Type of rule: PORT
4. TCP, specific port: 5001 (or whatever port you're using)
5. Action: ALLOW THE CONNECTION
6. Profile: ALL (don't think this one matters though, as long as you select your active profile)
7. Name: um, yeah...
8. Restart your UMS service.

It wasn't necessary for me to force the interface, IP, or port in the UMS config. The moment this rule was created, my Samsung TV picked it up :)
spida_singh

Post by spida_singh »

Just for information, i resolved my java errors and freezing by using a 64 bit version of the wrapper files

.DLL
.JAR
.EXE

I also changed the xmx value to 2048.

So far so good :D.
Optimus_prime

Post by Optimus_prime »

If you want builds with 64bit wrapper built in, the Beta Builds i build have it built in. Just remember to have 64bit java installed. You can get them on sourceforge
How Ask For Support
Remember, Debug Log's Can/Will Help and Explain your issues, we're not mind reader's but here to help
OS's I Use And Can Assist With: Windows 7/8, Mac OS-X 10.8 & 10.9
Mac OS-X Java 7 Builds Mac OS-X Java 7 Forum
bigdmajor

Post by bigdmajor »

Hello Everyone.

I'm quite naive, so forgive me, but I was having similar issues as everyone else. I followed the instructions posted by Optimus_prime and had no luck at first. Then I noticed that my wireless LAN card was listed in the "force networking on interface list" with an unexpected ip address (well, unexpected to me). It was listed as 192.168.1.7 instead of 192.168.1.1, which I though to be my computer. I changed the "force ip" to the ".7" and then it worked great and picked up all of my devices.

If the ip address had not been listed in the name of the interface device I would have gone on thinking it was ".1" and would have never gotten 'prime's instructions to work. Perhaps others have overlooked this as well (or maybe this is basic LAN 101 and I just look like an idiot).

In any case, thanks for the help prime and good luck everyone else.