Subtitle priority 2.6.0

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
squadjot

Subtitle priority 2.6.0

Post by squadjot »

Hi

The new 2.6.0 and the subtitle priorty default..
eng,off;*,eng;*,und
It's weird?..

1. If english audio, turn off subtitles.
2. If any language audio, use english subtitles?
3. If any language audio, use und susbtitles?
squadjot

Re: Subtitle priority 2.6.0

Post by squadjot »

But !!, changing subtitles priority to just *,und , makes my WDTVlive load the external (untagged) SRT subtitles again, (which i have been bitching about for a while) -
But now ..somehow theres no sound :s
orgon3

Post by orgon3 »

If the audio is selected as english, no subtitles are enabled (unless you are using the forced flag options). If the audio is not english, enable the english subtitles. If the audio is marked as any other language, use undetermined subtitles.

These are rules, and they are challenged in a linear fashion. It starts with the first rule. If it meets that criteria, it uses that rule. If not, it moves on to the next rule. If it meets that criteria, it applies that rule. If not, off to the next one, and so forth and so forth.

Remember, these apply to how the audio tracks are marked/labeled in their respective container. Just because the audio is english, doesn't mean it is marked as such.
emutt

Post by emutt »

WEll, I've been messing with this since 2.5 and I cannot get anything with a subtitle to even play.
I have messed with the settings etc and nothing will play that has a subtitle.

What am I doing wrong here?
squadjot

Post by squadjot »

Emutt, what render are you using? And by subtitles, do you mean SRT's with same name as movie? like: <movie.mp4> <movie.srt>
emutt

Post by emutt »

squadjot wrote:Emutt, what render are you using? And by subtitles, do you mean SRT's with same name as movie? like: <movie.mp4> <movie.srt>
I have tried all rederers (almost hard to say ;) ) . Some have the subs IN the MKV file...some I have as .srt files in a sub folder.

From what I've been able to isolate it seems that it's my MKV files being played with mencoder. I can get tsmuxer to play ... but then no subs.
mencoder just will NOT play them unless I have disable subs checked. This leaves me to think something is miss-set in the subs area.
I just like having the subs on during playback for my hard of hearing house mate :)

I just did a clean install. All defaults left alone. It seems to be the settings in Common Transcoding Settings for subtitles.
I WANT the english subtitles to be ON not off. I removed the first (en,off;). I want en to be ON :)
I have no clue as to what the setting s/b to do that. It worked in prior to 2.5 versions, now I dont know what to set it to.

This help explain the stich? :)
and thanks
squadjot

Post by squadjot »

Ok,..But what renderer are you using?, PS3, some TV?..what? =)
emutt

Post by emutt »

squadjot wrote:Ok,..But what renderer are you using?, PS3, some TV?..what? =)

oh geeez...duh. Usually thru my PS3, sometime thru my Kuro TV but seldom and haven't tried it on that.

UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE

Now, explain THIS to me :) I just tried playing the MKVs thru my KURO Pioneer plasma...they played fine WITH
the subtitles. I dropped back to playing thru the PS3 and NOW they play fine. So...something got gunked up in there
and switching the renderer jolted it back. I can't explain it...can you? :)

thanks for ur attention. :geek:
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

squadjot wrote:1. If english audio, turn off subtitles.
2. If any language audio, use english subtitles?
3. If any language audio, use und susbtitles?
Remember that is only the default for the English language, so it assumes that the user wants their content in English. So if you are an English speaker and the audio is English, you probably don't want subtitles, and if the audio isn't English then you probably do want subtitles, preferably English ones
squadjot

Post by squadjot »

SubJunk wrote:
squadjot wrote:So if you are an English speaker
But i'm not?, like alot of other people..
Edit: Also its nice to have subtitles if you cant watch TV too loud ie at night

More and more mkvs has eng lang + eng subtitles..
So..for newbie users it will use option #1 , turns off subtitles.. and there it ends.
So i take it as UMS is for english people by default =)

Why does it all has to be so complicated?..it should be those (fewer) with "advanced" sub/lang needs, that would have to insert a priority syntax..not all us mortals..

For the GUI i still think blank input field would be better, and make UMS handle subtitles like VLC. (and yes ExSport, by default vlc will logically use the SRT with same name, if its present)

Maybe the language priority inputfield could be a dropdown with predefined values+ comments like at common transcoding settings