Solved another issue that caused stuttering and pausing

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
jhr1948

Solved another issue that caused stuttering and pausing

Post by jhr1948 »

Hi, maybe this will help someone not go through multiple nights of banging their head against the wall, like i did.

I was getting stuttering and pausing on some mkv movies on my downstairs ps3. I tried many of the suggestions on the FAQs on stuttering issues (disabling settings on my NIC etc...). By the way, I'm running a wired gigabit network and have a brand new HP 3.6 dual core cpu and 6 gb ram, so i figured specs should be fine.

Yesterday, i woke up ready to keep at it and resolve the issue, but I decided to first try my older fat ps3 upstairs. The same files that were skipping the day before played flawlessly. After tons of trial and error, I realized my new LG Smart tv (only a week old) was the culprit. The new tv wasnt on when i tried the ps3 upstairs and all was good. I didn't make the connection immediately, but I tried several tests and i feel comfortable confirming this: If my LG tv (model 60LM7200) is plugged into my network, many (larger) MKV files (didn't really try any of my smaller avi's ect...) will start stuttering and even pause. I even tried taking the LG renderer out of the UMS program folder, but the problem still persisted.

Not sure why the tv being connected to the network causes this. I tried searching to see if maybe someone already ran into this problem, but didn't seem to find anything. So if this is not a repost, I hope I can save you a headache.
Optimus_prime

Re: Solved another issue that caused stuttering and pausing

Post by Optimus_prime »

Is it possible to post a debug log, one with the problem and one without the problem. I'd like to see if UMS captures the issue, make sure you set it on trace. Here's how you do it viewtopic.php?f=9&t=556
How Ask For Support
Remember, Debug Log's Can/Will Help and Explain your issues, we're not mind reader's but here to help
OS's I Use And Can Assist With: Windows 7/8, Mac OS-X 10.8 & 10.9
Mac OS-X Java 7 Builds Mac OS-X Java 7 Forum
jhr1948

Post by jhr1948 »

I definitely can do that Optimus. Give me about an hour as the wifey and me are watching tv and she's pretty tired of me messing with all of this :D

Btw, would you want me to put the LG renderer back in the renderers folder? The program persists whether the LG renderer is in or not, so i'm not sure what would be best to solve the issue.
Optimus_prime

Post by Optimus_prime »

It'll make no difference if it's there or not as UMS will still try and detect any media renderer thats on your network. Just put the file back in there, if not it'll return if you update UMS
How Ask For Support
Remember, Debug Log's Can/Will Help and Explain your issues, we're not mind reader's but here to help
jhr1948

Post by jhr1948 »

Ok, so one of the zip files has the word skip in it, i'm sure you could've figured that out :D .

I'll be honest, it did do some split second pausing, but i've seen it do worse. About 5 mins into the movie, there was a bit longer pause. Hopefully, it helps explain something.

Thanks
ums_dbg_skip.zip
(411.39 KiB) Downloaded 450 times
ums_dbg.zip
(78.95 KiB) Downloaded 431 times
Optimus_prime

Post by Optimus_prime »

So after looking at your log's i noticed that your new LG tv is sending UMS an extreme amount of requests. UMS is opening a new port every time that it receives a request from your device. But normally it's only going to need to do it a few times, but not three every second (and normally it's asking a different thing from UMS not the same request over and over). UMS is overwhelmed by the sheer amount of requests your LG tv is sending so that would be the reason why your video stutters and pauses. I'm wondering if it's something they've screwed up in the firmware. Have you tried to upgrade the TV's firmware? Hell of a problem from a new TV, you'd think they would have done a little quality testing before releasing a TV in the wild :lol:
How Ask For Support
jhr1948

Post by jhr1948 »

Ha! I looked at the trace logs right before I sent them and thought it curious the amounts of times the LG was communicating with UMS. Since its my first Smart tv I had not thought of it being the problem, especially since the computer I have is only a little over a month old. The firmware is updated, so they apparently just love making money even if the product is not really 100% ready for the market. Go Figure. :lol: