interframe at 50fps?

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
HT1

interframe at 50fps?

Post by HT1 »

hello all

so i'm just messing around with x265 video streaming, it's like watching a bluray.

i've got smooth-ish 60fps going with avisynth/mencoder (avi/ffmpeg doesn't want to work with x265)

but my tv needs it at 50fps , because 60fps or 59fps just make it stutter/judder like 2 or 3fps on occasion. those occasions happen when too many details are in a scene (bricks, grass, leaves, that sort of thing).

so i would like to minimize those stutters, i'm thinking the script is built to send 60fps to the tv on an assumption that it can play 60fps.

testing with multiple video files at 50 and 60fps, i found 50fps to be the best on my tv.

is it possible to set the fps somewhere for output to the tv ?

maybe it goes in the tv's renderer conf file and ums passes it to avisynth/menc?

ps: some vids here to test with your tv http://ufs910.mbremer.de/Test-Videos/

i found the FPS_test_1080p50_L4.2.mkv to be smooth as silk, while FPS_test_1080p59.94_L4.2.mkv and FPS_test_1080p60_L4.2.mkv to stutter.
Win 10 64bits
Qnap TS-212 2x3TB WD Red
Sony Bravia MN (my own conf)
squadjot

Re: interframe at 50fps?

Post by squadjot »

Hmm.. stutter occuring during complicated scenes most often indicate that there is a bandwith/bottleneck somewhere.
If you say stutter.. like.. the picture freezes a couple of miliseconds, then i would not guess that it was because of any framerate conversion, but.. i could be wrong. I'm not very familiar with Avisynth or Interfame

Edit: The effect of the framerate difference should be a constant effect. Something like every 6th frame being skipped, most noticable on slowly panning scenes or credits at the end of any movie.
HT1

Post by HT1 »

bandwidth in this case is not the issue. my nas can serve up the files i listed in my op just fine, the tv buffer is filled and playing smooth.

if i bypass UMS entirely, reading the 50fps file directly from the nas just the file, it is smooth , the 60fps file is stuttery. so bandwidth is fine, tv can play it fine.

if i use ums to upconvert a file to 60fps, the buffer on the computer is filing up fine and the tv plays it fine, until too much details like leaves, grass or city with tiny details. i'm trying to see if 50fps instead of 60fps would be better.

Can i do that with ums please?

what i want to do is take an x265 recorded at 23.976fps like all tv shows are, and use ums and my computer's cpu to use interframe to make it smooth at 50fps, how do i do that with ums?

if its possible. but if its not then we need a way from the devs to let us do it, either programmatically in the avisynth/memcoder advanced settings or much simpler , from the renderers conf files (list all fps speeds and choose highest automatically or manually through settings file).

here's something i've just read in the specs on the sony site for my kdl48-w600b, the panel is 1080p, 60hz, it can do 1080p/60fps only through HDMI.

"Through hdmi" is of particular importance, since if ums converts to 60fps and sends it to tv via network, the tv is not rated, in specs, for that. thus the stuttering (tv cpu is busy with networking and other details, robbing it of full 100% cpu power dedicated to only displaying, like a computer monitor or just with hdmi would allow).

interesting isn't it?

if this little detail is overlooked and ums is trying to do 60fps "just because all panels are 60hz panels" then you're not taking into account the fact that the panel needs to do more work if its reading a file than if its just displaying what it receives on hdmi.

small detail, big diference. this is a smart tv with a mefia player, not a computer monitor that is just passivelly displaying something from hdmi or components connections.

the cpu is used for file and network operations, so it looses a bit of overall power to the benefit of being able to read the network.

i need to test if my tv shows are smoother in 50fps than 60fps but i don't know how to tell ums/avisynth/menc to do 50fps not 59/60fps.

so i would like some help to achieve this. i already know ums can tell the script to do 60fps,it must be hardcoded in ums.

but how do i tell it to do 50fps?
Win 10 64bits
Qnap TS-212 2x3TB WD Red
squadjot

Post by squadjot »

I'm sorry i don't have an answer to your specific question. (I'm no expert)

How fast is the net interface on your TV? Just FYI, the TV could in theory receive too much data. (Happens on my old Sony Bravia)
The fact that it happens only on complicated scenes, really indicates a bottleneck. Atleast, that's where i'd look.

And, maybe attach a debug.log, maybe it shows something to those who can read it, and understand UMS better than i do.
HT1

Post by HT1 »

the tv receives enough data, maybe too much for it to display.

reading specs closely, i found it can do 1080p@60fps through HDMI not smart app "video player"

with video player its rated for 1080p@30fps maybe it can do more.

i played a 720p cartoon in x265 and it was smooth. same for live action movies.

except the credits at the end have the problem i mention in my op.

so, i'd like to tweak the settings, if anyone knows how please let me know.
Win 10 64bits
Qnap TS-212 2x3TB WD Red
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

We don't have the ability to tweak the setting right now, but it will always output 50fps if the input is 25fps. Maybe we can add a config setting soon to customize the framerate
HT1

Post by HT1 »

that would be fine

how about if if we put the device's framerates and resolutions in its .conf file, it could be used by ums to tell avisynth/mencoder how many frames to get for the tv.

Like this Sony tv for example can do 1080/30fps 720p/60fps through the media player over network as seen in the technical specs (experience suggests closer to 1080/40 maybe). But it can do 60fps by HDMI.

Anyway, i'm just trying to figure out how to make ums and the script work best for my situation and not over do it by creating unneeded extra frames or over saturating the device and causing it to lag.

i really do love the smoothness of the interframing, it's a good thing.
Win 10 64bits
Qnap TS-212 2x3TB WD Red