Subtitle priority 2.6.0

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
squadjot

Re: Subtitle priority 2.6.0

Post by squadjot »

SubJunk wrote:squatjot, if you have a suggestion about how Live Subtitles could work better we are open to it. It seems to me this feature is as easy as possible already but maybe I'm missing something.
I'm not sure that i can come up with anything that could improve Live Subtitles, but what are we talking about here?
Will Live Subtiltles be the "solution" to the problem we were discussing?..or will we still have the subtitle priority option like current setup?

It's not that i think Live Subtitles itself is bad, especially if it's intended to work as a quick fix to "special" scenarios, Just like you only use transcode folder when you really have to. But if i had to choose my movie that way,..everytime.. gahh, no.

If any approvements, a bit funky, but UMS could detect language from untagged/und subtitles (mainly thinking about SRT's here). Simple word by word comparison/count from common word list.The user could define which languages he would be able to detect (to increase performance, iterating word by word with about 10 common words x (2-3) languages.. should not be too bad if its done on the fly) + i guess it could be cached.

Languages/words defined in somekind of conf file.

I've build one myself for the renamer script i was doing.. i think it worked great.

-- not that it's uber .. just an idea.
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

Not sure what would give you the impression that Live Subtitles is replacing anything. It's completely different. If you can't think of any way it can be improved then why make a big deal of it being ridiculous...
squadjot

Post by squadjot »

SubJunk wrote:Not sure what would give you the impression that Live Subtitles is replacing anything. It's completely different. If you can't think of any way it can be improved then why make a big deal of it being ridiculous...
First of all i'm not making a big deal about it but when a developer suddently says this:
SharkHunter wrote:The default behavior should be play the movie straight up no subs and default audio. And then you use LiveSubs to select an external SRT file that takes precedence over any embeded once.
Then how else should i ínterpret it (and before that YOU said.."yeah we have something in the works" - being not very specific)
So i really just wanted to out my opinion on if that were going to be the fix, cause that yea.. would be ridicilous.

Edit:
Gee, i even wrote that specifically.. "If this this is going to be the fix" -- and you didt really answer me , but chose to focus on my commnens on Live Subtitles.. and since Live Subtitles suddently became a part of the topic, i had to out my opinion, cause now it was as this was going to be the "fix" -
werty89

Post by werty89 »

Hello everyone.
I noticed that when i stream an mkv that has built in subtiles and i have in the same folder with the same name an external subtitle (srt), the media player (via allshare in my samsung es5500 tv) prefers to show the built in subtitle rather than the external. The weirder thing is that the movie's name is shown in my tv as "movietitle{external subtitles}". Isn't the default to load the external subtitles? Can i prevent the universal media server from loading the internal ones? (i don't need them, I always use external)
Samsung UE40ES5500 with Samsung AllShare
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

It prefers external ones but it's still based on language preferences. So if you have an internal and external subtitles for the English language, the external one will be given priority over the internal one. But if your language preference is set up to prefer English over Undefined subtitles, and the internal one is marked as English but the external one is undefined, then the English will be preferred.
werty89

Post by werty89 »

Thanks for your response!
I tried all the combinations and it didn't work. I want greek subtitles so i wrote "gre,und,eng,..." and even though the only internal subtitle is shown as english with media info, they still would be preffered instead of the external greek ones.
So there is no way to specify that "always prefer external subtitles than internal regardless the language priority"? I tried to erase all the boxes in subtitle priority tab, but couldn't achieve anything.
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

There isn't a way to do it but I do want to add that feature. In the meantime though if you do this I can maybe see what's going wrong: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=556
ExSport

Post by ExSport »

Relevant is audio/subtitle priority, not subtitle priority only.
werty89

Post by werty89 »

Here is the debug info.
the mkv i played at "07-07 03:53:45" is one with internal english and external greek subs and english are preffered for some reason.
Attachments
ums_dbg.zip
(36.72 KiB) Downloaded 499 times
ExSport

Post by ExSport »

Code: Select all

StreamExtensions=mkv,mp3,mp4,avi,mov
SubtitleHttpHeader=CaptionInfo.sec
Your renderer.conf say that external subs will be sent as separate stream (it must be supported by renderer to recognize it)
It also say that mkv file is streamed whatever PMS algorithm decides. In this case your audio/subtitle is totally ignored because config says to always stream mkv so PMS sends file as is, without any touch. That you can see eng subs is not thanks to PMS but thanks to your TV which supports embedded subs. You should be able to disable them via subtitle button directly on your TV.
Only solution how to play GRE subs (in your case it is UND) is going to TRANSCODE folder and choose your preferred subs or by reconfiguring renderer.conf to support MediaInfo=true so it means avoiding using transcodeextensions= and streamextensions= syntax which "stupidly" streams/transcodes everything.
If your renderer supports CaptionInfo.sec then you may be able select subs directly on TV via subtitle button.